ReefCleaners.org

Islandoftiki's Hawaiian adventure!

Islandoftiki

So much fun! That tidepool video was really cool. Did you notice any LPS in the tidepool? I only saw montis.

I haven't seen any LPS or softies yet. The predominant corals where I've been snorkeling are porites, pocillopora, and montipora, and a few others that I haven't identified. I've seen a few nems, too. I have a friend who knows where to find zoas, so when I finally get a tank going, I can collect some.

• Like 2
Mr. Microscope

I haven't seen any LPS or softies yet. The predominant corals where I've been snorkeling are porites, pocillopora, and montipora, and a few others that I haven't identified. I've seen a few nems, too. I have a friend who knows where to find zoas, so when I finally get a tank going, I can collect some.

Cool cool!!! Can't wait to see!
  • Like 1

First video alone- worth the move!!!! Incredible and you don't even have to quarantine them to enjoy them!!!

You're right. Not a lot of maintenance involved in looking at tidepools. I'm curious to see what sort of tidepooling and snorkeling there is available up North where we'll be living. We haven't done a lot of exploring in that area.

So, the other day, I started a small shell collection...

20150117_155849_zpstxs0yrzp.jpg

In our journeys this past weekend we drove all the way up to the northern point of the island, or as far as the road goes at least. It was cold, windy and wet up there.

20150125_165405_zpsuvzs3vel.jpg

On our drive back, Pamela spotted something pretty special. A Hawaiian 'io hawk. These are on the endangered species list and The Big Island is the only place in the world that they exist now.

iohawk_zps62bfd3dd_1.jpg

And one other fish that I saw in the tide pools at Kapoho that I thought was fascinating. It sits dead still on the bottom and waits for it's meals to wander in front of it's mouth. The lizard fish:

20150124_132015_zpskx80nnmj.jpg

20150124_132009_zpsnuyhdrks.jpg

• Like 6

I wouldn't even need a tank if I could visit that tide pool every day.

Maybe you could create a scape and take care of that portion in the pool like a tank :P

• Like 2

I wouldn't even need a tank if I could visit that tide pool every day.

That probably explains the general lack of interest in reefing here. That and the obvious most-things-are-illegal-to-keep-here thing. That's not to say that there aren't people here with reef tanks full of questionable livestock--they just don't talk about them.

• Like 1

I'm curious to see what sort of tidepooling and snorkeling there is available up North where we'll be living. We haven't done a lot of exploring in that area.

You'll probably find the diving and snorkeling on the north shore isn't good. Windward side of the island and all.

When I lived on Oahu you dove on south west and surfed on the north side.

Mr. Microscope

So, the other day, I started a small shell collection...

lol! Very small shell collection. Those are my kinda shells! ;)

20150125_165405_zpsuvzs3vel.jpg

Pretty! I'd half expect to see a pirate ship sitting there.
  • Like 1

Whats the shipping situation from the mainland coral vendors that we all use from time to time or is it cost prohibitive to overnight stuff?

Pretty much everything you attempt to import is illegal here. They don't want any non-endemic species of coral or fish getting into the oceans and causing a ecosystem disaster. I've heard that there are some coral suppliers that will ship here, but you risk it getting confiscated and destroyed, and it sounds like if they confiscate a shipment, they then have your name, which gets put onto some kind of list, and they send you a nasty note. If you get caught again, I believe they start fining you. So, some people get away with it for a while. I don't think it's much more expensive to overnight stuff here than anywhere else. It's expensive either way. You can still set up a pretty nice tank legally as long as you like zoas and palys, and some of the Hawaiian zoas are pretty amazing.

I'm planning to keep my tank completely legal so I can continue to share it with others.

• Like 1

Good for you doing it legally and all. I never thought of it that way, but they are right. Whenever a non native species of anything is introduced into an environment, it could be a disaster.

Good for you doing it legally and all. I never thought of it that way, but they are right. Whenever a non native species of anything is introduced into an environment, it could be a disaster.

Hawaii is already chock full of invasive species that are leaving most of the endemic species on the endangered species list now. For example: Feral cats, mongoose, rats, mice, cattle egrets, coqui frogs, chameleons, cane toads, ants to name a few, plus dozens and dozens of invasive plants. I think the ocean is still one of the few places that remains comparatively low on invasive species, although not entirely.

I'm leaving a week from tomorrow for the big island. :happydance: My first time! Staying on the west side of the island, but will be hitting a BB near the volcano.

Can't wait to go snorkeling!

• Like 1

kapoho tide pools are amazing, Two step and captain cook are also amazing I am sure you have heard. Also for some land scenery mana road is such a nice drive.

I will be at both of these locations in May...can hardly wait!

• Like 1

Nice , I don't know what kind of shape you are in squishy, but if you Hike down to captain cook early , early like start hiking before the sun comes up you will have captain cook all to yourself before the kayak tours and boats come in, The hike back up after snorkeling for hours is tough though,

• Like 1

We have actually booked one of those tours. We may get to snorkel with the dolphin pod in Kealakekua Bay also. And then we have a car rental so we thought we'd like to go back and visit two step as well. Maybe we can meet up with John and his honey for cocktails.....we are really excited.

John, your house has soooo much potential....love your plans. My hubby and I built our house, just the 2 of us...inside. from a metal pole barn we had constructed. So we are do it yourselfers too. The tide pool pics are just insane!

• Like 1

Love this thread, I had a chance to visit the Kona, waikoloa beach area in Sept of last year and it was simply amazing. The coffee is pretty good too! So thanks for getting my mind off the 15" of snow we just got here in upstate NY! lol

• Like 1

Such an awesome thread to follow, making us all dream of moving somewhere tropical!

And the new house is a gem! The kitchen isn't so bad, a new coat of paint and it'll be fine. Question: how come there are two buildings, with a path that connects the two?

And the new house is a gem! The kitchen isn't so bad, a new coat of paint and it'll be fine. Question: how come there are two buildings, with a path that connects the two?

It's actually a common building arrangement in the warmer parts of Hawaii, I think it may called pod style housing. Bedrooms are separated from the main living area by a deck, walkway or common area. Because it's always warm, it's no big deal to go outside to go between your bedroom and living room. Most houses here don't even have heating systems, except maybe in the colder areas up at higher elevations. I'll try to get some pictures posted tonight or tomorrow. The bamboo flooring is going in in the guest quarters, the bathroom is tiled and the paint is going up. That will probably where we'll be living as the main kitchen/bath building is getting finished. My may have an extension on the house we're renting here in Kona, which would be nice as I don't think the guest house is going to be completed by this weekend when we were originally supposed to be moving.

Probably the most difficult thing about doing this renovation is the availability of supplies on the island. We have a Home Depot, and a Lowes, but when you need 400 linear feet of base molding, you're probably only going to find half of what you need and they likely won't restock for a week or four. For example, we needed twelve matching outdoor lights, we found only ten, and they have a few more on order, but who knows when they'll be in. Many of our supplies are coming from Amazon.com, which is a godsend on when you're living on an island.

Stay tuned!

• Like 5