Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Islandoftiki's Hawaiian adventure!

Islandoftiki

Thanks for all the updates and it's funny cuz we take for granted that Lowes or HD are going to have everything we need. Building in stages, just like a reef tank.

• Like 1

Just read this in its entirety. I love these types of threads showing the adventure a person is on especially when in such a beautiful environment. Thank you for sharing yours!!!

Ok, here's the guest quarters almost done!

http://youtu.be/3TmUhOiqY14

Sadly, probably not done enough to move in to. Which means we'll be living in the garage for a little while. Upscale camping!

We move in this Friday. Be prepared for a little radio silence from me at that point since we won't immediately have internet access and cell phone signal is sketchy at best.

• Like 3

The bamboo flooring looks incredible. I know it makes you feel so accomplished when you can visually see it all coming together. We're all so excited about your move and progress. Coming here helps us all dream I think and maybe others to realize they need to take chances and go for it. Thanks on all accounts.

• Like 1

Woot! Our cable gets hooked up Monday at the new house. Initially they told us the house wasn't wired for cable and they couldn't hook us up. We got that sorted out with a little help from a friend in the local saltwater community!

We're going to be busy as heck for the next 4 days. We're scrambling to get everything boxed up for the movers on Friday. We will initially be moving into the garage, but hopefully not for very long.

On Saturday, we rent a truck and round up most of our appliances from various places... Many places don't do delivery here, Sears being one of them, and also one of the few places that stock appliances on the island. Most have to order appliances and that can take 6 weeks.

Wish us luck, its going to be crazy!

• Like 3

We found out today that the guy is coming to install the quartz countertops on the ohana building! We might be moving into the finished ohana instead of the garage. Cross your fingers!

• Like 4

Ok, brief update. We moved in! To the garage. Still ironing out some details in the ohana building. Fortunately, the garage is pretty darn nice. The only real downsides are having no kitchen sink and the shower doesn't have any hot water. I've learned to take an effective shower with only having the water on for about a minute and a half total.

They installed the cable yesterday, but there is an issue with a ground voltage feedback in the coax cable. Probably about 60 volts or so going through the ground shield of the cable, or at least it felt like about 60 volts when I touched it, it tingled but didn't hurt like 110. Even with the cable disconnected at both ends, the house side has enough voltage to light an a/c circuit tester. It runs through underground conduit. They pulled new coax cable and there's nothing else sharing that conduit tube. Very weird. I didn't have time to finish troubleshooting it last night and called the electrician and cable company to sort it out. Hopefully we will have cable soon.

• Like 1

Our electrician was so concerned about the electrical problem that he came by tonight and did some troubleshooting. It turns out that something in the main building was feeding back power into the neutral or ground circuit. Several suspect circuits are shut off and the problem is gone. We have Internet! And thanks to our wifi range extender, we are getting 12 of our 100 megabits to the garage! Yay! So much better than the dial-up-speed, "connection-lost" sketchy 3G data connection we were getting before.

• Like 2

I would not be ok without a hot shower!!

Yeah, as you're standing there in the morning, nice and warm, naked, and contemplating turning on the cold water you ask yourself if it's really worth it.

I'll try to get a video of my view as I drive down the hill to the highway in the morning. Mauna Kea, Mauna Loa and Hualalai all lined up in a row to your left and the ocean in front of you with humpback whales breaching... It's worth the temporary hassle.

• Like 6

I need to do another video update very soon. The progress on the house so far is amazing. The ohana building is nearly finished. The bamboo flooring in the main building is half done, the main building bathroom is 3/4 complete. It's very exciting.

• Like 2

I need to do another video update very soon. The progress on the house so far is amazing. The ohana building is nearly finished. The bamboo flooring in the main building is half done, the main building bathroom is 3/4 complete. It's very exciting.

We're certainly excited for you, and jealous. You have beauty everywhere.

I'm a little bummed because I don't have any appropriate equipment for taking video of the humpback whales that are so active and giving birth just down the street from us. With binoculars, you can see them pretty well from the lanai.

We have a couple of house geckos living in the garage with us. They are a very welcomed guest to us. At night, you can hear them occasionally do their little chirp sounds that they make.

• Like 4
Mr. Microscope

humpback whales that are so active and giving birth just down the street from us.

Land whales, huh? :lol:

We have a couple of house geckos living in the garage with us. They are a very welcomed guest to us. At night, you can hear them occasionally do their little chirp sounds that they make.

I know bugs can be an issue living in HI. Do the geckos hunt them pretty well?
  • Like 1

Land whales, huh? :lol:

I know bugs can be an issue living in HI. Do the geckos hunt them pretty well?

He brings up a great point, keep the geckos and house spiders around. They will take care of flies and cockroaches for the most part.

Since Kohala is possibly one of my favorite places in our state to be, I am definitely following along (quietly though). Love your homestead and renovations (someday....). Aloha kaua!

• Like 1

Ok guys, here's an update!

http://youtu.be/v5k5ZkNwCEU

The next update might have some surprises... There has been an ongoing sh*t-show with our cabinet and counter top supplier which may end up in court. I'll spare you the details. This renovation has been exceedingly stressful. So, when we get it done, it will not have been without a lot of blood, sweat and tears.

Hawaii is an interesting place. It will be nice to get settled in one day. The dealership where I am working is it's own mess, and I'm working on something else right now. It's a poor fit for someone of my skills, abilities and morals.

Other than that, we've been too wrapped up in the renovation to do anything fun.

At least the garage is comfortable and we're making it more home-like every day!

Cheers!

Islandoftiki

• Like 2
Christopher Marks

It's looking really great! The kitchen in the main house has a nice flow to it.

Do you have any plans for landscaping once the house is complete? It looks like you're on the desert side of the island with some native trees and plants similar to what is here in Phoenix AZ. I was on Kauai in December and was amazed to see mesquite trees and cacti on the south side as well.