Coral Vue Hydros

Toby's 60g SPS Reef FTS 9/19/15

k4ndyk1ng

I'd really really recommend sand in this tank, my mind's going crazy (I'm really jealous of the dimensions) with possibilities for a sloping sandbed with semi-submerged stones sticking out looking really natrual. That's just me, though
The main reason for bb is look in lawnmans sig "sand is a litter pan" it just collects poo. The bottom is white so won't look like a mirror. I would love a sloping sand bed, however with it being so shallow I am afraid of a sandstorm.

I also forgot to mention I may do carbon dosing, just need to get the vodka...

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for pointing me to this :) The bar in the middle is the roof, I live in the loft and those bars hold the roof up so it has to stay. I'm going to split this tank into 24x24x12 sections, one being the plating section and the other being branching acros :) Stocking plans are 2 clownfish The cherub angel Yellow tang Shrimp goby pair if the sand is deep enough Or pair of bangaii cardinals

Nice! IMO put the angelfish in the acropora section. The plate section can house the cardinals, goby, and clownfish. Maybe a pair of angelfish in the acropora section would be cool, or something else like a Fang Blenny.

You can avoid a sandstorm with the TMC fine sand, it's available from charterhouse and it'll absorb flow pretty well (it's nice and cheap, too)

The best way to get a nice slope sandbed is to fill a large fishbag with sand, surround it with rocks 3/4 of the way around against the glass and cut a small v section to allow a cascade, then fill the bag up till the cascade is the right size. I'd have this around where the overflow is for about a 30cm diameter with the cascade starting at the leftmost glass, giving you a nice place to build up on the rock about 5" from the overflow box edge. I should draw a pic

Definitely check out the TMC sand, it's perfect for the scale of this.

This is going to be a VERY interesting tank. Especially with those beams running down in front of tank. And as for splitting the tank up,what are you going to use,acrylic and break the returns in to 2 different areas ? Is it already utilizing a sump,if not what sump are you going to use if at all. What pumps,dosers,reactors,additives ect ect lol.

As for bulbs,maybe look and see if you can find the best 4 bulb combo thread and get a idea of what colors to mess with. Maybe think about 3 ATI Blue+ and 2 Purple+ and a Coral+ or 2 Blue+,DD Mid Day 6500K,Purple+ and Coral+.

Nice! IMO put the angelfish in the acropora section. The plate section can house the cardinals, goby, and clownfish. Maybe a pair of angelfish in the acropora section would be cool, or something else like a Fang Blenny.
There isn't going to be a physical divider, just the aesthetic one in that beam :)

You can avoid a sandstorm with the TMC fine sand, it's available from charterhouse and it'll absorb flow pretty well (it's nice and cheap, too)The best way to get a nice slope sandbed is to fill a large fishbag with sand, surround it with rocks 3/4 of the way around against the glass and cut a small v section to allow a cascade, then fill the bag up till the cascade is the right size. I'd have this around where the overflow is for about a 30cm diameter with the cascade starting at the leftmost glass, giving you a nice place to build up on the rock about 5" from the overflow box edge. I should draw a pic Definitely check out the TMC sand, it's perfect for the scale of this.
I will check it out, I can always put sand in later after that tank is cycled and stuff

Love the dimensions of this tank and love the stocking ideas. This should look epic.
Thanks, I hope :)

This is going to be a VERY interesting tank. Especially with those beams running down in front of tank. And as for splitting the tank up,what are you going to use,acrylic and break the returns in to 2 different areas ? Is it already utilizing a sump,if not what sump are you going to use if at all. What pumps,dosers,reactors,additives ect ect lol. As for bulbs,maybe look and see if you can find the best 4 bulb combo thread and get a idea of what colors to mess with. Maybe think about 3 ATI Blue+ and 2 Purple+ and a Coral+ or 2 Blue+,DD Mid Day 6500K,Purple+ and Coral+.
There isn't going to be a physical divider because then I couldn't have the tang. The tank will utilise a sump, check my sig, the 16g is the sump, it will have a skimmer, a ghetto filter sock and a return pump and just 1 chamber. I'm still looking into dosing, I'm going to use kalk in the ATO, this thing evaporates just over 1g per day so kalk will do quite a bit and I need to find a good supplement to that. I will get dosing pumps in the future but it is dosing pumps or corals lol. I'm going to do vodka dosing on this to keep it at an ulns. With bulbs, I like most colours because I like everything :D and I have like 4 months to think about it, my sis is buying me test kits for Xmas too :) I'm excited and you guys enjoy the ride!

