SaltCritters.com

Sangheili/House of Sticks Triton Powered Display System & Fish Room

sangheili

Found an anti-fatigue mat that is supposedly for wet areas and still has "I'm not wearing shoes" level padding. (Most are wet-area ones are rigid and uncomfortable).

Did some trimming and laid it in place...

vQrPHpe.jpg

Finally got my containers for my Triton Elements (essentially very pure 3 part dosing).

Zj8nAnu.jpg

And started work on my Apex board.

TX0L1H8.jpg

• Like 3
  • 4 weeks later...

Lots and lots has happened since my last post. Some highlights...

1) Tank is setup along with all equipment minus the second light fixture.

2) Refuge/Frag tank is setup with all equipment.

3) A hell of a lot of frags have been delivered the last week or two :D

4) I managed to plumb two full tanks and a sump together, with zero leaks on first attempt. Muahaha.

4) Starting to mount stuff in the main display tank.

5) Anthias and lots of other fish...

6) Now 100% on the "Triton Method". Finally got my Pacific Sun doser fixed (somehow corrupted the firmware during an update).

7) Winning a battle against a small Cyano outbreak in the frag tank. Diatoms are having a small bloom too but subsiding. Skimmer is 90% dialed in.

No pics of the tanks right now since I just dosed Coral Snow.

Sump (tons of wires hidden away in the cable raceway. Still need to organize the ones for the pumps.)

m0WPvbB.jpg

Doser with integrated ATO. Triton Elementz in containers that hold 2.5gal each (about 2 months worth at current dosing rate).

NiLIS9B.jpg

Apex board (Missing a second big box that will house the LDDs for my second LED fixture that i'm still building)

8gYMWTT.jpg

Other side of the fish room. I paid about $60 to get a custom sized cutting board plastic top for that table and it was worth every penny.

8xwGqTV.jpg

• Like 3

As I said in the post... the tanks are full of Coral Snow so they are cloudy right now :D

Here's some pics from a few days ago...

Some of the frags ready to be mounted. Stuff from Cherry Corals, Jason Fox, SealifeInc, UniqueCorals, and LiveAquaria.

CrsKQ3c.jpg

The display with one of the two lights finished and mounted.

6eycc50.jpg

Long term plan is to replace the 100g display with something similar that spans this entire wall. Probably a 102x24x18 rimless ReefSavvy ;)

• Like 3
NorthGaHillbilly

The setup looks unreal clean, really digging it.

How are you liking the avast neck cleaner? Ive been seriously debating one for a few months, but dont know anyone with first hand experience.

• Like 1

The setup looks unreal clean, really digging it.

How are you liking the avast neck cleaner? Ive been seriously debating one for a few months, but dont know anyone with first hand experience.

Appreciate the kind words :D

The neck cleaner is amazing. I have yet to clean my skimmer cup/neck since I put it on, easily 3+ weeks by now. I had an issue with the smell but seem to have solved it by tossing some Kalk powder in the cup and in the Locker. Only annoyance is that when the crap builds up on cup side of the neck, you cant see the skimmer bubble hight so you kind of have to tune the skimmer based on skimmate production. Less of an issue after your skimmer is broken in I suppose.

• Like 1
NorthGaHillbilly

Appreciate the kind words :D

The neck cleaner is amazing. I have yet to clean my skimmer cup/neck since I put it on, easily 3+ weeks by now. I had an issue with the smell but seem to have solved it by tossing some Kalk powder in the cup and in the Locker. Only annoyance is that when the crap builds up on cup side of the neck, you cant see the skimmer bubble hight so you kind of have to tune the skimmer based on skimmate production. Less of an issue after your skimmer is broken in I suppose.

Thats what I wanted to hear, Im going to have to order one within the next few weeks. Did you put it together yourself?

Bought the premade one, though after looking into it could have easily done the DIY one. I've had my fair share of DIY with this build tho so might be nice to finally slow down. Just put a towel rack on the stand door yesterday lol

• Like 1
NorthGaHillbilly

Bought the premade one, though after looking into it could have easily done the DIY one. I've had my fair share of DIY with this build tho so might be nice to finally slow down. Just put a towel rack on the stand door yesterday lol

I was wondering, with the DIY I was seeing I was betting the other way around. Im going to order soon.

My tank towel stays on my chair, I might have to invest in a rack tho :D

I was wondering, with the DIY I was seeing I was betting the other way around. Im going to order soon.

My tank towel stays on my chair, I might have to invest in a rack tho :D

You can never have too many towels when it comes to reefing.

Qd0giJB.jpg

lVAzdWr.jpg

• Like 2
NorthGaHillbilly

Im going to have to add one to my stand ASAP, I just built doors after 3 months, so if I get it on by the 4th of July I'll be doing good.

I just browsed through and couldnt tell, what/ if any, reactors are you running?

• Like 1

Im going to have to add one to my stand ASAP, I just built doors after 3 months, so if I get it on by the 4th of July I'll be doing good.

I just browsed through and couldnt tell, what/ if any, reactors are you running?

I have an Avast reactor thats running GFO (which i plan to alternate with al-based PO4 remover every month) and Rox Carbon. Ideally I would have two reactors, but the reactors are massive compared to my current need for media so one works alright. It sits behind the skimmate locker.

• Like 1

how do you like the 100g cadlights? I've been looking at them if I plan on dropping some $$ soon

I was hesitant due to the issues I've seen about them before. Picking up the tank in person helped me be comfortable with it. The tank is built pretty well. A couple minor silicon imperfections, but the glass is cut well and no chips. Stand is pretty good but one of the doors has cracked near the hinge so I will likely be requesting a replacement. Its certainly a solidly built stand I will say that. Not particle board, as I found out when I enlarged the rear holes with a dremel.

The metric bulkheads are actually better then typical American style bulkheads I think, but the metric sizing is frustrating. Pretty expensive to buy the conversion pieces needed to hard plumb it in standard sizes. Also whoever decided its a good idea to run a 40mm main drain and 25mm "emergency" on a Herbie is kind of an idiot. I will say the emergency does handle a lot of flow, but it restricts me to running my Jebao DC9000 on 4 of 8 intensity. Anything more and the emergency can't keep up if the main drain plugs. Also makes tuning a pain because even with a gate valve, the pipe is just much larger then the flow.

Overall good value and good build (Not ELOS/Reefsavvy quality, but also 1/3rd the price). Just very quirky plumbing. Also worth noting that the dimensions they list are incorrect. My tank is 1200mm x 600mm x 500mm. About 1/2 to 3/4" less then their dimensions on all 3 measurements.

• Like 1
SpankythePyro

Thank you for the help. Ive read about all those things you listed. I have an unused eheim 1260 right now I believe it is and it sucks that its not those full dims. But I like it minus the ability to go full 360* viewing

• Like 1

Just caught up on the build, that tank room is just awesome. Very well organized as well. Wish I had a tank room! Build, scape and frags all look super sweet, very nice job...well done for sure.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...