Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

TeenyReef's 4g PicoParadise

teenyreef

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks, Cindy :blush:

The next big step is to work on bumping up the light levels on the Nanobox and getting the right mixture of blues and whites. And then I need to get a decent white balance on the pictures. But the corals seem to be pretty happy, so I'm happy too :)

Wow, that is quite the collection of penguin paraphernalia. This tank is awesome! Where did you get your rics? They are beautiful!

Thanks! I got the rics from KP Aquatics. They are great to work with and reasonably priced. I get a lot of stuff from them because they can ship Priority Mail for a lot of items, and overnight is discounted for the east coast.

Looking great man. Drop me an email with the latest FTS with the light. I will toss it on Instagram and FB.

-Dave

Thanks! Will do :)

Some people party on Saturday night - I play with my $10 close-up lens :naughtydance:

Baby Back Blue Eyes Zoas:

15830451347_eb9b021cfe_b.jpg

Red Acan:

15830450657_461d45556a_b.jpg

Duncanops:

15830162839_13b00db7fb_b.jpg

Group shot:

15990471926_0789710974_b.jpg

Cyphastrea:

15393938034_36c5e14b82_b.jpg

I've gotten rid of most of the plain red mushrooms that were trying to take over the world up on top, but this guy popped up from underneath the top rock the other day. Maybe it's because he's been growing in very low light, but he has some really pretty speckles. I may let him live :)

15830451767_a383740759_b.jpg

Blue/green Acan:

15396566153_5ca1fd0d15_b.jpg

The favites grown down low on the side near the back, so they are hard to see in an FTS, but they are very pretty:

16015502452_580b41efb0_b.jpg

Please let him live, he looks kinda cool. B)

What camera/lens are you using? I need to upgrade from the crappy phone pics you have seen me take lol.

Please let him live, he looks kinda cool. B)

What camera/lens are you using? I need to upgrade from the crappy phone pics you have seen me take lol.

Yeah, I think he's OK, as long as he doesn't resume the plans for Total World Domination his forefathers had.

I have an old Nikon D40 DSLR. For these pictures I used the stock lens with a cheap close-up lens. It literally cost $10 on Amazon, with free shipping. It's not nearly as good as a real macro lens, as you lose some light and you get a lot of distortion outside of the center of the picture. You also can't really focus on anything that's more than about four inches away, so it's really only useful when you have a pico aquarium like this one. But within those limitations, you can get some nice pictures :)

Awesome closeups!!

I agree. Lots of beautiful details.

Great pics- capturing some reply nice colors

Great thread and tank.

Thanks, everyone :wub: I think it was Kimberbee that said something about getting super critical of your own tank when you take pictures, so getting feedback really helps :)

Looking great man. Drop me an email with the latest FTS with the light. I will toss it on Instagram and FB.

-Dave

Here's a couple updated FTS shots. I'll send you full resolution versions, of these, Dave. Thanks!

16032048385_935c069c65_b.jpg

16030095941_589f2cf959_b.jpg

SouthFlorida_Tron

Something is going really well for you over here... is it the skimmer? something special you're doing? this thing is poppin'

What skimmer is that by the way...

I forgot to mention that I fragged the GSP last night. I put the larger frag in the 10g IM Fusion tank that is just getting started, and put the smaller frag back in this tank. I'm really excited because I think I finally got the glue to stick to the bottom glass.

I was a little surprised that both frags were fully extended like nothing ever happened the very next night :)

Something is going really well for you over here... is it the skimmer? something special you're doing? this thing is poppin'

What skimmer is that by the way...

Thanks! It's a Pico Skim 2.0 that I won in the Halloween contest here on NR last fall. I'm really happy with it.

I don't think there's anything special I'm doing other than basic tank husbandry. There's a little bit of filter floss/carbon/GFO in addition to the skimmer, and I do manual 2 part dosing every night. I dose Acropower once a week, and feed Reef Roids, frozen mysis shrimp, and frozen cyclopeeze twice a week, along with a few small pellets for the goby every other day.

I've seen the biggest increase in growth when I started to do a lot of target feeding. I used to just target feed the acans and other LPS, but I've been surprised to find how many SPS will actually eat cyclopeeze :)

PS: the Nanobox really helps too!

SouthFlorida_Tron

Please, if you could, explain the layout of how you have the filtration layered... i see the skimmer in the middle, and obviously the return on our left... so how and where do you set your floss, carbon, and gfo...??

It's in the first chamber. I took the giant sponge that came with the tank and cut it down to about two inches wide and put it on the bottom of the first chamber, turned sideways so that it covers the whole bottom of the chamber. Then I laid a bag with two teaspoons of carbon and one teaspoon of GFO on top of the sponge, and then stuffed filter floss on top to kind of keep the bag laying flat. It's not elegant but the price was right :)

I change the carbon/GFO once a month, and rinse out the sponge in old tank water at the same time. Filter floss get changed as needed.

SouthFlorida_Tron

It doesn't get clogged? I had a sponge at first, with my chemipure in chamber 2, but the sponge really clogged up...

Now i just leave it open, and have the bag of chemipure in the second, but now i have to look into this new skimmer!

The favites grown down low on the side near the back, so they are hard to see in an FTS, but they are very pretty:

16015502452_580b41efb0_b.jpg

:wub: I neeeed this! You make awesome tanks :).

How did you determine how much 2 part to dose?

I tested at the beginning and end of a four day period to come up with a baseline dose. Now I test nightly and I'm gradually coming up with a good daily dose.

It doesn't get clogged? I had a sponge at first, with my chemipure in chamber 2, but the sponge really clogged up...

Now i just leave it open, and have the bag of chemipure in the second, but now i have to look into this new skimmer!

It doesn't get clogged because it's not too big and I've got the filter floss on top. So it stays fairly clean, although I do rinse it out in old tank water about once a month.

:wub: I neeeed this! You make awesome tanks :).

Thanks! :blush: I'll let you know if it gets big enough to frag. We could trade for a frag of anything in your tank and I'd still come out ahead :)

Archived