ReefCleaners.org

Kat's Birthday Party

metrokat

it's always their fault.

I shipped an overnight UPS the other day - coral. The damn box got stuck in the UPS drop box thing. Ugh. I sat there waiting for the UPS man. To top it off it charged me for a 3 pound box - volume weight when it was only a pound. So my quote to my buyer was off by a lot. Bastards. At least I now insure all coral shipments. I am not taking any chances.

UPS is a joke, the cockgobbler that delivers here literally throws my packages over my 6' fence and walks away even if sig is required and labeled fragile. Call and they "ooooh we are sorry, can you prove thats what he did?" No but everything is broken.... FWIW I don't believe they will pay out on that insurance for live animals which includes coral. So not only are you still taking chances, your likely paying an extra couple bucks for nothing ;) And I believe they all have a clause where they are not responsible if weather/ natural causes delays them and its always something they can use to get out of it.... goodluck tho.

Save me from crazy podcasters.

:lol:

UPS is a joke, the cockgobbler that delivers here literally throws my packages over my 6' fence and walks away even if sig is required and labeled fragile. Call and they "ooooh we are sorry, can you prove thats what he did?" No but everything is broken.... FWIW I don't believe they will pay out on that insurance for live animals which includes coral. So not only are you still taking chances, your likely paying an extra couple bucks for nothing ;) And I believe they all have a clause where they are not responsible if weather/ natural causes delays them and its always something they can use to get out of it.... goodluck tho.

i noticed ups has gone downhill in the past few years... 5 years ago i would only order ups, now i avoid making purchases that only offer their shipping. USPS has really gotten it together for me lately.

• Like 1
Lauraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

For me ups is waaaaaay better than usps as my usps guy could care less if my $2000 coral dies because of him while my ups guy at least notes the live animal sticker.

jedimasterben

For me ups is waaaaaay better than usps as my usps guy could care less if my $2000 coral dies because of him while my ups guy at least notes the live animal sticker.

The problem is that the only thing that they pay attention to is the label, and that's all they're supposed to look at. And realistically, adding 'live animal' or 'fragile: glass' or stuff like that to the box really makes it a target for the 'throwers' that unload the trucks, a lot of them are college kids that don't give a damn, and if they're having an off day... well, you get the picture lol. The best packaging is a plain brown cardboard box with only the proper shipping label on the outside (and a yellow 'heavy' sticker if it weighs over 70lbs). :)

Woah what coral are you ordering? Or did you order multiple pieces from a vendor on here? If so I'm pretty sure I know who it is from.

I have heard from a few sources that labels don't mean anything to anyone, and that the only label that helps prevent damage and such is things along the lines of "human waste specimen" and that is only because they don't want anything to break and end up with some bodies body fluids on them.

jedimasterben

Woah what coral are you ordering? Or did you order multiple pieces from a vendor on here? If so I'm pretty sure I know who it is from.

I have heard from a few sources that labels don't mean anything to anyone, and that the only label that helps prevent damage and such is things along the lines of "human waste specimen" and that is only because they don't want anything to break and end up with some bodies body fluids on them.

There are only a very small number of 'correct labels' besides the shipping label, and usually they deal with hazardous materials. For shipments with dry ice, vent holes must be cut in the box, a paper must be filled out before shipping, and a small one needs to be taped onto the box labeling how much dry ice was in the package at the time of shipping.

Lauraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

The problem is that the only thing that they pay attention to is the label, and that's all they're supposed to look at. And realistically, adding 'live animal' or 'fragile: glass' or stuff like that to the box really makes it a target for the 'throwers' that unload the trucks, a lot of them are college kids that don't give a damn, and if they're having an off day... well, you get the picture lol. The best packaging is a plain brown cardboard box with only the proper shipping label on the outside (and a yellow 'heavy' sticker if it weighs over 70lbs). :)

#1 what I meant by "notice" was that he's careful with it.

#2 i was exaggerating with the $2000, I wish I could spend that much on corals. :)

• Like 2

:lol:

Hey, Hey. ;):ninja:

Good work tonight Kat. smileys-cheers-259866.gif

Thank you! Did you lurk?

The whole time?

Hydro!! thanks for calling in.

• Like 1

Worked for fed ex and dhl. The heavy stickers get paid attention to. Anything else not so much. In fact I think the kids that get paid shit for part time sort work get a kick out of messing with your over labeled package. Loading and unloading aircraft cans for these companies is fast paced work. FedEx had a higher standard than dhl can't speak for ups. Although ups has really gone down hill. I have had them just throw sig required high dollar packages on my patio. When I call looking for the package the rep says it was delivered and signed for. When in reality they tossed it on a patio 5 feet from my front door.

• Like 1

There are only a very small number of 'correct labels' besides the shipping label, and usually they deal with hazardous materials. For shipments with dry ice, vent holes must be cut in the box, a paper must be filled out before shipping, and a small one needs to be taped onto the box labeling how much dry ice was in the package at the time of shipping.

i couldn't remember the exact phrase they use but it's along the same lines of what you are talking about. If you just hand wrote "warning: contains my mornings crap" like I sort of insinuated I don't think any courier would be willing to take it. So let's just go with your "hazardous material". Technically, sending a paly would constitute a hazardous material I guess.
  • Like 2

A lot of the UPS drivers and even UPS store personnel don't know that they need to sign a high value shipment socument. Print it up and hand it to them and they give it right back. No dude you need to sign it, it's a high value shipment. And UPS fine print says, unless signed we aren't responsible for the high value shipment. I think. Or some words to that effect. So what did I pay insurance for? Nuts.

• Like 1

Thank you! Did you lurk?

The whole time?

yep the whole time. I am a huge salt water tank nerd. Your gonna need more time if you plan on a lawncrew midnight ramblings pod cast.