Cultivated Reef

Katropora Owners Thread

metrokat

I'd eventually like some of this too! Very pretty!

I'm afraid I'm not the best at keeping SPS though, I only seem to be about 50% successful with the ones I've tried.

• Like 1

I'm afraid I'm not the best at keeping SPS though, I only seem to be about 50% successful with the ones I've tried.

Same boat here. I can keep them for a few months and they get good color but they won't show any significant growth and then they eventually die out of the blue.

They Pico on the other hand is already showing some promise but I'll have to figure out a flow solution to keep more sps.

• Like 1

I'd eventually like some of this too! Very pretty!

Your tank is about 5-6 months old right? I wouldn't fret, sometimes it takes a while. I bet hardy SPS like seriatoporas would be fine though.

Kat should certify Katropora dealears. Hahaha

Sellers need to register with headquarters. :lol: and only use pink frag plugs.

• Like 2

Your tank is about 5-6 months old right? I wouldn't fret, sometimes it takes a while. I bet hardy SPS like seriatoporas would be fine though.

Sellers need to register with headquarters. :lol: and only use pink frag plugs.

Just 9 days to 6 months!!

I've got a few (setosa, sarmentosa, unidentified) doing GREAT. One dieded a few months ago. And the shortcake/myagi and undata haven't been in long enough to tell yet.

Working on getting my calcium dosing right this past week!!

If the acroporas don't make it, the next SPS you try should be seriatopora, pocillopora, montipora species.

I'm fairly certain the one with explosive growth is an unidentified acropora.

https://flic.kr/p/qBMffx'>16157467771_1544dd2be9_n.jpghttps://flic.kr/p/qBMffx'>IMG_5693 by https://www.flickr.com/people/33693274@N00/'>kimothy182, on Flickr

BF ended up with a small $10 frag of it that grew to about the size of a grape fruit in his tank. A few months ago, he accidentally bumped it and it split into 5 pieces. The small one in my tank is growing just as fast as the two he has left in his tank.

I must have put it in the PERFECT spot!

It's more of a purple-ish pink with pink-ish orange polyps. I can't get a pic with accurate colors (gets washed out cause it's the closest coral I have to my lights) which is why I haven't bothered asking in the ID forum for some help ID'ing. It's happy, I'm happy!

Acropora Nana ;)

DING DING DING! That does look very similar! Though the pics I see online seem more like a blue-ish purple... I don't think I have as much blue in my lights... so we'll go with that!

DING DING DING! That does look very similar! Though the pics I see online seem more like a blue-ish purple... I don't think I have as much blue in my lights... so we'll go with that!

I might know a little bit about A. Nana....

DSCN0866.jpg

That colony was 14"x9"x7" when I had a skimmer pump melt down and wipe 99% out my 180.

DSCN0866.jpg

That colony was 14"x9"x7" when I had a skimmer pump melt down and wipe 99% out my 180.

Dang that was incredible. Stupid pump!

• Like 1

DSCN0866.jpg

What brand of pump?

• Like 1

What brand of pump?

Aqua Euro. I don't remember the exact model # but it was from an older version (they were switching to a single pump around the same time this happened) that ran 3 skimmer pumps and rated for 400g... It was a replaced pump already and under warranty, contacted them and they told me to either send it to them and they would put a coating of epoxy over the back that was letting water into the pump housing (because their factory epoxy was leaking/ degrading), or I could get some epoxy and do it myself.... :furious: