SaltCritters.com

TeenyReef's 4g PicoParadise

teenyreef

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tank looks great not sure how i missed it.

Thanks! Your edgeless tank is so cool. I didn't even know they made them before I saw your build thread. Nice pics too :)

Looks like things held up fairly well while I was gone. The snails turned the favia upside down again, so I'm going to have to get serious about gluing it down better to the glass bottom.

My alkalinity dropped way down to 6.4 while I was gone, although calcium and magnesium are still fine. Some of the zoas are closed up right now and duncans aren't as fluffy as they usually are. On the other hand the duncans popped out a new head while I was gone :) And the GSP has gotten huge. It definitely needs to be cut back or fragged.

I fed the tank and verified all inhabitants were present and accounted for. I've dosed a little bit of two part and will do a small water change. Hopefully that will start getting alkalinity back up without making too much of a sudden change.

Edit: turns out the GSP hasn't gotten quite as huge as I thought. It just got detached from the glass bottom, so it's sitting on top of the sand instead of all the way down at the bottom. I'm having a real problem getting things to stick to the bottom glass in the CAD Lights tank. Superglue gel worked fine in the old Evolve. I'm not sure what the difference is. I've tried super glue gel, JB waterweld, and the old super glue gel - waterweld - superglue sandwich. Nothing sticks to the bottom glass.

This thing looks so bad ass but I have totally forgotten to follow it until now. Shame on me. I hope you find a good glue or epoxy that works on this one and keep the updates coming, Teeny B)

This thing looks so bad ass but I have totally forgotten to follow it until now. Shame on me. I hope you find a good glue or epoxy that works on this one and keep the updates coming, Teeny B)

Thanks! I think I'll have to work harder on trying to clean the glass before gluing. Sort of hard to do underwater, though.

Still working on getting the alkalinity back in line slowly and carefully. The Whammin' Watermelon zoas opened back up earlier today, but the Sexy Shrimp promptly walked all over them, and they are still closed back up. About half of the Flame Skirt zoas are still closed, but everything else is looking fine.

The rics have been growing fast lately, and were looking extra nice today. So I took a picture, which the Sexy Shrimp promptly photobombed.
15937004866_4dc26ec913_b.jpg

On the new equipment front, this came in the mail while I was out of town this week :happydance:

15342192834_08df2193a0_b.jpg

Now I can move the all-black Nanobox to my 10g Fusion. The colors on this one complement the penguin collection in my study :)

Still working on getting the alkalinity back in line slowly and carefully. The Whammin' Watermelon zoas opened back up earlier today, but the Sexy Shrimp promptly walked all over them, and they are still closed back up. About half of the Flame Skirt zoas are still closed, but everything else is looking fine.

The rics have been growing fast lately, and were looking extra nice today. So I took a picture, which the Sexy Shrimp promptly photobombed.

15937004866_4dc26ec913_b.jpg

On the new equipment front, this came in the mail while I was out of town this week :happydance:

15342192834_08df2193a0_b.jpg

Now I can move the all-black Nanobox to my 10g Fusion. The colors on this one complement the penguin collection in my study :)

penguin collection? :)

and ooh, missed first foto first glance.

your rics are beautiful. i just placed another order.

not sure if i'll get it or where it'll fit in my tank, but you know...

ha!

penguin collection? :)

and ooh, missed first foto first glance.

your rics are beautiful. i just placed another order.

not sure if i'll get it or where it'll fit in my tank, but you know...

ha!

Thanks! Can't wait to see your new rics...

I made the mistake of bringing home a little stuffed penguin from Penguin Computing (now defunct) years ago, and telling the kids that I thought he was cute. Now I get penguin presents all the time, and they accumulate in the study. I'll post a pic tomorrow to show how the new Nanobox matches everything else :)

So just as I thought it was time for bed, I looked over at the tank and saw this guy, who I have never ever seen before:

15939085596_1296818c08_b.jpg

So I got the camera and turned the lights back on so I could get a picture of his better side. Unsurprisingly he didn't care much for the light and cruised right on to the back of the tank and disappeared. But I was able to get this one picture from the side:

15777572260_8a2043fd95_b.jpg

The picture's not very good but from what I could tell, it looked like he might have some small bright blue dots on his back.

My guess is some kind of sea slug. Anybody know what he is?

reefernanoman
Thanks! Can't wait to see your new rics...

I made the mistake of bringing home a little stuffed penguin from Penguin Computing (now defunct) years ago, and telling the kids that I thought he was cute. Now I get penguin presents all the time, and they accumulate in the study. I'll post a pic tomorrow to show how the new Nanobox matches everything else :)

Nice! I wanna see.

Some form of nudibranch, they eat algae and are considered reef-safe. Just don't go poking him, until we have a positive ID I would consider him poisonous as some of them are. ;)

So just as I thought it was time for bed, I looked over at the tank and saw this guy, who I have never ever seen before:

15939085596_1296818c08_b.jpg

So I got the camera and turned the lights back on so I could get a picture of his better side. Unsurprisingly he didn't care much for the light and cruised right on to the back of the tank and disappeared. But I was able to get this one picture from the side:

15777572260_8a2043fd95_b.jpg

The picture's not very good but from what I could tell, it looked like he might have some small bright blue dots on his back.

