Cultivated Reef

phosban reactor

mlaw

HAVE HEARD SOME GREAT THINGS ABOUT PHOSBAN REACTORS BY TWO LITTLE FISHES. HAS ANYONE HAD ANY EXPERIENCE WITH THIS PRODUCT ON THERE NANO? ITS SAYS MINIMUM OF 130 GRAMS EQUAL TO 1 GRAM PER 1 GALLON WONDERING IF IT WILL DO DAMAGE TO PUT ON 20 HIGH? OBVIOUSLY QUITE ABOVE THE MINUMUM REQUIREMENTS FOR 1 GALLON EQUAL TWO 1 GRAM

sorry about the caps but im not retyping just noticed

The only bad thing I've heard about phosban (and others like it) is that how quickly phosphate is taken out of the water may be linked to RTN on SPS corals. I'm not sure how it works with LPS.. I'm considering using it, eventho I have a sps only tank.

yeah, the rapid depletion of phosphates can lead to stress in SPS.. you are better to use a smaller amount in the sump. not as efficient, but thats the whole idea.

I run just a small amount in a bag in the sump, and check it once a week to make sure it hasn't turned into a solid lump.

-skeletor-

• 3 weeks later...

Yep. Have had two friends so far get SPS tissue bleaching that were most likely related to adding phosban AT recommended levels. If you do add (and you should if you have high phosphate levels - in addition to water changes using RO/DI water) then add at HALF the recommended dosage (or less).

Plankton

• 2 weeks later...

i have one and have no issues, infact, i love it as it has helped with my excess nutrients as i pack it with both nitrate sponge and phosban

I wonder if SPS would do better in a tank that was started up using PhosBan from day 1? That way there wouldn't be any rapid depletion of phosphates, they would always be very low. I might have to set up a tank and try that out. Hmm...

I have one, I used rowa phos it works great. Just make sure to use the correct size pump and don't over power it. Also start off slow turn down the flow at first.. and gradully open up the valve.

I have heard that people are using two reactors to conteract the RTN issue.

Basically you have two reactors running and change out the media a month or two apart from each other. That way when you do swap media (which is when the RTN issues have been noticec) There is far less of a change on your system which intern means far less stress on your sps.

CT nano reefer

hey brahm, what size powerhead would you suggest using? i plan on using a maxijet 600, since i don't have a sump, I will have the power head inside the tank, with 3/8" tubing to the reactor...LMK

Archived