SaltCritters.com

Cju84's 5.1g Pico Reef (updated 12/16/2018)

cju84

Wrigleyville :wub:

I miss Chicago!!!!!

Your tank looks great :). That nass snail looks huge in there :lol:. I would do as someone else suggested...just feed the CUC some mysis. That will add some nutrients for the cycle.

• Like 1

i will be listing some corals for sale soon so if you see something you like, swing by =)

I will absolutely be interested. My lights can probably only handle zoas/shrooms/various polyps. Would love to check them out. I'm guessing another 2 weeks or so and I "should" be good to go.

Wrigleyville :wub:

I miss Chicago!!!!!

Your tank looks great :). That nass snail looks huge in there :lol:. I would do as someone else suggested...just feed the CUC some mysis. That will add some nutrients for the cycle.

Thanks! He is a big guy for sure. I'll look into the mysis as well :)

• Like 1

New landscape!! I took a few rocks out of the tank as I thought it was a bit clustered and didn't think the original layout was optimal for corals (when that time comes). I'm really liking the new layout here. Really opens up the tank and looks 10x brighter.

What do you guys think?

post-85688-0-16533800-1411859647_thumb.jpg

post-85688-0-43527300-1411859662_thumb.jpg

post-85688-0-04130400-1411859676_thumb.jpg

post-85688-0-48671800-1411859686_thumb.jpg

Question on rockscape - I don't have any of these pieces epoxied together. Is it wise to do so or is it not totally necessary? The rocks haven't moved on their own but I wonder if I should do this now before I get corals.

If you are going to do it now is the time. Crabs and other tank mates can move/shift rocks and if they fall hit the sides of your tank too hard can break the tank and make a mess.

• Like 1

If you are going to do it now is the time. Crabs and other tank mates can move/shift rocks and if they fall hit the sides of your tank too hard can break the tank and make a mess.

I figured that would be the case was hoping it wouldn't be... ha.

definitely glue them. as u place corals, u may add additional stress. a landslide in your tank will not be fun...

Alright ninja, you convinced me. Did another water change today and epoxied the three rocks on top of the main rock to each other. Used super glue/epoxy/super glue combo. Assuming my levels are okay tomorrow, it's time for a fish and/or corals next week!

post-85688-0-10036900-1412474478_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

looking nice! what kinds of coral you gonna get?

I'm thinking zoas, gsp's, ricordea, possibly shrooms. Would love some frogspawn but not sure if my tank can handle.

I think the tank is 'ready' at this point, although my nitrates are still running high. Still, all my hermits/inverts are doing well for 3+ weeks now, so I might just get some easy stuff soon and see how they do.

You know of any place in Chicago that sells any of these frags (or colonies)? I generally check chicagoreefs.com as well for people selling but the site has been pretty inactive lately.

I'm thinking zoas, gsp's, ricordea, possibly shrooms. Would love some frogspawn but not sure if my tank can handle.

I think the tank is 'ready' at this point, although my nitrates are still running high. Still, all my hermits/inverts are doing well for 3+ weeks now, so I might just get some easy stuff soon and see how they do.

You know of any place in Chicago that sells any of these frags (or colonies)? I generally check chicagoreefs.com as well for people selling but the site has been pretty inactive lately.

Anything IN the city is expensive and overpriced. Avoid Old Town Aquarium. That place is a money sink drain. If you want cheap frags to start, head out to AquaPros by Glenn Ellyn. InsaneCoral.com is by Lombard and they have live sale every few weeks. Reefwise by Lisle is good too although their price is creeping up. Those places are all 40mins+ from the city.

I have a few zoa frags I can give you for free if you want to see how they do in your tank. They are not the prettiest zoas, but they are free =). I am by UIC, a few blocks from Halsted and Roosevelt.

• Like 2

Anything IN the city is expensive and overpriced. Avoid Old Town Aquarium. That place is a money sink drain. If you want cheap frags to start, head out to AquaPros by Glenn Ellyn. InsaneCoral.com is by Lombard and they have live sale every few weeks. Reefwise by Lisle is good too although their price is creeping up. Those places are all 40mins+ from the city.

I have a few zoa frags I can give you for free if you want to see how they do in your tank. They are not the prettiest zoas, but they are free =). I am by UIC, a few blocks from Halsted and Roosevelt.

I figured that might be the case. I absolutely hate driving/traffic, so I'll try to hold off on those other stores haha. I heard Reefwise was pretty great though! I really appreciate your offer - if I plan on being in that area sometime, I'll shoot you a message!

First corals from a local reefer! Candy Cane and Xenia. Should the Xenia be in a 'low flow' area or if they are opening up are they okay where they're at?

post-85688-0-76860400-1412728716_thumb.jpg

I was in the west loop before I came down to Chambana for school. I was a fan of new fish in wicker park. Their stuff was reasonable priced, but I did notice some flatworms in their frag tank. I just dipped the corals before adding them to my tank and haven't had a problem. There are also tons of reefers in the area that sell frags on local forums.

I was in the west loop before I came down to Chambana for school. I was a fan of new fish in wicker park. Their stuff was reasonable priced, but I did notice some flatworms in their frag tank. I just dipped the corals before adding them to my tank and haven't had a problem. There are also tons of reefers in the area that sell frags on local forums.

I'll have to check them out! I got my first frags from a local reefer as well - hope the Candy Canes open up!

Also went to U of I - fun times!

• cju84 changed the title to Cju84's 5.1g Pico Reef (new fish added 9/30/2017)