Cultivated Reef

Katropora Owners Thread

metrokat

Different corals (even within the same sp.) are effected at different ranges which would be why one (or some) would be effected by the high alk, and not others. The katropora wasn't effected by the alk tho.

FWIW don't let my join date fool ya, I've been doing this longer then I can remember and know people that have been doing it for -15-20+ yrs personally and learned from their experiences as well ;)

I believe it, but yet some older tanks can run on very high phosphates AND have great color (see guess the phosphate on RC). Regardless I have no desire to run high phosphates, I just never had the problem before. :) I switched from LED to T5, KH started to rise because of either phosphates rising and retarding growth or the light change retarding growth. Next thing I know some corals browned, some STN, some tip burn. I test, .2 PO4. I suppose I could believe PO4 rising caused all the issues but why did it rise suddenly? If it didn't rise suddenly then am I to believe there is some critical point ... .14765 PO4 ... that pushed the corals over the edge? :D

I'd like to know, but I'm not sure I ever will because I changed too many things at once. At least I know my Salifert PO4 kit using twice the sample and twice the reagents works very well for a reasonably low rez PO4 test.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

not the best pic, but it's all i got. I can't figure out what's up.

my other sps are showing great color but the katropora isn't... or at least it doesn't show in the pic, i'll have to see for myself when i get home...

https://flic.kr/p/qeQA1w'>15909156662_47836092da_b.jpghttps://flic.kr/p/qeQA1w'>FSH_1061.jpg by https://www.flickr.com/people/113969537@N03/'>xMrKleinReef, on Flickr

• Like 3

my other sps are showing great color but the katropora isn't... or at least it doesn't show in the pic, i'll have to see for myself when i get home...

15909156662_47836092da_b.jpgFSH_1061.jpg by xMrKleinReef, on Flickr

A while back the Kat was a good color and the others were lighter so it's likely a nutrient balance or something. It still looks good and is growing well.

15909156662_47836092da_b.jpgFSH_1061.jpg by xMrKleinReef, on Flickr

I bet it's the camera. The bright green can really blow out the picture on my SLR and required full manual so I coudl set the speed and aperture myself. I see white with dark tips, which tells me it's probably bright green with purple tips.

• 1 month later...

Could people mention the conditions they are successfully and unsuccessfully keeping this coral in? Also Kat, how much do you usually charge for a small frag of the Katropora? And about how large across is your colony? It's always hard to tell without some sort of reference. Your colony looks absolutely massive and awesome.

The Kat likes PAR close to 400 and lots of flow. Frags typically go for $35 or so. My original colony was about 8 inches across, about 40 branches. It was growing compactly because of being in a small tank and getting a lot of flow. It will grow less dense in smoother flowing water (not to be confused with less flow).

• Like 1

I'd like a piece of kat's color stick at some point as well, I've been following this thread since its inception to see what others' experiences are with it. maybe I can get one from someone in the chicago area in a few months :)

• Like 2