Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

TeenyReef's 4g PicoParadise

teenyreef

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My two big green rics were starting to crowd out the small green ric and the blue ric, so I decided to remove one of them and move it to my 10g tank. It was a little scary cutting away at the foot of the ric with an Xacto blade, but eventually I got it out without chopping it up too much. I put it on a towel to carry it over to the other tank. Lots of slime!

15425455364_1bd1100000_b.jpg

Here's what it looks like now. The little green ric was completely covered up before. Ironically, this little is one of the first corals I got for this tank. It's never really had a chance to grow, so hopefully now it will get a chance. I'd really like for the blue and orange rics to split so I can get babies for the 10g tank.

15425455934_e231df111b_b.jpg

Finally, tried feeding the rics some mysis shrimp tonight. Usually I give them cyclopeeze and always assumed they were too small to eat mysis.

I was wrong. Wow! Open wide! :o

15425455744_91e563cebc_b.jpg

love the fotos, teeny!!

what pico skimmer do you use?

i didn't realize you ran a skimmer on top

of everything else!

Thanks! It's a Pico Skim 2.0 that I won in the NR Halloween contest last fall :)

I know that you don't really need a skimmer in a pico, but since I put it on, I've been able to reduce the frequency and volume of water changes, and my filter floss hardly ever gets dirty. I think it gives me something like an additional safety net :)

Your tank is looking fantastic!

Thanks! Your tank has been one of my inspirations!

love the newer fotos!

and your rics! surgery is scary, but

looks like the little green one will be okay!

hmm. i'll look into it. i didn't realize

that was the brand. ha!

also, i spy your teeny dendro. its looking happy!

my balano coral is even bigger than my dendro

i think, at night. she is flashy! ha (but not gelatinous.)

Just saw this little tank on FB again. So awesome. Hey you wanna drive down from VA (I was actually just in Williamsburg this past weekend!) and fix my rock for me? Lol ;)

Just saw this little tank on FB again. So awesome. Hey you wanna drive down from VA (I was actually just in Williamsburg this past weekend!) and fix my rock for me? Lol ;)

Thanks! Sound like a plan. I'll use my patented "throw all the rock into the tank and pile it up in five minutes while hoping for good results" method :)

Your tank made the FB page explode!

Awesome stuff man!

-D

Thanks, Dave! The light really makes it look good :)

What's the orange-y yellow thing in the upper right corner?

It's a yellow scroll coral (tubinaria). It didn't do well in my tank for the first several months and receded a bit. I finally found a good spot in the tank that it likes. I target feed cyclopeeze on the polyps and it's been growing steadily ever since.

love the newer fotos!

and your rics! surgery is scary, but

looks like the little green one will be okay!

hmm. i'll look into it. i didn't realize

that was the brand. ha!

also, i spy your teeny dendro. its looking happy!

my balano coral is even bigger than my dendro

i think, at night. she is flashy! ha (but not gelatinous.)

Thanks, Cindy! The dendro has finally gotten big enough to eat little pieces of mysis shrimp. It's funny to watch it take in a piece of shrimp almost as big as itself :) Hopefully he will start getting a little bigger now.

I love that balano coral. "Flashy" is definitely the right word :)

In this tank I picked out some pieces from the LFS. I didn't really know what I was doing at the time, but in hindsight I lucked out with pieces that had interesting shapes and weren't too big for the tank.

In my 10g Fusion I ordered uncured rock from KP Aquatics. I had to break up some of the pieces because they were too big, but otherwise they were pretty good.

In both cases I started with about a pound per gallon which was more than I actually needed to put in the tank. That was a good thing because it gave me a lot more flexibility to pick the pieces that fit the best.

Thanks, Cindy! The dendro has finally gotten big enough to eat little pieces of mysis shrimp. It's funny to watch it take in a piece of shrimp almost as big as itself :) Hopefully he will start getting a little bigger now.

I love that balano coral. "Flashy" is definitely the right word :)

go little freebie dendro, go! (or was it a $5 dendro? ha!)

:wub::happydance:

go little freebie dendro, go! (or was it a $5 dendro? ha!)

:wub::happydance:

Yeah, he was literally $5 and I added him to an existing order so I didn't even pay extra for shipping :)

also: are you using the provided pump?

or did you buy another?

You have to buy your own air pump for it. The Whisper 20 is just the right size, is very quiet, and costs under $15.

