Pod Your Reef

Chris' CAD Lights 45g Shallow : Another Re-Scape (Video)

cnseekatz

Went to the fish store for some water, and came home with this guy. Not sure what it is... some kind of blue tort or tenuis. 

20170219_174342_zpslesykrc0.jpg

ATL Joleen

20170221_092734_zpsasrkq9ap.jpg

What I think is an old Red Planet frag that I thought was dead... 

20170221_092740_zpspp1sza4j.jpg

PC Rainbow Acro

20170221_092749_zpsbsvyab5j.jpg

• Like 1
1 hour ago, gena said:

How's that long tentacle toadstool doing?

Long tentacle my butt.... Growing big, but very short extension. Maybe because it's getting blasted by my Gyre? The one at the LFS has nice long tentacles... strange.

20161212_104022_zpstezcwmob.jpg

31 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

I recently got a JF fox flame too, but the tips haven't colored up yet. How much light do you have yours in? 

Directly under the Radion. Tons of light... lots of flow.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, cnseekatz said:

Thanks! I found some reports that they like lower light (for acros) so I had it off center. Maybe I'll move it, or just turn up the lights a bit, which I need to do anyway.

1 hour ago, cnseekatz said:

Long tentacle my butt.... Growing big, but very short extension. Maybe because it's getting blasted by my Gyre? The one at the LFS has nice long tentacles... strange.

20161212_104022_zpstezcwmob.jpg

Still gorgeous!  Does the one at your LFS look like the one in the video?  Both are nice!  I kinda like yours better.  The color is incredible :).

• Like 1
2 hours ago, cnseekatz said:

I was hoping for this!

That's beautiful!  Reminds me of an elegance coral. How is yours positioned relative to the Gyre?  It is getting similar flow patterns as the one in the video?

Went away for a long weekend to Washington DC. I was only going to be gone for 3 nights, so I filled up the ATO reservoir, put on the lids, gave everyone a little extra food and took off. I asked my mom to swing by the house if she had time to throw a few pellets in the tank. 

She went over on Sunday morning and I got home on Sunday night. She was dog sitting, so we went by her house before we went home.

Her: "The tank down below (gestures to the ground) was REALLY low, but I couldn't find the water bottles to refill it."

Me: "... Uh, the tank down below? Like the sump?"

Her: "I don't know, the one down below the main tank."

Me: "Well the sump is never full... how low was it?"

Her: "Like REALLY low... 1 or 2 inches?"

I panic...

Me: "WHAT?!" Were the pumps still on? Was there water everywhere? Were there sirens going off? Is my tank alive?!

Her: "No... it was just empty."

I can't imagine how that could be possible unless there was a massive leak, which would have caused water to spill everywhere

Me: "So the tank in the cabinet was practically empty?"

Her: "No... the black plastic one on the side of the cabinet"

I laugh out loud... It's the ATO reservoir... 

Note to self: Explain the basic terminology and function of my reef tank before I ask someone to give me a status report. Geez... I sprouted like 3 new gray hairs after that conversation!

• Like 9

I suck at full tank shots, so here's an updated video. Nuisance algae is mostly gone thanks to some aggressive chemical treatments, SPS is growing and showing nice color. Fish are healthy, and everything is good. fingerscrossed

The colors in the video are a little purpley... and I picked the most obnoxious 80's synthesizer music I could find. It sounds like the Neverending Story on Quaaludes... you're welcome!

• Like 6

Its been a while since I checked out your thread.  The tank looks great and I loved the story of you mom describing the 'tank down below'.  I could feel your heart stopping!  It was hilarious when I realized that she was talking about the ATO.

• Like 1

So, if it's not one thing, it's another. I just started noticing aiptasia popping up in my display.

Seriously... is it always our fate to be fighting something in our tank? Nuisance algae, pests, nutrients... is there ever a time when you can just relax and enjoy?

In this case, the aiptasia have shown up rather oddly at the same time that I got rid of my matted filefish. What a freakin' coincidence! 

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, cnseekatz said:

So, if it's not one thing, it's another. I just started noticing aiptasia popping up in my display.

Seriously... is it always our fate to be fighting something in our tank? Nuisance algae, pests, nutrients... is there ever a time when you can just relax and enjoy?

In this case, the aiptasia have shown up rather oddly at the same time that I got rid of my matted filefish. What a freakin' coincidence! 

I have ONE aiptasia in my 75 gallon and ONE in my nano.  Both have not multiplied and I am scared of even messing with it.  

1 hour ago, ninjamyst said:

I have ONE aiptasia in my 75 gallon and ONE in my nano.  Both have not multiplied and I am scared of even messing with it.  

simpsons-fire.gif

• Like 2
1 minute ago, teenyreef said:

Nice! Who was selling them?

Someone in San Diego. Probably going to try to pick them up and save myself the shipping! :)

• Like 2