SaltCritters.com

Thinking about a 1 gallon pico tank

MMK1

Hey guys and girls, someone gave me a tiny one gallon fish tank and I was wondering if its even worth it to try and turn it into a tiny pico reef. I have a nano cube already and I was thinking about putting the 1 gallon on my desk. I have an idea that it could handle a tiny bit of rock, sand, and house a single frogspawn or a single coral, with a snail or shrimp and that would be it.

Is this a good idea or should I stay away?

• Like 2

Yea that could work. Probably leave the snail out of it though, might be difficult for it to gain enough nutrients without fish pooping and helping to create algae. Maybe 1-2 shrimps?

• Like 1

So far this would be my build list

1.5 lbs of live rock

1 lbs of sand

Need to figure out the light, probably go with LED since its so small

Heater

Any suggestions for mechanical filtration? I might start off with the filter that came with the tank and see how that works.

I know pico tanks need weekly or even daily water changes, would this one not need such an intense water change schedule since the bioload would be so small?

What're the measurements of the tank ?

For a filter I'd probably go with Red Sea Palm filter or a AC20 with ChemiPure Elite or just some GAC (granular activated carbon) in a media bag.

As for the light,I'd get a RapidLED Nano Dimmable driver,get 2 Luxeon Royal Blues,2 Luxeon Cool Blue,2 Luxeon Warm Whites 1-2 430nm Hyper Violets depending on the length of the tank.

• Like 1

I currently have a Fluval 2 gallon pico reef tank. What you are trying to do is a ticking time bomb unless you know what your doing. Water temp, lighting and tank levels are a huge factor since the tank is so small. Any little thing can make it crash.

• 3 years later...
ihglifelol

well maybe wait for algae to grow and maybe a dwarf cerith. id go for a pom pom crab as they stay on the small side and they prefer smaller tanks as they will get lost on big ones.