Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Islandoftiki's Hawaiian adventure!

Islandoftiki

Islandoftiki

Baller! You gonna finish the backsplash or is it like that intentionally?

No, they still need to finish the backsplash.

Islandoftiki

The disaster du jour for today happened when the fence installers were digging post holes and discovered an irrigation/water supply pipe. Fortunately it was fairly easily repaired after the 45 minute round trip drive to the nearest hardware store.

FB_IMG_1426297032837_zps3z23gb2d.jpg

What a time you're having! Even your lunch breaks are soooo satisying. Doesn't it just make you wanna cry sometimes? To look over and see natural reef tanks and you don't have to worry about alkalinity, pH, calc, etc. You can just enjoy. What pleasure it must be. You really know how to make us jealous. We're joyous for you though.

• Like 2
Islandoftiki

Ok, here's a little more lunch time tide pool action for you:

Large brittle star! https://youtu.be/tX6PWacABpA

And to thoroughly disgust you, here's a car I had to work on that was infested with German cockroaches. These little buggers are afraid of nothing, unlike their larger American brethren who want nothing to do with you. These German guys like to cuddle. Suffice it to say, I wouldn't get into the car. Watch if you dare: https://youtu.be/-d0KtKdPM9Q

• Like 1
Islandoftiki

Nice star!

and EEK! I'd be so afraid that one would hitchhike its way home with me.

Well, if you live in Hawaii, you have cockroaches in your home. That's inevitable. Having your home regularly sprayed and keeping it as clean as possible and limiting sources of water/moisture will reduce the population to almost none, but you will still see them from time to time. We get the big American cockroaches here and there, but the little German cockroaches in the video are the ones you really don't want. Thank goodness we don't have those right now. They are awful. All roaches I find get flushed down the toilet.

• Like 1

Wow John, it's looking fantastic. My first thought was that I feel like this is an episode on HGTV. When I saw the covering in between the 2 buildings after you mentioned hopefully not needing AC I thought immediately that it would provide shade and a cooling effect for both buildings w/ breeze. I like that each bedroom has a patio door. Most houses do not have that so having the screen door open would surely cool.

With the volcanic ash does this buildup quickly on windows?

My friend had a giant poodle and yes, the ball, always the ball, whenever, wherever, just throw me the ball. I never knew how fast these dogs were til I met hers. Like a gazelle.

Will look forward to maybe some pictures later of the gecko hatchiing?? I love that you're experiencing nature in so many ways, and active geology at that.

• Like 1
Islandoftiki

With the volcanic ash does this buildup quickly on windows?

My friend had a giant poodle and yes, the ball, always the ball, whenever, wherever, just throw me the ball. I never knew how fast these dogs were til I met hers. Like a gazelle.

Will look forward to maybe some pictures later of the gecko hatchiing?? I love that you're experiencing nature in so many ways, and active geology at that.

Fortunately, it's not volcanic ash like we experience in Portland back in the '80s when Mt. St. Hellens erupted. The volcanoes here not non-explosive and just kinda smolder away and slowly ooze red hot lava. They release quite a bit of sulfuric compounds which turn into photo-chemical smog, kinda like you get from cars in Los Angeles. In really high concentrations, the vog causes a fair amount of upper respiratory problems. I'm particularly sensitive to vog apparently. Fortunately, the area we live in doesn't get much vog due to the winds and the topography of the islands. Just south of here, there's a valley where the winds bow it all out to sea, so we are spared from a lot of it. Not all of it, even the island of Honolulu can be inundated from the vog coming from this island!

I've never met a dog that is so ball focused. It's crazy. Oh well, easy exercise, I suppose. We really need a Chuck-it.

I moved the gecko eggs to one of the electrical boxes at the service entrance where I have found many successfully hatched gecko eggs. Hopefully they do well there. It seemed like a good spot, but I won't be able to provide pictures of when they hatch.

I found a video of someone captured of a gecko chirping:

This sounds like the ones we have in the house/garage. At night after we turn out the lights to go to sleep, we hear them chirping back and forth for a couple minutes. It's cute.
  • Like 2
Islandoftiki

I hooked up the hot water heater; we have hot water at the house! I was able to take a warm shower! I can't tell you how nice that was. I hook up the washer and dryer tonight. No more having to go over to our friend's house to do laundry. If everything goes well in the next two days, we'll be moving in to the main house this weekend!

• Like 8
  • 3 weeks later...
Islandoftiki

Oh man, I'm sorry guys! It's been crazy as heck here! So many things going on! I got offered a new job, which I took and I love. I'm now working on European, Swedish and British cars! BMW, Mini, Jaguar, Range Rover, Mercedes, Volkswagen, Saab, Porsche and Volvo. It's really awesome! I've been going crazy making new window screens for all of our windows (I HATE making window screens, but I'm getting good at it). There are a never-ending number of projects to do at the house, but we're living in it! We have our stove hooked up finally! Our kitchen really works now. I finally got our computer network up and running properly. Our neighbor's burro/donkey is in love with us...

https://youtu.be/0o0e4LkSbtA

And while I don't have any of my nano-tanks set up yet, that doesn't mean that I'm not there in spirit. I'm going to award two points to the first person who can tell me what my personalized plate means! Hint: It's not a TV show. Hint 2: It's marine related, and if you know me, you'll figure it our pretty quickly...

20150423_184435_zpsgxhmfc45.jpg

Cheers guys, and expect some more updates soon!

• Like 2