It's a yellow scroll coral (tubinaria). It didn't do well in my tank for the first several months and receded a bit. I finally found a good spot in the tank that it likes. I target feed cyclopeeze on the polyps and it's been growing steadily ever since.

That's definitely a "some day" coral for me...very cool!

I asked for a PicO skim 2.0 for Christmas, amongst other reef-related things. I really hope I get it.

I see you did! Merry Christmas!

thanks, teeny!

$5 dendro is growing happily, too! :D

Yeah, he's completely different from yours. Mine is very chill. He opens up every day but spends about half his time closed up. He eats well but you have to measure his growth with a micrometer ;)

That's definitely a "some day" coral for me...very cool!

Thanks! I really like him. The splash of yellow color is a nice accent in the tank when so many corals are blue/green/red.

15425455934_e231df111b_b.jpg

This picture is awesome- really nice colors

Thanks!

For some strange reason, the baby back blue eyed zoas in this picture have gotten much bigger but several of the polyps have melted. Basically, all of the small polyps in this picture melted overnight the other night. I have no idea why...fingers crossed that the rest stay ok, as these guys are my favorite zoas.

In other news, I spent some time last night putting super glue on the end of a long stick so I could plug up the vermetid snails that are infesting the tank. If I don't keep up on them they really start to multiply :(

Last weekend, I noticed that the fan in my Nanobox seems to have a bearing problem. It started making a loud noise like it was dying. It would last for about 30 seconds, then the fan would completely stop for a second, and then it would start running normally again. Ten or twenty minutes later, the whole thing started up again. I emailed Dave from Nanobox and he's sending a new fan. Hopefully it will arrive soon and I can figure out how to replace it :huh: In the meantime, I've got my old Coral Compulsion PAR30 back on the tank. It's amazing how much worse the CC looks now that I've gotten used to the Nanobox :(

aiii sorry about the snails woes

and also the fan woes. i hope it's

an easy swap out and works well when

you get replacement.

my dendro's tentacles are out so often

that i get a little concerned when its retracted. ha!

but i've come to realize that flamboyant dendro

still needs his man cave. :)

"Man cave" - I love it :)

I've learned that I have better luck if I crush and grind up the vermetid snails with the end of the stick. It has a nice little ball of dried superglue which is rough and hard. As long as the rock is steady and I can apply enough pressure, I can actually grind the vermetid snail out of existence. It's a nightly thing, though :(

Just for you Cindy - I fed my tiny dendro a small, but whole mysis shrimp tonight. He bravely swallowed it all down! :eek:

16082287766_63895c3c73_b.jpgStuffed Dendro by TeenyReef, on Flickr

He looks kinda like I did after eating Christmas dinner tonight :D

Merry Christmas and happy holidays to everyone!

"Man cave" - I love it :)

I've learned that I have better luck if I crush and grind up the vermetid snails with the end of the stick. It has a nice little ball of dried superglue which is rough and hard. As long as the rock is steady and I can apply enough pressure, I can actually grind the vermetid snail out of existence. It's a nightly thing, though :(

Just for you Cindy - I fed my tiny dendro a small, but whole mysis shrimp tonight. He bravely swallowed it all down! :eek:

16082287766_63895c3c73_b.jpgStuffed Dendro by TeenyReef, on Flickr

He looks kinda like I did after eating Christmas dinner tonight :D

Merry Christmas and happy holidays to everyone!

:lol::wub:

In spite of having no idea what they are, my parents were kind enough to give me a set of extension tubes for Christmas :flower:

These are the kind that have the electronic contacts so that auto focus still works:

16113055471_ab6d5b110b_z.jpgExtension Tubes by TeenyReef, on Flickr

I will have to play around with them a lot to figure out how to use them, but here are the monster red acans that are in the front of the tank. I took this one with the 20mm tube with a telephoto lens at 58mm, from about 8 inches away. This picture is uncropped and the only post processing was white balance adjustment. So far, I really like how they work :) I suspect I'll end up spending the big bucks on a good macro lens eventually but hopefully these will hold me for a while.

https://flic.kr/p/qxRvLZ'>16113034461_c38df3c228_b.jpghttps://flic.kr/p/qxRvLZ'>Red Acans by https://www.flickr.com/people/15628054@N06/'>TeenyReef, on Flickr

Archived