SaltCritters.com

Tank Raised Maroons

koiman16

Can two tank raised maroon clowns be housed in a twelve gallon eclipse tank. I have had clownfish before, but for various reasons have lost them. Are these the best fish to go with and can two of them live together in a small tank, such as mine.

Thanks

When I was first looking to start a nano a few months ago, I wanted a Maroon clown as well, but unfortunately they get too large for a nano (I believe 6" in length). Your best bet for clowns would be Percula or Ocellaris clowns. The black & white colored clowns are pretty cool looking if you want something that's a little different.

They actually say that they only retain of lenght of 3.5 inches in the home aquarium, and so since they are tank raised they have a better chance of surving in smaller confinements. They are cheap too. Only 15.00 at Dr. Foster's Smith's. That's why I am going to buy two of them.

3.5 inches? I think not. Maroon clowns are the most aggresive clown there is. Unless you find a known mated pair. You will most likely lose one or both. And your tank is too small. Maroon clowns can reach over 6" in captivity. Find a different fish.

printerdown01

I'll take the opposite opinion... I own a maroon and have for over a year (12 gallon tank)... I bought him when he was tiny... Today he is still very small. I would not disagree that they are aggressive, once established. However, when they are first introduced into the tank they are considerably less aggressive (and more apt to accept other fish as tank mates). Once they have done this they rarely begin to bully tank mates around (however this of course will depend upon the personallity of the fish). Considering I have had my maroon a year and he is so small, I have a hard time believing that he will reach 6" anytime soon... 3.5" sounds like a fairly good estimate. We have to remember that these guys live for 20 years + in the wild... I certainly doubt that he will remain in my 12 for 20 years! *just wanted to add the other side to the story here... ;) always two sides ;)

(Edited by printerdown01 at 10:28 pm on June 18, 2002)

i have a maroon in my forty hes the coolest clown in a 12 two is out of the question way out of the question just like all clowns they are born male so  they will fight untill one turns female im pretty shure mines a tank razed but id say hes lessthen an inch  maby an inch ive seen marroons that are as big as 6 inches but in a home aquarium no way id say 3 is the biggest nime dosent seem to be  aressive at all hes really chill the yellow tang and him have a little dont they are friensa kinda cool but id do ine only one and watch him very carefully camDCP_0011.JPG

It's different in tank raised fish. The female is the biggest of the two fish. Tank raised are not aggresive towards eachother. They are actually very easy to mate, probably easier than there wild counter-parts.

Tank raised Maroons not aggressive? LOL! Guess mine breaks both of your rules, its well over 4" (3 years old) and almost as mean as my Bluedevil Damsels. Its also killed a smaller male i tried adding to hopefully form a pair. The male was also tank raised if it matters. A 12g tank is too small for 2 adult Maroons. It maybe fine for the first year but plan on upgrading or trading them in.

its never imposible to do whats not recommended....

IMO maroon clown can go in a nano when its small...but not permanently...

many of the hobbyist just give's the right opinion to keep fish where it will be happy, meaning that he will stay and live at the same environment permanently...

So lets all think about our actions and stick with whats recommended...

Yes maroon clowns get big..from the ones that i see..they look even bigger than 6 inches..

i also believe that a fish will adjust to its environment...so your fish "might" not grow up to reach a 6 inch lenght...since he's enclosed in a small tank...

i have seen many people that keep big fishes in a small tank...and IMO they are not growing healthy...thats why they are still small after a few years or so...

No, i would not attempt to put a tang in that size tank. That doesn't make any sense. Tank raised are different. Some species can even be inermingled, or should i say live together because they are used to being with other clownfish in a smaller area, so there they can be placed together. I have no idea what kind of fish you have but it looks like the pet store goofed up. tank raised clownfish will not attack eachother, they only attack if they are coral sea. They form matted pairs when they are tank raised, so basicly your reasoning doesn't make any sense.

I'm sorry but being born/breed in captivity does not change the fishes natural instincts. Being tank raised has these advantages. The fish are easier to keep because they are accustomed to an aquarium enviroment, thus being hardier and more tolerant of poor water conditions. They are use to being fed prepared foods. Are easier to breed and raise the young.

Sure different species of clowns can coexist in the same aquarium given its large enough. Otherwise they will just harrass each other til one dies or lives a miserable life. I suggest you get Joyce Wilkerson's "Clownfishes" book if you dont already have it or read it if you do.

My Maroon is Tank Raised/breed. I know this because i got it direct from the breeder. Even Joyce comments on the temperment of the Maroon Clownfish (Yes, even Tank Raised). They are know for attacking any other species of clownfish or other fish for that matter. They are also know to be the worst at attacking their owners. Go out and buy one and find out for yourself. I dont mean to sound rude, but you asked a question and several of us answered it. Now you keep telling us that we're wrong and tank raised are different. Yes, they are different but not in that way. Its like saying a farm breed horse can live in the barn because its not wild and not use to the open range.

As for pairing up clowns. Even wild caught ones will pair up. The easiest way is to get TWO small ones at the same time and let them work it out on their own. The problem arrives when you already have a large dominate female and you try to introduce a smaller male. The hard part is making sure its still a male that's why they suggest getting one of the smaller ones from a group at the LFS. Then either the male will summit to the female or be killed.

no way its in a forty lol i have a maroon and a yellow tang and a purple fire fish in my forty  thats about it on the fish might get a 6 line

cam

i have a tank raised maroon he is cool

he seems to know you and when you come up to the tank he gets all rowdy and wants to be fed.

very cool fish but i do find he is agressive.

I suggest you purchase a Tank raised specimen, I think they can go into a 12 gallon, they get large though, so  its cruel to keep a "fish in a closet". If you decide to buy one, have it as the only inhabitant of the tank, as THEY ARE agressive and boisterous, whether they are bred in captivity or removed from the wild. Even though some may disagree with me, its up to you to take the risks, I guess thats what makes this a hobby :)

I LOVE those funky fish, not only do they look sweet, but they also have this weird way of swimming, it is really comical. I would sit in my  LFS and watch this Huge maroon and this 1cm tiny baby. The "mother" would swim, and the baby would follow it, hehehehehe.

Before you embark on buying a maroon, consider playing your hand at a percula clown again. Dont try to substitute the perculas with the maroons, try to find out exactly what was the cause of your perculas death to prevent future fatalities within the tank.

All the best of luck, try to find more advice/reviews on the maroon fish before embarking on buying a maroon, no matter how funky those little fish are! :)

Don

Archived