SaltCritters.com

Sangheili/House of Sticks Triton Powered Display System & Fish Room

sangheili

One of the really cool things right now is seeing my ORP go up every single day. When the tank got rolling and the cycle was done, ORP was around 250. Now its pushing over 425. Pretty happy with how stable the tank has been thus far. Only about a 0.5 deg temp swing during the day and 0.1 pH swing. Even conductivity is super easy to keep stable. Bigger = Better.

You can see here: http://www.reeftronics.net/Sa/sangheili/apex-history

Awesome build man. I don't know whether I am more jealous about the 100 gallon display or the amazing fish room complete with superb organization and an awesome frag/fuge tank. Subscribed!

• Like 3

Thanks for the kind words guys, got some more SPS coming tomorrow so I'm excited ;)

Just spent a while dialing in the first attempt at a light program on this ATI. I love that I can control each of the 3 LED arrays independently. Lets you do things like sun rising/setting across the tank and giving more PAR to certain parts of the tank. Very cool.

This is a quick pic of the program running right now. The T5's are on full blast until they have 40-50hrs of break in time then I can start playing with the dimming on them. Light is kind of on short intensity/light periods while the tank acclimates to the new light.

hg8vLDA.png

• Like 1

A little preview of the Acros that will soon be getting added to the display. (Lots of zoas, ricordia, rock nems, and euphylia already made the move)

C9Xks8R.jpg

UAX5T6K.jpg

• Like 3

Pictures time! Still struggling with the kit lens on my T3i but I think I may be buying a macro lens soon. I'm also lazy about tripods so a bit more blur then needs to be :P

First up, FTS...

f3PZw2a.jpg

I dub thee, "Ricordia Island"...

6FG7dSh.jpg

Some of the zoas and a nice crocea

PY9OdqD.jpg

More zoas

YqESU22.jpg

Euphylia/Rock Nem Island (Apparently rare Turbinaria Bifons on the right too)

PVeycRw.jpg

CherryCorals Kookabura Acan

b59LfAM.jpg

Side shot of Ricordia Island

1dt7Qo9.jpg

Some SPS still in the frag tank waiting to be mounted. Showing good growth.

np83vkv.jpg

Rup7CaQ.jpg

Thats all for now!

• Like 8

Getting frustrated by cyano. Hoping this crap just disappears someday soon. Everyday I'm basting rocks/sand in my frag tank and dosing KZ Bak and Cyanoclean with Coral Snow. Pretty much no change in a month. Phosphates are zero and NO3 is about 5ppm. Lots of flow and no white light.

Come on tank... grow up and kick this cyano out <_<

Getting frustrated by cyano. Hoping this crap just disappears someday soon. Everyday I'm basting rocks/sand in my frag tank and dosing KZ Bak and Cyanoclean with Coral Snow. Pretty much no change in a month. Phosphates are zero and NO3 is about 5ppm. Lots of flow and no white light.

Come on tank... grow up and kick this cyano out <_<

If you can get your hands on FL cerith snails, many people have had good luck with them taking care of cyano. Just read through this whole build, and all that can be said is well done. Everything is planned to the T, and the livestock looks bangin. Is that a jawbreaker tucked in there with the rics?

• Like 1

If you can get your hands on FL cerith snails, many people have had good luck with them taking care of cyano. Just read through this whole build, and all that can be said is well done. Everything is planned to the T, and the livestock looks bangin. Is that a jawbreaker tucked in there with the rics?

No jawbreaker unfortunately just a run of the mill mushroom. Hoping the green ricordia on that island take off too since I put way too much orange vs green haha.

I've got a couple FL Ceriths and don't think ive seen them eating it. I honestly havn't seen anything really eat it even though I have tried - I have a flighting conch, numerous types of snails, and a sand sifter goby. Maybe I will place an order for a metric ton of ceriths.

I am now trying to stop all manual dosing. All KZ stuff, sponge power, Cyanoclean, etc. Stopping it all. I know its counter-intuitive but I want to see if it makes a difference.

One thing I have yet to try is a blackout period. Kind of my last option that i'm hanging on to as I don't want to starve the clams.

• Like 1

Maybe I will place an order for a metric ton of ceriths.

Just place an order for like 10 from John at Reefcleaners, and you will probably get a metric ton!!! lol

How widespread is the cyano? Have you tried GFO?

• Like 1

Just place an order for like 10 from John at Reefcleaners, and you will probably get a metric ton!!! lol

How widespread is the cyano? Have you tried GFO?

Phosphates are zero. I have a small amount of GFO and Carbon in my Avast reactor.

The cyano is 90% in my frag tank and 5% in my sump. Its pretty wide spread but not covering any coral/frags as I daily blast it off stuff. Mainly its growing over my sandbed, egg crate, and on top of my cheato ball. It's purple and comes off in mats. Oddly, there is some other type of algae (maybe its cyano also?) on my egg crate that is "fluffy".

Current Fish/Invert List:

Display Tank

• Lyretail Anthias (1x Male 2x Female)
  • Bartlett's Anthias (3x Female)
  • Ignitus Anthias (1x Female)
  • Red Saddled Anthias (1x)
  • Red Velvet Fairy Wrasse (1x Male)
  • Naoko's Fairy Wrasse (1x Male)
  • Red Head Solon Wrasse (1x Male)
  • Leopard Wrasse (1x)
  • Yellowhead Jawfish (1x)
  • Chalk Bass (2x)
  • Tobacco Bass (1x)
  • Lantern Bass (1x)

Refuge Tank

• Diamond Watchman Goby (1x)
  • Purple Firefish (1x)
  • Arrow Crab (1x)
  • Decorator Crab (1x)
  • Pedersoni Cleaner Shrimp (2x)
  • Spotted Anemone Shrimp (2x)
  • Sexy Shrimp (2x)
  • Porcelain Anemone Crab (2x)
  • Purple Reef Lobster (1x)

Sump

• Mantis Shrimp (Odontodactylus havanensis) (1x)

• Like 1

Amazing tank! Gotta say, I am definitely stealing ideas on your stocking and rock work and organization for my setup I'm starting in the coming weeks. Good work!

• Like 1

Amazing tank! Gotta say, I am definitely stealing ideas on your stocking and rock work and organization for my setup I'm starting in the coming weeks. Good work!

Better have a thread! :D

How are you liking the Apex AFS and the Gyre?

AFS is so-so. They make a crap-ton of noise but they work as advertised.

Gyre is fantastic so far. Not entirely confident in long term durability but the flow it puts out is insane. It really moves ALL the water in the tank at once not just a jet of water.

AFS is so-so. They make a crap-ton of noise but they work as advertised.

Gyre is fantastic so far. Not entirely confident in long term durability but the flow it puts out is insane. It really moves ALL the water in the tank at once not just a jet of water.

I had heard the AFS is noisy. If we get one it would be for when we are out of town. I don't see a Gyre in our 24 but I am really interested in one when the day comes to move up in tank size. Hoping the 2nd-3rd generations are Apex compatible.

I had heard the AFS is noisy. If we get one it would be for when we are out of town. I don't see a Gyre in our 24 but I am really interested in one when the day comes to move up in tank size. Hoping the 2nd-3rd generations are Apex compatible.

Yeah thats true, I do really wish it was Apex controllable. Really see no reason why it can't be, its just a standard 24v DC pump. I'm sure people will mod cables for them just like the Jebao pumps. Eventually I need to control all my pumps via Apex with cables like that since I have two Gyres and two Jebao return pumps.

• Like 2