Pod Your Reef

Katropora Owners Thread

metrokat

1 hour ago, metrokat said:

Chunky frag!!!

Most of them were... This was my first order from Darren and I see a lot more in my future. ??

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

That's looking quite good.

I got Nitrates in my 150 up to almost 10 (kind of high, oops).  I've been increasing flow and it's losing the cool colony shape due to flow changes.  Colors are blinding at the moment, it's flat out 10 times more colorful than any other acro I own except for the brilliant green of the slimer.

qR6AD4g.jpg

• Like 4
  • Wow 2

Last I checked, my nitrates where 5 and p04 holding steady at .02 for 3 weeks now. ( I dose seachem phosphorus in my top off)

• Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, sprite said:

Update

@markalot does higher nitrates bring more purple tips like this? Mine are at 10at the moment and p04 is. 07.

20180603_212250-01.thumb.jpeg.f0775e2e889e62c9389031ccafbf577d.jpeg

Yep, when I hit 20 nitrates it looked like a fake painted coral it was so bright.  :D  

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...
Nano Nano Boo Boo
6 minutes ago, pokerdobe said:

I swear I'm going to get it off the rack... any day now...

Mr5EYch.jpg?1

Really pretty coral, gonna grow out well. 

5 hours ago, metrokat said:

wow - love it! so it's encrusting on that frag rack eh? 

Yep! I got really lazy and it just kept growing. I actually like this better since it allows me to frag from the rack without having to touch the main colony in the display. 

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...

So some bad news. My colony is the display has browned out and is no longer showing PE. Unsure as to the cause. Parameters below:

dKH: 7.15

Ca: 410ppm

Mg: 1400ppm (Salifert), 1100 (Elos)

No3: 2.5ppm

Po4: More than .16ppm, less than .32ppm (Red Sea), More than .1ppm, less than .3ppm (Salifert)

Salinity: 1.026

23 hours ago, pokerdobe said:

So some bad news. My colony is the display has browned out and is no longer showing PE. Unsure as to the cause. Parameters below:

dKH: 7.15

Ca: 410ppm

Mg: 1400ppm (Salifert), 1100 (Elos)

No3: 2.5ppm

Po4: More than .16ppm, less than .32ppm (Red Sea), More than .1ppm, less than .3ppm (Salifert)

Salinity: 1.026

I would check for pests immediately. 

@markalot Those are 2 show colonies! wow. Are they differently colored or is that just a camera thing?

Higher light makes those tips branch out and show the pink.

16 hours ago, teenyreef said:

Wow. Just wow. 

Mine's a little smaller :lol:

But I love the colors. 

Katrapora

I agree- the colors look great Teeny.

• Like 2

My "birthday" frag, which did absolutely nothing for 2 years, kicked the bucket after my Alk spike 😞. Oh well. Never got any color or PE- was always pale brown at any light/nutrient level. Go figure. 

• Sad 3
3 hours ago, metrokat said:

@markalot Those are 2 show colonies! wow. Are they differently colored or is that just a camera thing?

Higher light makes those tips branch out and show the pink.

I agree- the colors look great Teeny.

I think it's a camera thing.  Colony in first picture (the original) is in higher light, the second is under the tank divider.  I think I prefer the lower lighting color, but it could be due to lack of feeding preventing the original colony from getting deep high light colors.

@metrokat

Additional observations - the browning seems to affecting a few select corals - both the katroporas, including the one on my rock work and the one on my frag rack have browned and has shown reduced PE. 

Other acros that have exhibited less PE or browning include my fox flame and a couple of unnamed pieces from my lfs. Puzzled really. I could proceed with dipping the colony and mini colony on my rack..

I dip everything in Bayer before it enters my tank and I cut away all bases from plugs. 

59 minutes ago, pokerdobe said:

@metrokat

Additional observations - the browning seems to affecting a few select corals - both the katroporas, including the one on my rock work and the one on my frag rack have browned and has shown reduced PE. 

Other acros that have exhibited less PE or browning include my fox flame and a couple of unnamed pieces from my lfs. Puzzled really. I could proceed with dipping the colony and mini colony on my rack..

I dip everything in Bayer before it enters my tank and I cut away all bases from plugs. 

Sounds like either unstable Alk or a rapid drop in PO4.  Did either happen?