Pod Your Reef

black ray goby fry

gogo

i came home to a vase full of black ray goby fry. the proud parents finally visible after what i think was the female disappeared for a few days. i came home and noticed she was out with the male and there was a new type of plankton in the vase.

it has been the plan from the beginning to get the gobies to breed. i just didn't expect it so soon.

the four gallon cylinder vase gets live plankton daily. as well as a sizable water change.

there is no filter. only air lift tubes which are the coral support structure.

i've no plans to remove the fry at the moment.

my phone pics aren't the greatest.

20141013_193921.jpg

i've got a good mix of food stuffs for them.... i'm not really expecting much in the way of success in rearing them. my other vase is full of palys...

they're getting live phytos, two types of rotifers, copepods and artemia. everything looks too big for the fry. i've reef roided the vase, a coupla times... that stuff seemed to stimulate feeding response.

20141013_194318.jpg

the corals don't seem to be feeding on the fry, and some fry seem to be picking smaller copepods off of the glass.

i'll see how this goes.

no baby gobies left in the dt. i can't find any.

i'm gonna try again the next few batches, see what i can do. gotta get my hands on some ss strain rotifers.

the plan is to isolate and use smaller planktons.

the parents are fat and getting along very well. they are much more responsive and non skittish now.

they are fed almost exclusively on live plankton. i've got so many amphipods in my other vase that i've setup a simple trap. the gobies and my lps get quite a few large amphipods daily. the dt is teeming with rotifers and copepods.

20141015_211443.jpg

i think the male is the one on the left. the female looks spent.

batch number two arrived tonight. the vase is packed with black ray fry again.

i loaded it with rotifers and copepods, increased the phyto.

not crossing my fingers.

I also have a spawning pair of these. A few things you need to know:

Raising them in the display won't be possible for a lot of reasons.

These guys hatch way smaller than clownfish larvae, so even rots are too small

I don't think these guys have been successfully done in captivity to be honest but that shouldn't stop you from trying.

Check out mbisite.org there is a ton of help and info there on first foods for larval fish.

You never know, if you go nuts with it and apply yourself you may nail the species first on these guys lol

Archived