inTank Media Baskets

Kat's Birthday Party

metrokat

Eeeeks, nasty work. The fuge is offline. Moving the main tank in a few.

20141111_091939.jpg

Sam the mandarin, Pete the pistol and Mantis the pistol are very stressed and are still in the fuge hiding. Debating whether or not to put the fuge back online for the 1-2 weeks that this tank will still be running. Logically I should just take it offline right now but where do I put Sam, Pete and Mantis till then? Pete and Mantis cannot be in the same neighborhood. They are both huge pistol shrimps and not the same kind.

20141111_091928.jpg

Fuge rocks, all of these were FW dipped. The green stuff is all caulerpa, turf algae and GHA.

20141111_092421.jpg

Yay tank move. At least you aren't moving 900 miles North right in the middle, talk about stress.

Not to act like a vulture, but what are your plans for that sump now? I've got projects...dastardly devious designs. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have the weirdest urge to go circle some old food.

• Like 2

Yay tank move. At least you aren't moving 900 miles North right in the middle, talk about stress. Not to act like a vulture, but what are your plans for that sump now? I've got projects...if you'll excuse me, I have the weirdest urge to go circle some old food.

The sump has a couple of big boy things happening, such as a Bubble Mangus skimmer, Jabeo 6000 pump, manifold, and a custom reactor tray that will fit 2 reactors.

Sumpsimmerreturnside.jpg

This is a 2D model of the sump but the section on the right with the 3 holes is the reactor tray.

It sits on the edges of the sump and hovers above the pump which is below the tray. Since I don't have all the pieces and parts yet, I don't know if the reactor tray will work yet. If it doesn't the manifold has a phosban reactor in the plans as a back up.

20141014_212800.jpg

The fuge side will have a scrubber. Again not sure if it will work and if it does not, we go back to it being just a manifold feeding the fuge.

20141027_185258.jpg

• Like 4
The sump has a couple of big boy things happening, such as a Bubble Mangus skimmer, Jabeo 6000 pump, manifold, and a custom reactor tray that will fit 2 reactors.

Sumpsimmerreturnside.jpg

This is a 2D model of the sump but the section on the right with the 3 holes is the reactor tray.

It sits on the edges of the sump and hovers above the pump which is below the tray. Since I don't have all the pieces and parts yet, I don't know if the reactor tray will work yet. If it doesn't the manifold has a phosban reactor in the plans as a back up.

20141014_212800.jpg

The fuge side will have a scrubber. Again not sure if it will work and if it does not, we go back to it being just a manifold feeding the fuge.

20141027_185258.jpg

I'm kind of suprised you aren't moving to a full blown macro display plumbed in to the same sump. Not that their is a single thing wrong with the design, I could just picture you kicking it zia style in the shoe nook, in the shoe nook, in the show nook, yeah. I suppose you have the room and the technical ability to add something like that later if you're so inclined.

An ATS would probably be redundant on a system with 4 proposed reactors, but the design is so simple you might s well include it if you have the space.

So far as the reactor tray, you could hypothetically saw it in half down the middle and add adjustable hinges so it could fit anything, assuming it doesn't work as intended out of the box. It would be more complex than just that obviously, but I do ever so love to tinker.

One last thing...lemme buy that RSM sump dawg.

I'm kind of suprised you aren't moving to a full blown macro display plumbed in to the same sump. Not that their is a single thing wrong with the design, I could just picture you kicking it zia style in the shoe nook, in the shoe nook, in the show nook, yeah. I suppose you have the room and the technical ability to add something like that later if you're so inclined. An ATS would probably be redundant on a system with 4 proposed reactors, but the design is so simple you might s well include it if you have the space. So far as the reactor tray, you could hypothetically saw it in half down the middle and add adjustable hinges so it could fit anything, assuming it doesn't work as intended out of the box. It would be more complex than just that obviously, but I do ever so love to tinker. One last thing...lemme buy that RSM sump dawg.

I have to run out so I will respond in detail. But I do have a full display fuge! I can't do without my fuge. That's why it is a custom sump.

• Like 1

Sumpsimmerreturnside.jpg

20141014_212800.jpg

20141027_185258.jpg

I'm not the only one who draws/cuts things out of graph paper!!!

• Like 1
I'm kind of suprised you aren't moving to a full blown macro display plumbed in to the same sump. Not that their is a single thing wrong with the design, I could just picture you kicking it zia style in the shoe nook, in the shoe nook, in the show nook, yeah. I suppose you have the room and the technical ability to add something like that later if you're so inclined.

An ATS would probably be redundant on a system with 4 proposed reactors, but the design is so simple you might s well include it if you have the space.

So far as the reactor tray, you could hypothetically saw it in half down the middle and add adjustable hinges so it could fit anything, assuming it doesn't work as intended out of the box. It would be more complex than just that obviously, but I do ever so love to tinker. .

So, I'm going to have 2 reactors. One will have carbon/GFO mix, the other will run denitrate.

The ATS on top of a macro fuge is a test. My current setup grows the bad algae like a mother in what once used to be a pretty macro display fuge. This is obviously my system finding a way to deal with the excess nutrients. So I thought I would give the algae a place to grow so that the fuge can be pretty again. I'm not sure anybody running an ATS can also grow pretty display macros, perhaps I can test that. It will be a while before the new system can ramp up in DOC and nutrients to show any results on the scrubber. The system will be young even though I will add some of the old sand and all the old rocks that work in the scape design.

The sump is rather huge and heavy, shipping will be crazy on it!

So, I'm going to have 2 reactors. One will have carbon/GFO mix, the other will run denitrate. The ATS on top of a macro fuge is a test. My current setup grows the bad algae like a mother in what once used to be a pretty macro display fuge. This is obviously my system finding a way to deal with the excess nutrients. So I thought I would give the algae a place to grow so that the fuge can be pretty again. I'm not sure anybody running an ATS can also grow pretty display macros, perhaps I can test that. It will be a while before the new system can ramp up in DOC and nutrients to show any results on the scrubber. The system will be young even though I will add some of the old sand and all the old rocks that work in the scape design. The sump is rather huge and heavy, shipping will be crazy on it!

If there are nutrients for the bad algae to eat, that means there are nutrients for the pretty algae to eat. The bad may be able to out compete the good algae if you under feed your system, but if there's more light and algae good or bad to consume nutrients, they will consume them, one should just grow faster than the other, that's all.

Hey Kat do you have any decorative macro algae hidden away? Like ochtodes, dragons breath and such.

Don't toss any! Pack it up because my macro selection is sparse.

I do!

School of cardinals

Wrasse Harem

School of Anthias

BENNY!

Plus all your current inhabitants?

IMO a "school" of cardinals will work, a wrasse harem will work with a smaller species, and the same for the anthias.

I'd highly recommend investing in a good skimmer.

Looks like I picked a bad week to start a new tank thread :D

But seriously, of course I'll be following along with the rest of the Nano-Reef world. I'm already nervous along with you about how the transition will go. Seems like it's a high wire act without a net!

Are you at all worried that from the Viewing Chair you'll be looking up at the tank? I'd always be getting a crick in my neck or changing positions to get a better view.