Coral Vue Hydros

Chris' CAD Lights 45g Shallow : Another Re-Scape (Video)

cnseekatz

I tried a lawnmower not too long ago, and the poor guy jumped.... somehow.... I had a my lid on at the time, he somehow forced a little gap. I think the snapping shrimp scared him into jumping. None of my other fish every even noticed him. Honestly, I think I'm maxed out on fish, so I'll need to swap out some of the old ones. There are only three fish that I will buy no questions asked if I see them. Kuiter's Wrasse, Choat's Wrasse, and the yellow dwarf lion. If I see any one of those, it's going in my tank, and I'll figure the rest out later.

• Like 2

Hi Chris,

just caught up with the thread, things looking fantastic.  Can you go over your levels, KH, PO4, nitrates and such for me?  Thanks!

1 hour ago, markalot said:

Hi Chris,

just caught up with the thread, things looking fantastic.  Can you go over your levels, KH, PO4, nitrates and such for me?  Thanks!

Hey Mark. I just recently tested my CA, KH and Mg. I dose two part, and my CA had run out, so it was low (duh) and my ALK was high. CA was at about 340, and KH was about 13. Mg is pretty stable at 1500-1550. I normally like to have my CA at about 450 and my KH around 11. 

To be honest, I haven't tested any other parameters in a long time! Using API test kits, Nitrates & Phosphates never register. I don't believe for a second that my nitrates and phosphates are zero, because I feed pretty heavily, and I don't do water changes all that often. 

I need to break out the kit again tomorrow to make sure that my levels have evened out since my doser ran dry. I'll share my numbers then.

• Like 2
cnseekatz

I had purchased a Panworld 50-PX external pump for a customer and they didn't end up needing it, so after a long unsuccessful attempt at selling it, I decided to use it. This morning I raided the Home Depot plumbing aisle and set up a salt water mixing station. I only had to take two additional trips to HD to pick up more pvc fittings. A word to the wise, make a drawing and count your fittings twice, then buy 3 extra everything! ;)

So now I have a fresh water bin (green) and a slightly smaller salt water container (grey). The RO/DI fills the green container and shuts off with a float valve. Based on how the various valves are turned on & off, I can then pump fresh water out of the central spigot, pump fresh water into the salt water bin, circulate the salt water from the bottom to the top of the grey bin, and empty the salt water via gravity from the far right spigot. My 5 gallon jugs fit right underneath the spigots to (hopefully) avoid splashing/spilling. 

I ordered a 3 plug switch board, which should be arriving today. It'll make it easy to turn the pump on and off, and leaves me a couple extra outlets if I decide I ever need to heat the water or add any circulations pumps. I'm hoping the feed from the pump to the top of the salt bin will provide enough movement to mix and aerate the salt water.

The fresh water bin is (slowly) filling up right now, then I'll have to leak test the whole thing! :unsure:

Mixing%20Station%201_zpsih3mtok7.jpg

Mixing%20Station%202_zps2grikoiz.jpg

Mixing%20Station%203_zps9we4crbk.jpg

• Like 8
cnseekatz
15 hours ago, kimberbee said:

Kitchen sink for me!! 

That chair though... :lol:

Chair = Super Pro!

I tested all the different functions today and it worked like a charm! 8 cups of salt into 15 gallons of RO/DI gets me pretty dern close.

The pump is the perfect size, not too fast, not too slow. Having the power switch is key!

• Like 3
SheriffTang638
38 minutes ago, cnseekatz said:

FTS2_zpsmbkmu7tn.jpg

Looking beautiful!  Btw, have you ever been to Vivid Aquariums in Orange?  They've got some great stuff. :)

cnseekatz
2 hours ago, SheriffTang638 said:

Well, they actually are in Canoga Park, so my mistake.  Still a great store though.

Haha... I was going to say, I've been to every fish store within 15 miles of Irvine, and can't think of a Vivid... Then I remembered I've been to Vivid in the valley! ;) It's a cool shop... just FAR!

2 hours ago, ninjamyst said:

Wow, that's really nice.  Makes me miss my little shallow nano.  #shallow4life

Thanks man! #shallowinallthings

• Like 1
cnseekatz
2 hours ago, stellablue said:

Chris - I'm loving that shot!! Everything looks absolutely beautiful. 

Thanks darlin!

• Like 1
ninjamyst

LFS got two Potters wrasse in this week.  If they are still available Saturday, thinking about getting one of them.  Based on your experience with yours, are they too fragile and difficult??

cnseekatz
7 minutes ago, ninjamyst said:

LFS got two Potters wrasse in this week.  If they are still available Saturday, thinking about getting one of them.  Based on your experience with yours, are they too fragile and difficult??

I've only ever had one Potter's and it was super durable. She didn't hide when she went in the tank, and started eating right away. She got along fine with my other leopards... until she didn't. She bullied my Ornate until it died, then started chasing my Choati. I was ready to trap her and give her away, but she went carpet-surfing instead! Beautiful fish though...

2015-09-29%252010.55.14_zpscevhhcn3.jpg&

• Like 3
cnseekatz
36 minutes ago, ninjamyst said:

Nice, did you QT or FW dip any of your wrasse prior to DT?  I read they are prone to internal parasites.

I've tried QT with two leopard wrasses, and they both died in QT. That being said, I've had leopards die after being added straight to my tank... so it's tough to say whether or not the QT had anything to do with it. If you can find a specimen that's eating at the fish store, then you're 5 steps ahead of the game. If she's eating AND she's been there for more than a week, your chances are pretty good. They are prone to internal parasites, but QT is difficult. So my new practice is to skip QT and just treat the entire tank with Prazipro. It's reef safe, and should take care of parasites. If she's eating to begin with, she should survive until the treatment is done. 

Here's an interesting article from an author who claims a high level of success with his acclimation techniques... though they are pretty serious.

https://reefbuilders.com/2013/02/02/australian-leopardwrasse-quarantine-technique/

• Like 1
ninjamyst
16 minutes ago, cnseekatz said:

I've tried QT with two leopard wrasses, and they both died in QT. That being said, I've had leopards die after being added straight to my tank... so it's tough to say whether or not the QT had anything to do with it. If you can find a specimen that's eating at the fish store, then you're 5 steps ahead of the game. If she's eating AND she's been there for more than a week, your chances are pretty good. They are prone to internal parasites, but QT is difficult. So my new practice is to skip QT and just treat the entire tank with Prazipro. It's reef safe, and should take care of parasites. If she's eating to begin with, she should survive until the treatment is done. 

Here's an interesting article from an author who claims a high level of success with his acclimation techniques... though they are pretty serious.

https://reefbuilders.com/2013/02/02/australian-leopardwrasse-quarantine-technique/

Yea, I am doing observation for a flame angel in my nano and it came with parasites.  Two rounds of prazipro and 1 FW dip and it's eating like a champ now.  I am debating whether to do FW dip at all given how sensitive wrasse are.  

• Like 1
cnseekatz
23 minutes ago, ninjamyst said:

Yea, I am doing observation for a flame angel in my nano and it came with parasites.  Two rounds of prazipro and 1 FW dip and it's eating like a champ now.  I am debating whether to do FW dip at all given how sensitive wrasse are.  

I've never heard of anyone doing FW dips for wrasses. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Playing with my new Samsung Galaxy S8. This is straight off the camera, no editing. Not too shabby! Those are basil leaves by the way... this girl was tiny.

20170510_102100_zpsccjoharl.jpg

20170510_102001_zps2m2twaeg.jpg

• Like 5