Pod Your Reef

what is this slimy web thing?

wisoot

Hi there

I just noticed some sort of transparent slimy web thing attached to my rock and zoos in the tank. They are waving about because of the current. What are they? Are they harmful in the tank? Should i try to remove it?

Tank Specifications

Tank size: 10g

Filtration: 5 kg of live rock, 1 inch of 1mm. coral sand (mixed with fine live sand initially), two powerheads (Mini-jets 404 and 606)

Heater: 100-watt Interpet Heater

Inhabitants: Star polyps, Button polyps, a peppermint shrimp, a cleaner shrimp, 7 hermit crabs, a sand-sifting sea star, 2 featherdusters, a clownfish (Amphiprion ocellaris).

Thanks guys.

EtOH_is_good

did you just add anything? maybe the button polyps let off some of their slime in response to an irritant or to just clean house.

Hi There

Not those polyps have been there for a few months now. Somebody from other board suggested it might be some animal that use this to trap food. Any other possibility?

w

Many soft corals will release slimy stuff from time to time either as a sign that they are irritated or to shed microalgae and other junk thats taken up residence on them (seems pretty random in my tank). Try getting a photo and posting in the ID section for better results.

d.

ps. (I may be wrong but I dont think peppermint shrimps are the best thing to have in a tank full of soft colonial corals)

Originally posted by wisoot

Hi There

Not those polyps have been there for a few months now. Somebody from other board suggested it might be some animal that use this to trap food. Any other possibility?

w

Sounds like vermitid snails to me. I have a bunch of them. they release a long strand of mucous to feed. If you disturb your substrate you see them alot better as the swirling stuff from your sand will get caught in their mucous strands. Theyre harmelss.

read this : http://www.aquarium.net/0897/0897_8.shtml

I've had a similar experience with a slimy, weblike mucous in my new tank. My LFS said it may be a sponge. They form and disappear pretty quickly if the water current, lgihting, temp, etc isn't to their liking. I;ve had them in several spots for about a day then they go away.

jojopus, thank you so much for that answer! I have been wondering what that stuff was in my tank for a long time. Sometimes it pays to read other people's posts!

Chris

Archived