Why not just use the whole tank as a mixed reef ? You'd think,eventually when the SPS grow in,they're going to compete for space ( branch room ) which will eventually cause some warfare and depending on species,cause mass RTN/STN'ing in sps. I know some species don't really cause problems when touching,but some will ultimately kill off colonies due to that.

If you don't mind a ass load of supplementing,just do it manually. Especially if you'll be around the tank a lot. Just test,supplement,test,supplement until you get it down and you know what the tank is consuming on a daily basis.

Why not just use the whole tank as a mixed reef ? You'd think,eventually when the SPS grow in,they're going to compete for space ( branch room ) which will eventually cause some warfare and depending on species,cause mass RTN/STN'ing in sps. I know some species don't really cause problems when touching,but some will ultimately kill off colonies due to that. If you don't mind a ass load of supplementing,just do it manually. Especially if you'll be around the tank a lot. Just test,supplement,test,supplement until you get it down and you know what the tank is consuming on a daily basis.
This will maybe end up being a mixed reef, but lps won't do too good because I'm going to run ulns, I want a zoa garden and they should be fine. I don't mind supplementing and I am around my tank everyday

I tried out the skimmer :) the part came and it is silent all I can hear is the hum of the pump which is so quiet especially when it is in a cupboard

I'd say that'll be the best bet. Sooo,you want to keep Zoa's in a ULNS but not lps ? Both can be done. If anything Zoa's will be harder. They'll do good,may not look as good,seeming they prefer "dirtier" water. Same with LPS. But,to each their own lol.

Like when I set my 7 gallon back up,I want it to be nothing but Acans and Zoa's and set my 2 gallon back up for just SPS and do 100% water changes every few days. While the 7 will only get once a week.

I'd say that'll be the best bet. Sooo,you want to keep Zoa's in a ULNS but not lps ? Both can be done. If anything Zoa's will be harder. They'll do good,may not look as good,seeming they prefer "dirtier" water. Same with LPS. But,to each their own lol.

Like when I set my 7 gallon back up,I want it to be nothing but Acans and Zoa's and set my 2 gallon back up for just SPS and do 100% water changes every few days. While the 7 will only get once a week.

yeah i will see what soft/lps i can keep

aquariumlover10

Yay! If you want some cool critters in rock I wouldorder a pound or two of this www.tbsaltwater.com they are in florida so shipping will be a pain but just a few pounds wont be tha much.

That looks like some sweet rock, the shipping from florida would be so expensive :0

Yay! If you want some cool critters in rock I wouldorder a pound or two of this www.tbsaltwater.com they are in florida so shipping will be a pain but just a few pounds wont be tha much.
thanks for the link too

Tank is filling

imagejpg1-4.jpg

This weekend in getting 60lbs of lr from a fellow reefer so need to fill this up fast :) the lighting looks purple because they are the freshwater bulbs...

Yay! Water :):):):) I would try actinic bulbs for low light corals.

I will get better lights, but for now I have no money lol, I'm going to spend it all on this rock

aquariumlover10

Haha, I hear ya, my filter on my fw is leaking so I have my tiny backup filter on it so I need a new filter which means I can't the shrimp I wanted to get for my "shrimp tank" that I have spend my last $25 on plants for, life is messed up.

Haha, I hear ya, my filter on my fw is leaking so I have my tiny backup filter on it so I need a new filter which means I can't the shrimp I wanted to get for my "shrimp tank" that I have spend my last $25 on plants for, life is messed up.

Ohh nooooooo!

Dis looks like one to watch. B)

Thanks, there is more water in :)

Archived