Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Thoughts/ideas on my scape

crusoe

Hey guys,

Here are two versions of my scape that I've tried out so far. Top image is how it's setup currently. Still not 100% thrilled on the layout and was wondering if you guys had any input/suggestions! 10G with 10.6lbs of live rock (6 pieces). Tank is 46 days old

9gLU7Tm.jpg

2ZcyitC.jpg

GBY8S1F.jpg

More sepatation between the islands is a great suggestion! It's pretty tight in there as it stands, but I'll see if I can shift around some rocks to make some more room between the islands. Maybe making the cave smaller will help. I'll update the pics tomorrow when I rescape following your ideas

one thing how olds the tank?

Hey guys,

Here are two versions of my scape that I've tried out so far. Top image is how it's setup currently. Still not 100% thrilled on the layout and was wondering if you guys had any input/suggestions! 10G with 10.6lbs of live rock (6 pieces). Tank is 46 days old

9gLU7Tm.jpg

2ZcyitC.jpg

GBY8S1F.jpg

Thanks for the comments guys!

IMO:

attachicon.gif9gLU7Tm_1280x956.jpg

That would be cool. More separation but less busy with a small rock to be filled with pretty Z/P's in between.

Remove the two rocks from the tank entirely?

one thing how olds the tank?

Madreefer13, tank is 47 days old.

I made some more room between the two "islands" as per k4ndyk1ng's suggestion. I increased the gap by about 1 inch. What do you guys think?

G5ELspc.jpg

YUBw3gu.jpg

michaelrzachmann

the top pic IMO is definitely better. I really like the structure on the right. The left could use some tweaking. The connecting piece of the bridge is a cool lookin piece of rock. Try leaving the biggest piece of the left structure where it is, take out the two smaller pieces and then have the bridge piece curve towards the front of the tank all the way on nthe left side. Just a suggestion. I get the temptation though when i first set up tank i really wanted a cave type thing too but at this point i wish i went for a mor minimalistic clean approach

the top pic IMO is definitely better. I really like the structure on the right. The left could use some tweaking. The connecting piece of the bridge is a cool lookin piece of rock. Try leaving the biggest piece of the left structure where it is, take out the two smaller pieces and then have the bridge piece curve towards the front of the tank all the way on nthe left side. Just a suggestion. I get the temptation though when i first set up tank i really wanted a cave type thing too but at this point i wish i went for a mor minimalistic clean approach

Those are some great suggestions, I think I applied what you had in mind, thoughts?

I don't want to remove any of the live rock as this is my only tank; I have nowhere else to store them.

r2C9qY4.jpg

AGeiuKx.jpg

bDvmwiF.jpg

I think the left side is missing some height. The right side looks great, but it's significantly higher. Maybe if you flipped the left island 180 degrees you can help balance it out. Doesn't look bad in any of the pictures so I wouldn't worry.

I think the left side is missing some height. The right side looks great, but it's significantly higher. Maybe if you flipped the left island 180 degrees you can help balance it out. Doesn't look bad in any of the pictures so I wouldn't worry.

Flip the left island 180 vertical axis or horizontal?

Flip the left island 180 vertical axis or horizontal?

Vertical. So the tallest part of that rock is on the left, and the low piece is toward the middle.

So, in looking at the whole tank, the tallest points of each island is on the edges and the lowest parts are in the middle. Helps draw the eye in.

You've already made some great improvements! I think some difference in height is good (you don't want things to be too symmetrical which looks unnatural), but I agree that making more of a valley between the two islands would be more attractive.

You might want to think about whether you even need the top rock on the right side. It's looks like it's very close to the top of the water so it won't allow much room for anything to grow on top. Every time I've redone the aquascaping in my tank I've removed more rock just so I could leave room for corals to grow. When I first started I had a hard time visualizing the space in my tank filled with corals, and I filled all the space with rocks. Just my opinions and I am definitely not an expert!

You've already made some great improvements! I think some difference in height is good (you don't want things to be too symmetrical which looks unnatural), but I agree that making more of a valley between the two islands would be more attractive.

You might want to think about whether you even need the top rock on the right side. It's looks like it's very close to the top of the water so it won't allow much room for anything to grow on top. Every time I've redone the aquascaping in my tank I've removed more rock just so I could leave room for corals to grow. When I first started I had a hard time visualizing the space in my tank filled with corals, and I filled all the space with rocks. Just my opinions and I am definitely not an expert!

That's a great point, I may try re-arranging the top right rock, as it is only about 1-2inches from the top of the water

Vertical. So the tallest part of that rock is on the left, and the low piece is toward the middle.

So, in looking at the whole tank, the tallest points of each island is on the edges and the lowest parts are in the middle. Helps draw the eye in.

I tried out flipping veritcally, but that rock that's on the sandbed on the far left hand side, is just too awkward a shape to have it sitting full vertical, doesn't balance nicely unfortunately.

Also, think about cleaning. Is there room for a mag float or your hand to fit between the glass and the rock? Room for a gravel vac? Caves for fish? Etc.

Let's see when you have a finished product.

Cleaning is great, just use my hand and paper towel to clean the glass every 2-3 weeks or so. I'll play around with the rocks again tonight and post some updates

Here's an updated picture, a little bit different than the first setup for left side, and I was able to get a little more height.

I think I've also found the source of my cyano - that bottom left piece of live rock. I can see a layer of brown algea, like a 1mm thick carpet starting to peel up from it. Also, the patch of cyano followed that piece of rock.

CJSkRAO.jpg

Archived