Pod Your Reef

Kevin's Indonesian Reef

aquakevem

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fancy...Any reason why you opted for those type of buckets?

I just use the ones my salt came with...I guess with the lid and spout, it should be easier to pour without splashing it everywhere.

Fancy...Any reason why you opted for those type of buckets?

I just use the ones my salt came with...I guess with the lid and spout, it should be easier to pour without splashing it everywhere.

I couldn't resist the advantages over a typical pry lid bucket(Pain in the buttox), figured there would be less accidental spills, carrying around and pouring saltwater/freshwater, though.. I just like how it looks Lol

Substrate, planning a variety of grain sizes to mimic a natural environment of high/low flow areas.

item.JPG?rot=1

Two Little Fishies Outsanding Selections - Live Aragonite Sand

...and - where's the money shot?

I think a video in the coming week will be better :)

If UPS doesn't continue to delay my packages.... :angry:

I pretty much only use reefcrest mode, gives a nice random flow and you don't have to put up with the sound of the pump constantly switching on and off like the pulse mode.

I pretty much only use reefcrest mode, gives a nice random flow and you don't have to put up with the sound of the pump constantly switching on and off like the pulse mode.

Do you bother with using night mode and the custom wave that you can preset? I'd like to see how it works when i setup a Apex controller, creating random wave throughout the day.

Do you bother with using night mode and the custom wave that you can preset? I'd like to see how it works when i setup a Apex controller, creating random wave throughout the day.

I definitely use night mode. My tank is in my bedroom so I use it to cut down on noise at night. It also gives the fish a chance to sleep and I feel they are less likely to jump at night if there is less chance of them bumping into stuff and getting startled. I know on the reef they wouldn't get this break but I use it mainly so I can sleep haha. I haven't set up any custom wave or anything like that, I'm pretty sure that is a feature you can only use with a controller. The MP10 controller takes a while to get used to but it works quite well, make sure you download the full manual from the website, I don't believe they package them any more.

I definitely use night mode. My tank is in my bedroom so I use it to cut down on noise at night. It also gives the fish a chance to sleep and I feel they are less likely to jump at night if there is less chance of them bumping into stuff and getting startled. I know on the reef they wouldn't get this break but I use it mainly so I can sleep haha. I haven't set up any custom wave or anything like that, I'm pretty sure that is a feature you can only use with a controller. The MP10 controller takes a while to get used to but it works quite well, make sure you download the full manual from the website, I don't believe they package them any more.

You're right, just now downloading the full manual as the pump only came with a quick start guide. Ha! My tank will also be in my bedroom so i can understand the need for sleep. I don't think the noise of my mp40 is too bad at full speed, but it's definitely the loudest piece of equipment on my tank

You're right, just now downloading the full manual as the pump only came with a quick start guide. Ha! My tank will also be in my bedroom so i can understand the need for sleep. I don't think the noise of my mp40 is too bad at full speed, but it's definitely the loudest piece of equipment on my tank

From what I have heard the MP10 at half speed is about as loud as the MP40 on lower speeds (it is to be expected I guess). Mine is definitely the loudest thing on my tank also. I currently have the pump set to turn off after my short lunar period which is about 10pm, it turns back on at 8pm when the dawn cycle starts. I'm pretty sure it is set to be 20% of the maximum flow during normal operation, I might ramp it up a bit more. My head is probably about 4meters from the dry side and I can hardly hear it at night.

If you set the MP10 up with the APEX, have it switch to lagoon at half speed for night. Good with from reef crest (which I use all day during lights on)

Ha! Technically it is wet.. About a quarter of my display tank needs saltwater to reach the teeth of my overflow box, sump needs to be filled too. Pacific East Aquaculture had recently received the new gen(Gen3 ?) of Real Reef rock, which I need to put an order in for 50+ pounds, shipping and handling looks welcoming.

I sure wouldn't mind to live in Indonesia(Planning a trip before I get too old), but the tank is in US-Maryland.

My interest in an Indonesian inspired reef started with my interest in Mombasa Lionfish, which gave me an idea to stock my tank with inhabitants from the Indian Ocean/Indonesia. I liked how the Lionfish swam between the fields of stony corals.

The rock will cost me around $340/shipped, http://www.pacificeastaquaculture.com/Real-Reef-Live-Rock-Shipping-Included-Prodview.html

Is this tank in Indonesia? How much or where did you get those rocks from? And was there shipping costs? I need some for my 60g :)

Facepalm- Too quick to fill the last quarter of saltwater to my display tank and caught myself forgetting to finish my plumbing(primer and cement) from weeks ago.. Return line with siphon break and durso-standpipe.

A valve will most likely be added to the siphon line, restricting a good amount of pressure from creating a lot of unwanted noise.

item.JPG?rot=1

Careful with that valve so it doesn't create a full siphon unless you have a backup drain

If a snail gets stuck in the drain the sump will empty into the display and cause a flood which isn't desirable :D

Archived