Top Shelf Aquatics

Any way to change the PWM frequency on the controller?

Fissure

Hello guys, finally finished my LED build, have an irritating problem though. Using some custom built driver boards designed by a guy called O2Surplus over at reefcentral and plantedtank.net. The board uses a A6211 buck driver. Anyway when applying pwm to the driver the output caps become really noisy. Tried adding larger caps to the terminal outputs on the power supply but did not help. He himself has no such issues with the boards, but he uses another controller. Leading us to belive it might have something to do with the PWM frequency the bluefish controller is using. He himself had no noise at 150hz, what frequency is the bluefish using and is there ANY way to change this? The noise is a no go for my living room.

Also some pointers on the Iphone app. There is a couple of things that is kinda irritating. The size of all the sliders are a bit to small (at least for my fingers :P ). When customizing the lighting and photo modes missing the slider by just a bit tries to swap to the previous page in the app and the controller turns off the lighting/photo mode, nothing big just kinda irritating. Also when adjusting the slider values I am having some issues with the controller not taking the setting all the time. This always happends when dragging up to 100% for example, having to "click" the slider once for the new setting to take. Changing the preview color in the channel settings never take for me, always changes back to some greyish color.

Also have a suggestion, can't we get a "chain" function when tweaking the channels. So we could lock channels together, would make it easier to adjust brightness and etc. Could either lock the individually or one by one? Just a thought!

SpencerShepard

PWM frequency is ~580Hz, which is pretty close to the 490Hz that is produced by Arduino boards and the common Atmel based LED controllers. It is technically possible to change the PWM frequency, but we do not have any method to change it implemented. If the issue you're experiencing was due to PWM frequency, it would be the first time I've heard of anything like that with Bluefish. Let us know what you find out.

Thanks for the feedback on the iOS app.

Thanks for the answer! Changed the output caps on the board from ceramic ones to eloctrolytic caps and the noise went away.

Also noticed on the IOS app that if the device locks down due to inactivity while in editing the photo or lighting mode the controller gets stuck in that mode. Found no other way to get it out then restarting the controller.

SpencerShepard

Glad you got it figured out, thanks for letting us know.

Any alternate light mode (basically anything other than normal light schedule) is controlled by the Scene Timer for safety. Once the timer expires, it will return to normal mode. I can't think of a reason why restarting the controller would have any effect. You should be able to press "reset to normal" in the scenes menu, or any other mode to exit the previous mode.

Archived