Cultivated Reef

Islandoftiki's Hawaiian adventure!

Islandoftiki

My fiance told me she was moving to Hawaii and she hoped I would join her. LOL. Not wanting to split up with her, I decided to go along for the ride!

Pretty good reason to go!

Good thing you're getting offers then!

• Like 2
Islandoftiki

Pretty good reason to go!

Good thing you're getting offers then!

Indeed it is. I am an automotive master technician with every available certification, a college degree and a lot of particularly valuable work experience, so I have the ability to find a good job just about anywhere in the world that speaks English. I started the job hunt back in April when we last visited Hawaii when I spent the better part of a day going around to most of the nicer looking shops and dealerships handing out resumes and talking to the managers. I've been staying in contact with them since then and so I have at least three or four possible options on the table right now. On top of that, I probably only hit about 1/8 of the total automotive shops in the Kona area, so there are plenty more places to apply at if something doesn't pan out with my current options. I am probably most interested in the one that just offered me a position. The pay isn't great, but it is nothing to sneeze at. I need to find out about the rest of the compensation package beyond just the gross pay--that can add up to a lot of value, too.

• Like 2
Islandoftiki

Goodluck with your move. Your reason for moving to Hawaii is Hysterical.

It's not really an exaggeration either. She's been trying to convince me to make the leap for a couple years. After failing to come to reasonable terms to purchase the current shop that I work at, she said, "Ok, time to go. There's no good reason to stay in this cold, rainy, wet, miserable town any more."

• Like 1
Islandoftiki

I love the cold but I dont think I would have a problem moving to Hawaii

The weird thing for me is going to be Christmas. It isn't going to feel like Christmas when it's sunny and 82 degrees.

• Like 3

The weird thing for me is going to be Christmas. It isn't going to feel like Christmas when it's sunny and 82 degrees.

That's okay; it'll feel like Christmas in July.

• Like 1

Wow, this is really happening...

633FDADC-orig_zpsfade5c83.jpg

040CC099-orig_zps62178d26.jpg

3C9AC72D-orig_zpseb6030d2.jpg

3A53052B-orig_zpsc7611b04.jpg

3ECE83B6-orig_zpse76c31ff.jpg

73A2C885-orig_zps33b3ff51.jpg

As we're looking at all of these boxes, we're wondering how we accumulated so much crap! And we donated, sold and threw away quite a bit of it!

• Like 6

I'd go crazy with a label maker. When I moved back home from off-campus housing, I actually took the time to jot down the contents of each box on a post it and tape that to the top.

I'd go crazy with a label maker. When I moved back home from off-campus housing, I actually took the time to jot down the contents of each box on a post it and tape that to the top.

Yeah, we had four guys packing everything and couldn't do that. I'm sitting here looking at six boxes labeled, "Misc. Kitchen" and wishing they had been a little more specific. "Misc. Small items" and "Misc. Small Electronics" are going to be hard to sort out as we're unpacking.

Good news. I packed all of the aquarium gear myself, so it's labeled like, "ATO, Skimmer, Test kits, WP-10, MP-10" so I've got that going for me, which is nice.

• Like 1

The quality of the packing is good. I doubt much will get broken, but...

Ugh...

E40B21A1-orig_zps87154967.jpg

"Honey, which box is the miscellaneous in?"

"All of them..."

• Like 6

I'd have stuck with Betty over the fiancé. :)

I'm so sad I won't get to see any more Betty videos, they were so cool.

Congrats on the move though. I'm sure you will love it. My concern would be the island feeling too small after a while. This is just me though lol. Can you collect fish too or just inverts? If so that's badass.

Welcome to my Christmas, every year haha.

• Like 3

How are you getting your parrots there?

With two specially modified airline approved cat carriers that have bird perches. The inside windows of the carrier have been covered in metal mesh to prevent them from biting through, and there is an extra metal mesh barrier on the door. Then all of the openings of the carrier have to be covered in mosquito netting and the entire thing then wrapped in mosquito netting just to be sure they don't accidentally get West Nile virus between the vet's office and the airplane. They'll quarantine at the Vet's office for 9 days before we leave. Parrots have to have both poultry permits and exotic plant permits for some unknown reason. Apparently they're part plant?

Had to move away from Hawaii years ago.....was too small and everyone knew my business. lol

That's why we chose the Big Island. It is a little harder to get island fever.

I'd have stuck with Betty over the fiancé. :)

I'm so sad I won't get to see any more Betty videos, they were so cool.

Congrats on the move though. I'm sure you will love it. My concern would be the island feeling too small after a while. This is just me though lol. Can you collect fish too or just inverts? If so that's badass.

Don't worry, Zach will be posting pictures and videos on Betty's facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/bettystomatopod) and he should be setting up a thread on Nano-Reef before too long. I'll be sure to share the link when he does.

• Like 2

Maybe they're worried that the parrots will eat a particular plant species then poo out viable seeds? Weird, but could happen :D

That's the only thing we could think of. We'll see what they do when we take them to the department of agriculture when we land. My guess is that they won't do anything but sign the paperwork and say aloha.

I'm amazed about the need for mosquito netting on their cages. If they arrive in Hawaii and there's a hole in the netting, they'll put them on the next plane back to Oregon. I'm trying to think of a scenario in which the birds could contract west nile virus in November on a drive from the veterinary office to the airport.

Well, that's it. My last day of work is over. My tool box is waiting for a flat-bed tow truck to come pick it up and deliver it to our house.

DDEFBC77-orig_zpsc3f29661.jpg

• Like 4