My guess is some kind of sea slug. Anybody know what he is?

Stomatella snail. Perfectly harmless.

yay for stomatella snails! my 8g is overrun with them.

they don't knock things over and they are eating eating

all thet time. they breed well too. :happydance:

men can be so hard to buy presents for!

we have this challenge for my kids too. when

i ask what do you want to get for daddy, all they

can think of is chocolate and candy. :eek::lol:

Looks like things held up fairly well while I was gone. The snails turned the favia upside down again, so I'm going to have to get serious about gluing it down better to the glass bottom.

My alkalinity dropped way down to 6.4 while I was gone, although calcium and magnesium are still fine. Some of the zoas are closed up right now and duncans aren't as fluffy as they usually are. On the other hand the duncans popped out a new head while I was gone :) And the GSP has gotten huge. It definitely needs to be cut back or fragged.

Getting the alk back up will definitely make the zoas happier :).

Now I wanna see this penguin collection!!!!! My son was a big fan of adelie penguins a few years ago. They are too cute. I sort of have a little penguin collection now as I inherited his penguins since he's not into them LOL. Here's my favorite that he made in school:

post-25164-0-17072000-1417978694_thumb.jpg

Stomatella snail. Perfectly harmless.

HVani be ID'ing like a Baws. :naughtydance:

yay for stomatella snails! my 8g is overrun with them.

they don't knock things over and they are eating eating

all thet time. they breed well too. :happydance:

men can be so hard to buy presents for!

we have this challenge for my kids too. when

i ask what do you want to get for daddy, all they

can think of is chocolate and candy. :eek::lol:

Stomatella it is! I looked at several pictures online and that's exactly what it looked like. Sounds like a nice guy to have around.

I know what you mean about presents, Cindy. Seems like for most guys, if we want something cheap, we go buy it. If we want something that we can't afford, it's too expensive to be a present from the kids. Or the wife :)

Getting the alk back up will definitely make the zoas happier :).

Now I wanna see this penguin collection!!!!! My son was a big fan of adelie penguins a few years ago. They are too cute. I sort of have a little penguin collection now as I inherited his penguins since he's not into them LOL. Here's my favorite that he made in school:

attachicon.gifIMG_3259.JPG

Those penguins are awesome! If my kids made me those they'd be in the place of honor on my desk forever :wub:

Tell people you like something and they will gift that too you forever.

I have wayyy too much Scooby Doo stuff because of this!

Yep! Life lesson - make sure it's something you REALLY like before you let on :)

Those penguins are awesome! If my kids made me those they'd be in the place of honor on my desk forever :wub:

Thanks, he did a great job with them :) Something I'll definitely keep forever. I miss the grade school years where they made stuff all the time for us :).

The Scooby Doo thing made me laugh LOL.

LINUX has a penguin symbol too!

my hub is a linux guy.

also, my stomatella's originally appeared

in my 3g. i transferred as many as i could

from my 3g to my 8g on a plastic spoon. :lol:

very carefully.

The penguin that started it all came from a company that made computers preloaded with Linux. Every computer came with its own penguin:

15787419019_12b293d802_b.jpg

I used to be a Linux guy too. Now I'm an email engineer :mellow:

LINUX has a penguin symbol too!

my hub is a linux guy.

also, my stomatella's originally appeared

in my 3g. i transferred as many as i could

from my 3g to my 8g on a plastic spoon. :lol:

very carefully.

Just picturing the plastic spoon transfer method for the stomatella's cracked me up!

The penguin that started it all came from a company that made computers preloaded with Linux. Every computer came with its own penguin:

15787419019_12b293d802_b.jpg

I used to be a Linux guy too. Now I'm an email engineer :mellow:

Just picturing the plastic spoon transfer method for the stomatella's cracked me up!

love the penguins!

the transferring of stomatella snails via plastic spoon

from one tank to other across the kitchen was a very

delicate project indeed!!

I got started on setting up the new Apex stuff tonight. Here's the ugly reality under the nice clean desk:

15973455365_974748ec07_b.jpg

Here's the start of the solution:

15973455405_39dd2e15db_b.jpg

And now everything is hooked up and working:

15973455605_446168d6d7_b.jpg

I might have just a bit of cable cleanup to do before I declare victory :lol:

Hopefully by tomorrow night I can clean up the cables and get an FTS with the new Nanobox. And the penguins, as requested :)

OK, late night tonight but it's all cleaned up now! You can just see the ATO reservoir to the right of the desk. It's tucked between the desk and the piano, out of sight but it slides out easily for refilling.

15980380532_43bceb7c82_h.jpg

FTS with the new Nanobox, Apex controller, and Storm controller (on the left).

15795320547_8dd80bee0d_h.jpg

Penguin-colored Nanobox with penguin-colored penguins :)

15358778554_cc0389fbfd_h.jpg

Finally, I experimented with the camera tripod to try to get a decent sunset shot with the blue lights making the corals flouresce. Still lots of room for improvement but this is the best I've been able to do so far.

15955277806_452d9beb90_h.jpg

Oops - forgot to turn the pump off :P

Archived