Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Marine pure

edraniam

"...although it seemed like a good idea at the time, but one we install the skimmer it became obvious the skimmer will just destroy them..."

They lined the entire skimmer section with the plates, they were thinking of putting the skimmer ontop of it, the vibration of the skimmer will reduce them to dust. They still said nothing about it being overly fragile or a bad product. They didnt put the plates back in because they feel the alone blocks were enough.

I just put in 2 blocks in my sump next to the return pump and in the compartment next to my skimmer. I guess we;ll see if they start falling apart

I wasn't trying to and don't believe I said it was a bad product. I actually said I loved it in the right setting, but for me, when I put it in the sump of my reefer 350 (it was in the skimmer section, but the skimmer had not been installed yet), the vibration from the return pump and reactor pump in the return chamber (sicce syncra 4.0 and mj1200) was enough to start disintegrating it and it made a huge mess of the sump. I was just sharing my experience with the product in relation to its durability when subjected to minor vibration. Who knows, maybe I got a defective block, but mine was just very brittle.

• 4 weeks later...

I've had great results with the large block. Most notably extremely well controlled nitrates in a 30g heavily fed system (1.5 blocks of frozen food / day).

A while back I made a video on how I was planning on using the block - check it out if you'd like to see how I introduced it to my system.

Q08ANuA.jpg

And a quick shot of a happy acro-frag.

JavaJacketOC

Anyone have a rough idea of how many spheres come in the 2 quart box? 9-12? I have space in one of my chambers after switching to a reactor for phosphate removal :D

Just ordered some spheres to use in my lagoon 25 with ecobak ez biopellets, aquamaxx hob-1 skimmer, and a small algae scrubber. Looking to feed obscene amounts of food.

• 10 months later...
On 2/24/2017 at 8:23 PM, Bobyboy said:

Any updates to this topic?

What updates are you looking for?

I still use the stuff, I recently added 2 bricks to my 90 gallon as my original one is slowly starting to deteriorate after several years of being used as a skimmer stand. It's still 80% there, but has definitely shedded some of the edges and corners, usually from me bumping it when messing with my filter sock or when I'm taking my skimmer or BPRX out for maintenance.

The large ones are simply the easiest denitrification I've ever seen. Smaller plates and spheres are still probably too small for denitrification, but the design and surface area is about as good as it gets for nitrification.

Thanks, I'm ordering a big block and some spheres.

i figure the spheres would be great to quickly setup a QT tank then let them completely dry for a while before putting back in the main system.

I'm not certain, but I think some medicines like cupramine might bond to the ceramic and introduce copper to your main system if you bring it back from QT...  a sponge filter or old filter floss that is disposable might be a safer way to bring bio-filtration to the QT...

Archived