Cultivated Reef

Chris' CAD Lights 45g Shallow : Another Re-Scape (Video)

cnseekatz

12 minutes ago, cnseekatz said:

Haha... yeah, he's becoming more brazen lately. All the (remaining) fish in my tank have been together for over a year. I've come to the conclusion that if I want to add any more fish, I'm going to have to clean house and start from scratch. There is a tenuous peace in my tank, but any newcomers just get beat up.

Yea I would never add another damsel to any of my tanks....it never works out well. Not to mention they are are always so hard to catch.

4 hours ago, ninjamyst said:

wow, very nice.  i love the depth the new scape gives.  those pom pom xenia in the back are awesome

Thanks man! The xenia is gonna need to be cut back before it takes over the world... but for now I like it too!

Pulling this to the new page:

• Like 8

I really need to rethink what I am doing wrong.  I have like 6 SPS frags in a 75 gallon tank and I am out of room but you have like 20+ SPS, some good size colonies too.  Where did my space go?!  Maybe I paid for a 75 gallon and got a 55 gallon tank...hahah

• Like 2
52 minutes ago, ninjamyst said:

I really need to rethink what I am doing wrong.  I have like 6 SPS frags in a 75 gallon tank and I am out of room but you have like 20+ SPS, some good size colonies too.  Where did my space go?!  Maybe I paid for a 75 gallon and got a 55 gallon tank...hahah

I have WAY more rock than you... You dedicated much more room for your LPS and nem... and fish. Hahah...

• Like 1

Can anyone help me figure out what's wrong with my SSC? One side looks awesome (facing the gyre), and the other side (facing away from the gyre) looks like it's rotting. Looks like a soft white fungus or something growing on it, but it's hard and seems to be part of the coral. This colony is right at the top of the tank getting high light and heavy flow (though the flow is mostly from one direction).

Funny thing is this is exactly what happened to my last SSC colony when it reached about the same size. My other acros are doing fine.

20170530_162255_zpsi9niwsql.jpg

• Like 2

I love the new scape - everything looks great! I can't help you with the SSC, unfortunately, I've almost the same thing happen to couple of my frags. One day they're doing great and then a couple weeks later they die all along one side. But the other side is fine. For me seems like it's the shady side that dies, though, and I've always assumed it was due to LED shadowing. But I never thought about it being the side away from the flow - I'll have to take another look to see if that has anything to do with it for my frags.

On 5/30/2017 at 7:10 PM, teenyreef said:

I love the new scape - everything looks great! I can't help you with the SSC, unfortunately, I've almost the same thing happen to couple of my frags. One day they're doing great and then a couple weeks later they die all along one side. But the other side is fine. For me seems like it's the shady side that dies, though, and I've always assumed it was due to LED shadowing. But I never thought about it being the side away from the flow - I'll have to take another look to see if that has anything to do with it for my frags.

Yeah, mine is directly under the light, so there's no shadowing going on... and the weird deterioration just continues. 

Everything else looks pretty good. After a few years in the hobby, I've discovered that there is ALWAYS SOMETHING wrong with/in our tanks. It might be as minor as one coral not looking good, or a terrorist fish, or a total and complete meltdown. I feel like I'm constantly bouncing from one fire to the next. Perhaps that's just the nature of trying to maintain a complex ecosystem in a jar. 

I had my SSC do that as well.  It doesn't do well shaded and needs decent random flow.  Watch the polyps and make sure they are moving casually in random directions and not getting blasted.  I dislike SSC, it's a very finicky coral that does not match my casual style.  Mine ended up dying.

1 hour ago, markalot said:

I had my SSC do that as well.  It doesn't do well shaded and needs decent random flow.  Watch the polyps and make sure they are moving casually in random directions and not getting blasted.  I dislike SSC, it's a very finicky coral that does not match my casual style.  Mine ended up dying.

Lame

• Like 1
1 hour ago, cnseekatz said:

Lame

Just grow what grows well and discard what doesn't.  Making changes when only one coral is in a funk can lead to all kinds of issues.  I had to let my cool pink acro die because everything else was fine.  Now it's dead and everything else is still fine.  Sucks, bad, but some corals (especially fricking acros) just don't work in some tanks.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, markalot said:

Just grow what grows well and discard what doesn't.  Making changes when only one coral is in a funk can lead to all kinds of issues.  I had to let my cool pink acro die because everything else was fine.  Now it's dead and everything else is still fine.  Sucks, bad, but some corals (especially fricking acros) just don't work in some tanks.

Probably good advice. Oh well.

• Like 1

Not much to report recently. The tank is pretty much on autopilot. I've struggled a bit with a cyano outbreak, which I think killed off all but one head of my remaining torch. I tried using chemiclean, and immediately lost a big Cali-Tort... It RTN'd overnight. Everything else seems fine. 

20170616_182428_zpslxfevijc.jpg

• Like 4

I just pulled out my Coralife Turbo Twist UV Sterlizer on a hunch, and found it full of rust. Not sure if that has anything to do with my torches melting, but I'm hoping that was what was happening.

If you use the Turbo Twist, check it often (like once a month) because the internal metal reflector, which comes into contact with salt water (by design), will rust. I can't believe that the product is manufactured that way. I can't believe I bought one!

RIP Sebastian

Congrats on TOTM! I'm in the market for a new light and am considering the XR30. DO you get good SPS growth, or do you think I should go t5? Thanks!

54 minutes ago, RIP Sebastian said:

Congrats on TOTM! I'm in the market for a new light and am considering the XR30. DO you get good SPS growth, or do you think I should go t5? Thanks!

Thanks! I have nothing but great things to say about the Radion. I've never used anything besides LED so I can't compare it to T5s, but I can tell you that you can absolutely grow SPS with the Radion. It's a significant initial investment, but the Radion is small, it's sleek and doesn't take away from the overall look of your tank. The bulbs don't need to be replaced, it doesn't create a large amount of heat, and (I believe) it's the most energy efficient option. Buy with confidence!

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Rehype said:

Congrats buddy well deserved! Great job at making her bigger and better than before!

Thank you sir! Your archipelago was the reason I got into shallow tanks, so I give you a lot of credit!

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, cnseekatz said:

Thank you sir! Your archipelago was the reason I got into shallow tanks, so I give you a lot of credit!

:blush:  

RIP Sebastian
16 hours ago, cnseekatz said:

Thanks! I have nothing but great things to say about the Radion. I've never used anything besides LED so I can't compare it to T5s, but I can tell you that you can absolutely grow SPS with the Radion. It's a significant initial investment, but the Radion is small, it's sleek and doesn't take away from the overall look of your tank. The bulbs don't need to be replaced, it doesn't create a large amount of heat, and (I believe) it's the most energy efficient option. Buy with confidence!

Thanks for your feedback!