SaltCritters.com

Seahorse fry?

Paandemonium

Anyone have any good sources for how to raise these guys?

Every time we get a pregnant male in our system at the store they get eaten or die within 24 hrs and I want to try my hand at raising some of them for giggles.

The tank is plumbed into over 3000 gallons of water but I can make a pico for them as well

baby brine shrimp, copepods, rotifers. these live foods are a good start, then you can train them to frozen.

you got the tank basics down, it's all maintenance from there.

do you get a lot of babies?

baby brine shrimp, copepods, rotifers. these live foods are a good start, then you can train them to frozen.

you got the tank basics down, it's all maintenance from there.

do you get a lot of babies?

I'm gonna keep some in the main system and then get a pico for some others and see how they fair.

We usually get anywhere from five to thirteen seahorses and out of those THERES at least one or two pregnant ones. Usually we'll have like 50-100 babies in the tank

printerdown01

I would chat up these guys: http://www.marinebreeder.org/forums/

I also know that T. Californicus and rotifers get used a lot for rearing seahorses but I do not know at what stage you use what or when to phase things out... Rotifers are easy to grow and so are T. Cali... If you raise them outside. If you live in a freezing climate (anywhere where it snows) you will have to culture them inside -which I have failed to do 3 times. Outside you simply take a black bucket pour in gallons of sea water dump in culture and call it good. I recommend starting the culture with a bit of left over tank water when doing a water change. They will breed by the thousands... You just add top off every now and again... I usually add it when the water level is down by 50%. Yup you can be VERY lazy and successfully do these outdoors. It is easy to find info on raising rotifers, but hard to find on T. Cali... Done outdoors they are actually a heck of a lot easier to raise than rotifers -and a lot more nutritious.

If you haven't joined already, check this forum: http://forum.seahorse.org/

The diamond in the rough is Dan. He sells seahorses for a living, and keeps a regular presence on that forum. Read up on other people's experience on raising fry. It is tough work. On a good batch, you may break even if every seahorse finds a home.

Archived