Cultivated Reef

ADA 60p Soft Coral Mangrove Peninsular - Long overdue update

East1

I got some stuff today, including the full Red Sea Reef/Coral package. I'm pretty excited.

I also tested my water, thanks to reef crystals' elevated kH, I'm now sitting at 14dkH lmao. I'm going to lower this over the week, switch to tropic marin salt and start using pure water for topoff (that London limestone isn't doing me much good right now!

• Like 1

I got some stuff today, including the full Red Sea Reef/Coral package. I'm pretty excited.

I also tested my water, thanks to reef crystals' elevated kH, I'm now sitting at 14dkH lmao. I'm going to lower this over the week, switch to tropic marin salt and start using pure water for topoff (that London limestone isn't doing me much good right now!

live down in the south, limescale everywhere rodi prefilters last about 2 months

My Pederson shrimp's been snipping off my Torch coral tentacles, I'm gonna give him a day of being well fed and see if he carries on.

I'd rather replace the torch with an elegance than get rid of him in all honesty.

I want to add a small number of Redspot Cardinals, my LFS has about 12 that have been there for a week and all are fat and healthy. I'm thinking of bringing home 4, and building a DIY refrigerated doser to give them near constant food during the day

I went to a friends gig last night, got home at 3 and decided to stay up to make it to ikea on time. I've not slept yet and it's 1.45 :3

I had a re-arrange session in my bedroom mostly focused around this

4124a55622.png

These iCloud collage things are pretty cool. Here are the pics individually:

40f2df885b.png

Bumblebees are hard to photograph :( I got a pair, it looks like they're hugging when the (wat I assume is) male asserts dominance. The female wanders around looking for food an the male just sits there.

969eeb44dc.png

it's really hard to photograph but it looks like sunlight with a peach background due to the light on the second spotlight. I'm working on adding a third LED chip for more coverage on the leaves. I want this plant to be peachy in her light

d4a5b79b8f.png

When I built the stand and this system in general the idea was to make a biotopic presentation, but not actually pick the livestock on merits of locality. It's a bit of a pseudo-tope as I've gone for naturalistic shapes and placement as well as rock/sand. I wanted to build a tank that makes a statement and looks like it's far more expensive than it actually is and I think I'm on my way!

4b93d4f485.png

This is the highest flow portion of the tank, this duder loves to hang out there and ride it like that. he's doing it while I type this. He' sone of the coolest shrimp I've ever owned!

fa5f31b653.png

it's hard to make out but the bumblebee shrimp are right under where the perclimenes is, for some reason the juxtaposition makes me happy inside, they hang out in their respective spots most of the day.

I need to get a picture of this tank's stand, I'm really proud of what Ikea and I have achieved.

This sums up my first major update. The pipeline now looks to be a dosing pump, more SPS and lots of random frags, some form of goby or perhaps a trio or even 5 (I upgraded my sump, I'm running a 10 gal sump now) red spot cardinals. I've got the rough plans to make a DIY self-stirred refrigerated food dispenser that works with a dosing pump. I'll get the how-to on here if/when I do set it up. I need to find something that warrants it before I go build it.

Flaming Prawn Goby. That too, I want that.

I almost forgot that I desperately need some good macroalgae in here!

also, holy hell I have a lot of views. You lurkers need to post in here more, I'm lonely and starting to wonder how many cats I need to augment my empty ass tank journal

• Like 1

I've re-uploaded the pictures, it seems you guys broke my iCloud album!

I snapped a 1/8th inch piece off the monti when it came in, this was about 7 days ago, since then it's healed over and grown a polyp. I still swear by Salifert Coralline Amino Acids. I replace half of my red sea energy amino acids with this stuff, it's always been like steroids/crack for SPS for me

:D I'm glad!

I added some more stuff! I got some lovely micro-halimedia (It's probably not called that but I'm coining this term) as well as a little pocillopora and a large mini-hystrix colony (holy hell, it's gorgeous. It's the shape/size/implicit age. I love the look when a coral has some die off in the centre and bottom branches and ends up with encrustation on it. Maybe I'm weird.

Pics will follow soon, but first I have to fix my skimmer :( the maxi jet pump I've been using keeps stopping and starting randomly, changed the fuse but no joy so I assume it's just old. Hopefully tomorrow I can get it replaced in a retail store, if not I have to wait till tuesday

My skimmer dying for the night wasn't fun, on top of that my cleaner shrimp went cray and snipped more of my torch coral so he was off back to the LFS. I'm probably just going to leave it or perhaps get a small skunk cleaner. I really like the scale as it is now with tiny shrimp, small coral stands and such. The waterflow is perfected now to a gentle ripple and the tank finally resembles a small tide pool as it was intended to.

here's a pic to whet your appetite

65afd7fb1cl.pngpcIqo3nl.png

I've decided that I'm going to pack this full of gobies, especially the lovely, hard to find gobies!

• Like 1

Thanks! I've ordered a couple more so hopefully this week shall see some more photos.

Sad news, my Haliclona sponge decided it didn't want to live and has pissed off some of the other inhabitants, my precious hystrix is starting to show signs of tissue loss and everything is sulking, but no losses so far. Hopefully tomorrow everything will look better, I did a large water change but I don't have any activated carbon on hand

Livestock's looking better today, I had some tissue recession and burnt tips on the birdsnest and everything is still pretty pissed off, but I think I'm out of the emergency period.

I'll get a pic up when my newest order arrives, I got invoiced for

A600 - Antithamnion plumula (standard)A620 - Membranoptera sp. (standard)

from Sciento. So excited!

• Like 1

Today marks the first month since it's had water!

I've overcome the sponge nuking some stuff, had to remove some of my SPS which is a sad moment (nothing worse than watching flesh melt off your corals :( )

I've replaced the brevicarpis shrimp that was snipping off coral tentacles with an anclyomenes that I can't identify (if anyone can name this, I'd be chuffed!) Last night my LFS had a frag sale so I picked up 6 stunning SPS frags for $75, so a photo-update is due! My parameters are slowly getting back in line now that I've switched to 0tds water instead of the liquid calcium that comes out of the London taps.

Sadly, my artistic vision of 'no equipment in the display' has had to be compromised, I had to add a tunze pump for flow and turned down the turnover rate that the tank cycles to my sump. I also put my light onto a wifi-controllable plug socket I found which allows me to turn it off from my bed and set custom timer cycles from my mobile, which is cool. I want to add one to time the tunze pump as well and allow for a low-flow night period.