ReefCleaners.org

How often should you target feed corals?

Thomas898

How often does everyone feed their corals, what do you feed, and what benefits have you noticed from the frequency you feed?

I started target feeding lobster eggs every day, starting around 4 weeks ago, the corals consume all of the food given to them and clowns clean up any excess, I haven't noticed an increase in Nitrates or Ammonia. Is this ok to continue doing provided there are no spikes in paras?

Since doing this my wall hammer which had previously been a little bit browned since purchase has completely returned to it's bright green/pink colouring, and my frogspawn growth is exploding.. It's nearly doubled in size since target feeding and has grown a new head.

All corals will benefit from target feeding but most of the LPS will explode in growth when target fed meaty foods. I personally use LRS Reef Frenzy and Dr. G's mysis shrimp. I also feed phytoplankton for my SPS and zoas.

Mr. Microscope

I mostly target feed my SPS now with a combination of Nutri-Cell, Reef Chili, Acro Power, and tank water. I do this every other day. I also suppliment with Red Sea Reef Energy every three days. I keep nutrients low and check them every week or so. I control NO3 and PO4 with All-In-One biopellets and keep the water clean with carbon. Growth has exploded for me recently. Total volume of the system is about 32 gallons. I do a 5 gallon water change every week. I also dose Alk, Ca, and Mg.

Hmm I'll continue doing what I am for now in that case, heavy feeding doesn't seem unusual at all, will cut back if I notice an increase/spike in anything.. Or if my frogspawn keeps growing at the rate it is and starts taking over the tank!! Thanks everyone :)

i keep a low dissolved N and P (.75ppm NO3-, .04ppm PO4---), so i feed my LPS a LOT. i give my gold torch a few bits of mysis, brine shrimp, or scallop with tongs pretty much daily. same goes for my plate corals and acan.

the sps are target fed with a pipette 2-3 times a week, and i dose 4ml acropower and 1ml phytofeast into the tank (broadcast feeding) daily.

Archived