SaltCritters.com

Fishstiks Sexy Retreat (10g Fusion) NEED HELP WITH ANEMONE

Fishstiks

Hey all,

Is it possible for a Rock Nem to NOT want to host an anemone crab?

I added a porcelain anemone crab to my tank a couple weeks ago, and he found the rock nem within hours and has not left it. Since then, the rock nem seems irritated. He is shrinking in size (or maybe just retracting himself) and seems unhappy. Still eating well and colored well, he just isnt expanded and happy like he always has been.

Obviously, I will not be able to remove the crab from him without actually removing him from the tank, but not sure what the best course of action is. Will the anemone die if he is unhappy? Am I overreacting to this and should just let it be? Will some nems just not host creatures? He has never had a problem with the sexy shrimps, but he clearly isnt diggin' this crab.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

I need some help with my rock nem. I added a porcelain anemone crab to my tank about 3 weeks ago. He found the rock nem within hours and never left it. The nem started getting irritated, and started shrinking (or just nor fully extending) and eventually started trying to move, which he has never done before. I removed the crab and put him in my tank at home, and the rock nem continued to move around on his rock for a couple days after, then just up and let go completely.

I have placed him back on the rock several times, and he will attach, perk up, and act like he is doing better, but then he detaches again overnight and is just laying in the sand in the mornings.

I did a 3 gallon water change on Friday, and am going to do another one today, but my params are all fine, so I am at a loss.

Ammo 0

Trites 0

Trates less than 0.2

Phos undetectable

I dont have tests for alk/calc/mag at work, but I will bring them tomorrow and test those numbers as well.

Any ideas what I should do? The nem is still alive, he does open up a little during the day, and has even eaten for me (mysis on Friday), and it seems like during the days while I am here, he tries to attach himself to the rock, or the glass, or even my conch snail, but he always lets go and free floats again sometime after hours.

Here is a pic from this morning

629E251F-F161-4D08-B121-1DF53DC85192_zps

I have thought about taking him home and see how he does in a different tank, but the porcelain crab is at home now, and I am sure if I put him in the tank with the crab, the crab will find him and irritate him further.

Mine has readily eaten Mysis, Brine, and Plankton, as well as cut up chucks of krill and squid. He has always had a great feeding response, I am just so stumped as to why he is now so unhappy.

What are you feeding the RFA? Mine isn't interested in Mysis :( and I can't provoke a feeding response

mine loves the frozen reef frenzy. but they will all

eat pellets too.

Mine has readily eaten Mysis, Brine, and Plankton, as well as cut up chucks of krill and squid. He has always had a great feeding response, I am just so stumped as to why he is now so unhappy.

that looks pretty bad, fishstiks.

maybe ask flowermama or go into the RFA thread?

she's in there and has experience with RFA.

do you think the foot is damaged?

I will head over to the RFA thread. Thanks!

He is looking a little better, still perks up every day, just isnt attached to anything. He seems to stick in the rear corner, not sure if thats more from the flow patterns in the tank, or he just likes it back there. For now, I have left him be, and am just hoping he will keep perking up more and I will try to get him back to a rock soon.

Thanks Cindy!

• Like 1
  • 7 months later...
reefernanoman

Yea, it's the AI Nano. Thought about upgrading to the new prime, but, this tank is doing so well as is, I figure, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. :slap:

This statement is so true. Every time I change something, my corals react mostly towards the negative side!

• 4 weeks later...
moralesk214

I just found your build thread, and caught up! Sorry about the RFA, did you ever resolve the issue? Also, what is your typical maintenance plan?

• 1 year later...