Cultivated Reef

HOW TO: DIY $110 150w MH Pendant - Regent Revisited

jmt

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Check the step by step thread. The phoenix bulbs weren't in existince, but their is a list of known compaitable bulbs with the M102 ballast. I personally have been using a coralife/coralvue bulb fine for 8 months. XM's have the most par, in general (not to sure about the 15k's, their only several months old on the 150 watt side). If you have a M81, or and electronic ballast, their are NO BULB COMPAITABLITY PROBLEMS, UNLESS OTHERWISE STATED BY THE BULB MANUFACTURER. Only worry if you went the cheaper M102 route.

Sam

Wiring diagram.

Key: OG Color -> Representation

Black -> Teal

Green -> Green

White -> Grey

Yellow -> Yellow (Sometimes red).

ojyarumaru

Thanks. I just bought the M102 ballast, and I think I'll go with the XM 15k b/c it's on sale @ hellolights.

neanderthalman

I don't have much experience with MH ballasts, but if it's similar to a fluorescent ballast, there's an issue with your diagram. You've drawn the black (120V live) wire as wiring directly to the bulb, then the white (neutral) wire wiring to the ballast.

Typically, with other ballasts, the black wire would connect to the ballast, then a red, yellow, or blue wire from the ballast would go to the bulb. The white neutral wire would go straight to the bulb, sometimes it would go to the bulb AND the ballast.

Is the wiring of a MH ballast fundamentally different than a fluorescent ballast?

AC stands for alternating current. The term implies that electricity can flow forwards and backwards through the circuit. So, technically, there is no + and - wire.

But, if it makes you feel better, you can wire it that way. :)

neanderthalman

You're right, AC does stand for alternating current...but in the electrical industry, there is what is called the National Electrical Code - in the US. In Canada, we have provincial electrical codes, but the material within them, and the NEC, is nearly identical.

The NEC requires that all switching be done on the ungrounded side of a load, except in unusual circumstances. What that means, is that any lightswitch, timer, or ballast must be on the ungrounded side of a load, in this case, the bulb. Since the neutral of your home's wiring is grounded, all switching, including the ballast, should be wired on the live side - the black wire. You may notice that I never called them + and -.

can that same regent fixture be used for a 70W halide? do i still have to cut the socket to run a 70W bulb?

Yes, you can use the same regent.

No, do not cut the socket. Just chisel the ceramic away so that the bulb will fit.

neanderthalman: It's nice to see someone who knows a little extra. So, sorry for the "newb" response.

I've set up the ballasts both ways with similar results. When I talked to a friend's dad (certified electrician), he just advised me to make sure I always had it earth grounded. But then again, you are from Canada. :

neanderthalman

Damn us Canucks and our metric system ;) Take your next trip in kilometers, they're shorter, so you'll get there faster.....:P

The grounding is absolutely more important than whether you've switched the live side or the neutral side. The light will work either way, but there's some safety reasons as to why you should wire a switch on the live side of a load. What can happen if you put the switch on the neutral side, instead of the live side, is that if you have a short circuit between the light and switch (or ballast), the light will turn on.

With a light, it doesn't really matter if a short circuit makes it work, unless 120V put directly across a MH bulb will damage it. If it does, it'll destroy your bulb, which sucks because you could have wired the switch on the live side with exactly the same effort/cost/time spent. If you wire the switch on the live side, a short circuit will just trip the breaker, without damaging your light. No reason to risk it, unless you know for certain that 120V won't damage the bulb. I don't think it would...but you never know.

This is more important with machinery. If, say, a start button was wired on the neutral, a loose wire that falls out and touches the box will start the machine suddenly. It might kill somebody in the process. If the same button is on the live side, a wire that falls out will either blow a fuse, trip a breaker, or keep the machine from starting at all.

• 7 months later...

They are cheapest at wal mart. The ones you are seeing for $100 are probably the ballasted versions, which you don't want (unless it has a metal halide ballast, which would be cool). BTW, the coralvue reeflux series runs fine on the M102 ballast, and looks GREAT too! Pure white!!

Sam

• 3 weeks later...

Not yet... b/c the coralvue reeflux 10k has more par for a better color imo. However, it will MORE THAN LIKELY work, since the majority of bulbs do.

Sam

• 6 months later...
chrisstankevitz
Well, I'll let you know as I just bought one.

How did it go?

Thanks. I just bought the M102 ballast, and I think I'll go with the XM 15k b/c it's on sale @ hellolights.

How did it go?

Archived