Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Katropora Owners Thread

metrokat

Y'all might be interested to know I measured 600PAR today at the very tippy toes of the Kat. The tips basically break water with the flow in the tank, I measured somewhat casually, just under the surface of the water.

Soooo much parrrr.. Just another reason for me to upgrade my lights.

• Like 1

Acros will grow into higher PAR, and they acclimate slowly doing it. I think 300 will be enough to color it up. Mine was just above 300 (LED) when it achieved great color, just before I painted it brown.

• Like 3

There are multiple reasons this may have browned. Too much light from my LED fixture (accidentally raised par from 320 to 380 by increasing whites and dropping blues). Slow KH rise to 10.5 and now a slow drop back to 8.0, where I want it. A rise in phosphates that I can't measure. Take your pick. :)

Phosphates is the most likely culprit...

How long was the light change for?? Switching from blues to whites will do it but its a long term not couple days kinda thing. Raising the par would bleach if it made a change not brown. A slow raise/ drop in KH isn't generally an issue, thats a fairly big swing but if done slowly isn't horrible..... if done slowly. With emphasis on slowly lol

I need on the list for a piece!! :)

• Like 2

Phosphates is the most likely culprit...

How long was the light change for?? Switching from blues to whites will do it but its a long term not couple days kinda thing. Raising the par would bleach if it made a change not brown. A slow raise/ drop in KH isn't generally an issue, thats a fairly big swing but if done slowly isn't horrible..... if done slowly. With emphasis on slowly lol

I need on the list for a piece!! :)

It was phosphates, all the way to .2 :) I don't think it rose quickly but with the KH rise and the high phosphates it was a 1 - 2 punch.

• Like 1

It was phosphates, all the way to .2 :) I don't think it rose quickly but with the KH rise and the high phosphates it was a 1 - 2 punch.

Yeah thats what I figured :)

The alk wasn't the browning issue really. If high alk was the problem you would have experienced burnt tips... in all honesty the high prosphates are what saved it from the high alk if alk was going to be a problem. ;)

:blush:

I usually post on here that I can make a few frags. I'm doing a tank transfer next week hopefully. There could be a few accidental frags next week.

Here's to hoping you have very shaky hands!!

• Like 2

:blush:

I usually post on here that I can make a few frags. I'm doing a tank transfer next week hopefully. There could be a few accidental frags next week.

#Fantastic! :happydance::happydance::happydance:

I'm as careful as I can be. The outer branches get the dings and scratches when I move this

IMG_0091.JPG

Thats all just one rock??? omgomgomg

• Like 1

#Fantastic! :happydance::happydance::happydance:

Thats all just one rock??? omgomgomg

Yup. Has 8 corals and a clam on it.

Katropora (tops left side)

BAli slimer - right side

JF Setosa - that pink thing

ORA pearlberry - still coloring up

ORA psammacora- below the clam shows up against my glove

ORA spongodes, in a fight with Jason Fox

Rainbow montipora - encrusted in the very middle of everything

Tyree sunset montipora - cannot be seen from this angle.

• Like 3

Yup. Has 8 corals and a clam on it.

Katropora (tops left side)

BAli slimer - right side

JF Setosa - that pink thing

ORA pearlberry - still coloring up

ORA psammacora- below the clam shows up against my glove

ORA spongodes, in a fight with Jason Fox

Rainbow montipora - encrusted in the very middle of everything

Tyree sunset montipora - cannot be seen from this angle.

Now that's a TRUE "Piece of the Reef!" :wub:

• Like 2

Yeah thats what I figured :)

The alk wasn't the browning issue really. If high alk was the problem you would have experienced burnt tips... in all honesty the high prosphates are what saved it from the high alk if alk was going to be a problem. ;)

I did suffer burnt tips on one acro, just not this one. Too many puzzle pieces. I'm starting to believe a number of params can be less than ideal as long as alk is stable. As soon as stability is lost then whatever is out of range can be called the culprit. So now my phosphates are back to .05 and KH has been stable for 2 weeks and everything is recovering. Most would say the lower phosphate is the key. I'll happily keep it low, but I'm not so sure it's the main reason.

I did suffer burnt tips on one acro, just not this one.

Different corals (even within the same sp.) are effected at different ranges which would be why one (or some) would be effected by the high alk, and not others. The katropora wasn't effected by the alk tho.

Too many puzzle pieces. I'm starting to believe a number of params can be less than ideal as long as alk is stable. As soon as stability is lost then whatever is out of range can be called the culprit.

Its all a balancing act, and alk stability is extremely important, absolutely! While your right to an extent that the other params don't always have to be "perfect" any of them going to far out of whack will still cause their own issues on their own regardless of alk stability, most of which are fairly well documented and make it easier to narrow down the culprit ;)..... In all reality if the alk "swing" was slowly done over days or even weeks I wouldn't even consider it to have been unstable (high enough to effect some corals sure, unstable not so much), most corals can adjust to that swing quicker then we give them credit for.... there are quite a few sps tanks that run higher alk like you had and many would even consider you to have still been in the safe zone, especially with high phosphates ;)

So now my phosphates are back to .05 and KH has been stable for 2 weeks and everything is recovering. Most would say the lower phosphate is the key. I'll happily keep it low, but I'm not so sure it's the main reason.

Low phosphate is a big key for optimal color in most sps systems for sure. If you don't believe me and pretty much everything else mentioned about phosphates by 90+% of sps keepers, you could always test it..... keep everything else nice and steady but allow your phosphates to creep up and see how it goes. Don't be surprised if you notice your alk elevating if you don't adjust your dosing/reactors tho because of the slowed growth high phosphates are known to cause ;)

FWIW don't let my join date fool ya, I've been doing this longer then I can remember and know people that have been doing it for -15-20+ yrs personally and learned from their experiences as well ;)