Coral Vue Hydros

Kevin's Indonesian Reef

aquakevem

Thank you!

I can't wait to have this tank up an running. I may even have a small section of Aussie's in there too! ;)

Glad to hear, we definitely do some things right over here ;).

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Do you give all your photo the HRD treatment or you just increase the shadow sensitivity all the way up?

Looks nice.

With DSLRs now taking them in camera, no one can really say they are 'shopped.

Of course you burn through shutter count 3 or 5 times as fast, but if you're going to keep the camera, who cares?

I guess the point is that its as easy as taking one exposure now. It shows he cares, too. /ha

Quarantine Tank (QT)

item.JPG?rot=1

I was doing a bit of shopping on Premium Aquatics this past week and came across an artificial(Polyurethane) Turbinaria Mesenterina by Walt Smith, which was on clearance for $6.99 $33.95. Shoot -Thought, why not go ahead and start a quarantine tank for the first time.

40g Breeder
Milwaukee SMS120 pH monitor
2x EHEIM Jager 150w heater

ASM Mini G Skimmer, v1

Still working on this here stand(37" tall), test fitting and trying to decide which route to take with aesthetics.

More updates later this week.

item.JPG?rot=1

Rosie, Gerberian Shepsky

item.JPG?rot=0
Single frame from video for a friend of mine

Fudge - I've been told by three sources that the upcoming GHL doser 2 has been delayed for a release later this month.

My guess is the absence of software to control the dosing unit, including the launch of myghl.com.

item.JPG?rot=1

This will be my first experience with automated dosing instead of dosing by hand.

The plan:

Tropic Marin Bio-Calcium Original Balling
Avast Marine digital Profilux ATO kit
Sea Side Aquatics tube holder
(3) Vertex Libra Vessel 2.5 Tall Dosing Containers

Pump #1 Calcium Chloride Dihydriate ( part A )
Pump #2 Sodium / Natrium Bicarbonate ( part B )
Pump #3 NaCi-free sea salt / natriumchloridfreies Meersalz ( part C )
Pump #4 Freshwater via Avast Marine digital Profilux ATO kit

Test fitting plumbing to make sure i made my stand high enough, looks good so far.

item.JPG?rot=1
1/ 30 sec: f/8: ISO 100: TTL Fill Flash, Bounced Medium White Reflector

The drain flowing to the refugium 'Food Source' / frag section(roughly 5.6g) is controlled by a gate valve to divert a percentage of saltwater from going to the filter sock / skimmer section.

Pipe holder for my drain line
item.JPG?rot=1

Black 1" PVC from SAVKO Plastic Pipe & Fittings
Sch 80 1" and 3/4" PVC Pipe And Fittings from Grainger - +GF+ Piping System

Spears 1" PVC Gate Valve from Amazon
+GF+ Piping System 355 Dual Union 1" and 3/4" Ball Valve from Savko Pipe & Fittings

item.JPG?rot=1

Messy.. Though - smooth cuts. A small order of acrylic arrived to construct the stand for my skimmer. I'll see how this goes before i start to build my ATO reservoir.

Skimmer stand dimensions: 8"x 8"x 4"

Cost of tools

$59.99, Freud LU94M010 saw blade
$9.99, Weld-On #4 4 oz. can
$2.82, 23 gauge applicator

Cost of acrylic

$6.63, Skimmer stand

Note to self: Order Weld-On #4 Cement and Solvent Adhesive Applicator.

item.JPG?rot=1

item.JPG?rot=1

Yet to be bonded together, but ready to be sanded and bonded when the adhesive comes.

item.JPG?rot=1

Plumbing looks nice, looks closer to being wet. Cant wait to see it up and running.

You know it ! A bit later than planned, but ordering 50+ pounds of Real Reef Rock from Pacific East Aquaculture the day before Halloween. Looks like i won't be snatching kids bags of candy this year. Lol

Let's see how the acrylic work is coming along...

Definitely more to come, not much to the skimmer stand, though. I am waiting for USPlastic to stock black 1/4" acrylic to finish my freshwater reservoir.

dammm this is to awesome

is your sump custom made?

Thanks!

Ha! My sump is simply a 20g high by Deep Blue Professional that i had laying around collecting dust, however, just yesterday. I do have interest in constructing a acrylic sump in the future(Just for kicks).

What the !?

Delay, trust my bucket of Tropic Marin Pro-Reef salt and Hanna Instruments HI 96822 refractometer is doing alright..

item.JPG?rot=1

Sicce Syncra 2.0, Return

I saw this this morning. Great thread. Dumb question but why the Syncra 2.0? I have a custom 36g (inc sump) being built for me and I was convinced to by the Syncra 3.0 even though I originally had added the 2.0 to my request. Thank you.

I saw this this morning. Great thread. Dumb question but why the Syncra 2.0? I have a custom 36g (inc sump) being built for me and I was convinced to by the Syncra 3.0 even though I originally had added the 2.0 to my request. Thank you.

The 2.0 would be fine on 36 gallons, the 3.0 seems a bit of overkill IMO.

Very nice job on the plumbing! Looks like you have all the right gear to build a solid system, can't wait to see what is looks like stocked.

Phattypeeps,

Thanks! I'm just not completely sold on the Kessil 360's. I may look to Aqua Illuminations for more control and features.

jgaepi,

No worries. Regarding the return pressure from my Syncra 2.0(had previously as a backup pump for a different system) should be appropriate for my sump to have a somewhat slow turnover. In planning- There are no 90° elbows in my plumbing to aid in restricting more flow and I wouldn't want a too powerful pump to throttle back.

Now, if all fails when I get around to doing my leak test. A controllable Tunze pump will take its place.

Sea salt and digital refractometer has arrived omgomgomg

Bit strange that the display of the refractometer isn't backlight :huh:

item.JPG?rot=1

1 of 3, 5 Gallon pail for water changes / transporting saltwater - Right side of image

In other news...
item.JPG?rot=1
Knuckleheads at UPS have misplaced my package from DFS.

Salifert Test Kits, Ammonia - Nitrite - Nitrate
Dr. Eco System Eco Eggs and Brew

Looking good. That new GHL Doser looks great.

Thank you, sir !

It sure does, can't wait to get my hands on this doser. I really like the integrated ATO feature and smartphone / pc controllability.

I had originally purchased the Neptune Systems variant of the Avast Marine digital ATO kit, but of course the output connection wouldn't fit to GHL Profilux. So i did a RMA with them and they swapped the connection for a reasonable fee - Great Service !

This whole tank is looking sweet, get this thing wet :)

Ha! No excuses since i now have salt..

Archived