Cultivated Reef

Cju84's 5.1g Pico Reef (updated 12/16/2018)

cju84

Rod's, Larry's, Mysis...

you can go to New Fish and get some Rod's. Aquapros sell Larry's.

but since u only have one coral and this is a new tank, i would hold off on coral food for now. wait till you get some fish =)

What about "coral frenzy: the ultimate coral food" - $13 on Amazon.

Good?

no, frozen is best. i have coral frenzy barely used if you want it.

• Like 1

So I got some more corals last week (yellow polyps, some zoas, a mushroom that is hidden some, more xenia). I think I actually hate them (all) and how my tank is doing/looks overall.

I lost one hermit this past week (levels have been the same for a month now - only thing high is nitrates around 20ppm).

I haven't spot fed any of the corals nor have I fed anything to the hermits, but I don't think there is enough internal/natural 'food' for either. I know this could take time but I just have a bad feeling about this.

I worry that adding anything (food) will just throw all my levels into a whirlwind.

Someone please convince me to keep this set up running....

post-85688-0-53236100-1413212477_thumb.jpg

post-85688-0-68337700-1413212491_thumb.jpg

you dont like the corals you got or the tank or the rock formation or ??

It's not that I don't like them, but I feel like they aren't getting what they need. Candy Canes aren't opening, everything looks kinda lethargic. I don't know if I should feed them or not. I worry about feeding as my nitrates cannot seem to get below 20ppm.

I also worry about a hermit death the other day. Not sure if it had no food source or not, but worry about the corals as well b/c it died.

Basically, I have no idea if my tank is 'normal' at this point or not.

When was your last water change?

You can lower your nitrates by doing a water change.

Do you have more hermit crabs/snails or did you just have the one?

I read through your thread again... If you are concerned about your corals, it wouldn't hurt to feed them a little. your hermits and snails will clean up what's left over. And you can keep your nitrates down with weekly water changes.

• Like 1

When was your last water change?

You can lower your nitrates by doing a water change.

Do you have more hermit crabs/snails or did you just have the one?

I read through your thread again... If you are concerned about your corals, it wouldn't hurt to feed them a little. your hermits and snails will clean up what's left over. And you can keep your nitrates down with weekly water changes.

Thanks Kimberbee - I might just do some feeding.

I do 20% water changes weekly to date and test immediately and the day after. My nitrates have never been below 20ppm (even after a WC). I know the nitrate test instructions for API like the back of my hand as well - not user error in that part.

Ugh!

Thanks Kimberbee - I might just do some feeding.

I do 20% water changes weekly to date and test immediately and the day after. My nitrates have never been below 20ppm (even after a WC). I know the nitrate test instructions for API like the back of my hand as well - not user error in that part.

Ugh!

Well 20 isn't horrible, but hopefully someone else can chime in with some ideas.

Be patient in my experience,with saltwater and freshwater, the smaller the tank the longer it takes to brake in.

If you want to feed more you can do two water changes a week. And clean out filter media in the old tank water. After my tanks mature then I just clean them out with tap water, but for now use tank water.

Tank is looking great!

Have fun and enjoy it.

• Like 1

Few pics of some corals opened up. Not sure if the Candy Cane is ever going to open or not. I did order some Coral Frenzy and will try to spot feed. If not that, then some zooplankton. Hopefully one of the two foods will make it not so pissed lol. I could also use an algae bloom as the CUC doesn't seem to have anything to eat.

I did have a mushroom but it fell into a crack and there is no way I can get it without completely stabbing it.

I would like to get some GSP for the ground level and some fungia/ricordea as well (eventually).

post-85688-0-13394800-1413391686_thumb.jpg

post-85688-0-53029000-1413391693_thumb.jpg

post-85688-0-54097300-1413391701_thumb.jpg

Moved some Xenia around - wasn't doing too well in the front center so put it next to the candy cane.

Also, dissolved a TINY bit amount of Coral Frenzy in a shotglass of tank water and used a turkey baster to feed the yellow polyps, candy cane, zoas. I'm talking maybe a couple of tiny squirts - I doubt it was even necessary.

The CUC went crazy though.

Full tank shot. Assuming levels are okay after my next WC, I plan on getting a small clown next week.

post-85688-0-65033000-1413470257_thumb.jpg

Chiming in here from UIC area as well. I have GSP, too much GSP.

I would be more than happy to take a lot of that off your hands. I'm going out of town this weekend but if you're selling/giving away, let me know. Any pics?

I would be more than happy to take a lot of that off your hands. I'm going out of town this weekend but if you're selling/giving away, let me know. Any pics?

I'll see what I can do about pics. I know I have one free little piece thats been hanging out but the rest is taking over my rock; I would have to see if I could get it off for you. I do not have any pics at the moment but will try to get some soon.

I'll see what I can do about pics. I know I have one free little piece thats been hanging out but the rest is taking over my rock; I would have to see if I could get it off for you. I do not have any pics at the moment but will try to get some soon.

Hey no worries man. If you get a decent sized frag and want to sell, let me know.

A few new pics. Candy Cane corals are starting to plump up and regain some color! Close up of yellow polyps as well.

I plan on going to my LFS to get a small percula tonight/tomorrow.

post-85688-0-72774200-1413902173_thumb.jpg

post-85688-0-57851700-1413902180_thumb.jpg

Ended up going to the LFS last night and got myself a small clown. He still hasn't explored the tank yet so I haven't caught him in any great background pics.

post-85688-0-04228200-1413986713_thumb.jpg

post-85688-0-39769500-1413986724_thumb.jpg

post-85688-0-68691800-1413986731_thumb.jpg

post-85688-0-26564400-1413986744_thumb.jpg

I met an awesome local reefer last night and he was more than generous to get rid of some of his corals. I took some hefty chunks of frogspawn, GSP, mushrooms, some polyps (the orange ones).

These pics were taken only after an hour of being in my tank, but they seem to be opening up quite nicely. Can't wait to see them again in a few more days.

I have a feeling I'll need to move the frogspawn away from the yellow polyps - today perhaps.

Let me know what you guys think.

post-85688-0-21246000-1414506196_thumb.jpg

post-85688-0-49004400-1414506201_thumb.jpg

post-85688-0-84549900-1414506210_thumb.jpg

post-85688-0-37215700-1414506220_thumb.jpg

post-85688-0-14906600-1414506227_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
  • cju84 changed the title to Cju84's 5.1g Pico Reef (new fish added 9/30/2017)