Innovative Marine Aquariums

Sangheili/House of Sticks Triton Powered Display System & Fish Room

sangheili

I see in FTSs a lot, just wondering if you had any close ups, that colony is beautiful. Sorry to hear about that patch of STN, with how healthy the system is, it should make a solid recovery don't you think?

Its an acropora plana wild colony from Australia, one of the first acros I put in the tank. There are lots of pictures throughout the thread of it B) Recently it has lost color and it has about a 2" dead-tissue spot in the center of it. The coralline on my back wall died off a couple months ago and started peeling off. Some flake of it landed in the center of the colony and caused some die off which seems to have gotten infected or something. I am hoping it pulls through and regrows over the lost tissue, but that colony is struggling right now.

I see in FTSs a lot, just wondering if you had any close ups, that colony is beautiful. Sorry to hear about that patch of STN, with how healthy the system is, it should make a solid recovery don't you think?

Well lets put it this way, this display and connect frag tank, with roughly 30+ mini colonies and 100-ish frags, has not see a coral death in 6+ months. I lose more fish then I do corals. 5 or 6 of my Anthias have died in the last 6 months due to aggression from the dominants and from me getting slack on feedings (most refuse to eat the autofeeder pellets, unlike the wrasses).

A couple pics of the plana from a few months back:

IMG_173523_large.jpg?v=1444782172

IMG_1931_large.jpg?v=1444782161

Here's a shot of it from Unique when I purchased it (it got much thicker in my tank, seems I gave it a lot more flow):

MGXa5AD.png

• Like 3

Some of my favorite stuff in the frag tank...

ianaRjk.jpg

okFpV5E.jpg

6dt3YKw.jpg

0tKjZ9j.jpg

8LZ7KGU.jpg

Cwv3Zhb.jpg

LYCAuO3.jpg

38gvHCF.jpg

whu5POO.jpg

zqfPLu8.jpg

vTKMHzp.jpg

And for laughs... some of the same corals shot under Royal Blue LEDs only. Saturation slider at 10 (of 100). You can see how deceptive lighting can be. #SmurfMode

5nBEN3R.jpg

Zg69ybp.jpg

pgnoYOo.jpg

nPNJ5mT.jpg

TGHyhU6.jpg

• Like 7

wow thats a nice setup, your bali shortcake (im assuming) looks great!! if you know par values over it id love to hear! or a general bright or not so bright as well, mine doesnt look like yours!

• Like 1

wow thats a nice setup, your bali shortcake (im assuming) looks great!! if you know par values over it id love to hear! or a general bright or not so bright as well, mine doesnt look like yours!

Roughly 400 PAR. :)

• Like 1

Well snap, that morphed into something crazy!

I should put it under the egg crate, less light and it would probably get deeper colors. Pretty nice as it is though B) When it hits the edges of that tile i'll have to chop it up. Keep an eye out for frags in a few months. I think i'm gonna start growing out some nice favias, I have some crazy cool ones on the site and I kinda just want to keep them all haha. One of my new favorite corals.

Wow. Good growth and color.

How you do that?

My seems no growth

I don't really do anything not detailed in the thread, so give it a read ;) Just Triton, light, and fish food B)

• Like 1

Triton mean no need water change.

I heard about it but just cannot accept the concept.

But look like you going to change me

This tank has never seen a water change. Still has the same water I cycled the tank with. 14+ months now B)

• Like 3

This tank has never seen a water change. Still has the same water I cycled the tank with. 14+ months now B)

The jealousy! I wish wish wish I could do triton lol. Oh well.

• Like 1

Love those shots!

Any advice for those who can't use the Triton method due to lack of funds, no fuge ,etc? You said you also have an AIO. Just wondering if you have good growth in that tank. I just can't seem to get much though I've seen a small improvement by lowering alk and carbon dosing.

• Like 1

Love those shots!

Any advice for those who can't use the Triton method due to lack of funds, no fuge ,etc? You said you also have an AIO. Just wondering if you have good growth in that tank. I just can't seem to get much though I've seen a small improvement by lowering alk and carbon dosing.

I don't have the AIO tank anymore, but in comparison it was way more difficult to run then this tank despite being 10x smaller. I could never keep SPS alive in it also. The biggest advantage to scaling up in tank size is really the ability to have proper life support systems such as efficient skimmers, reactors, and refugiums. I know this is a nano-centric forum and I loved my nano tank, but they certainly are more challenging.

Best budget alternative to Triton is honestly going to be good old 2 part dosing + regular water changes. I recommend a good salt like Red Sea Blue Bucket (not Coral Pro) or DDOcean Magnesium Plus.

• Like 2

Thanks, I appreciate the advice. I was also afraid you'd say that. I've been eyeing a Red Sea Reefer 425 but it's going to be a while.

I am using 2 part and HW Marin salt so hopefully things turn around soon.

• Like 1

I don't have the AIO tank anymore, but in comparison it was way more difficult to run then this tank despite being 10x smaller. I could never keep SPS alive in it also. The biggest advantage to scaling up in tank size is really the ability to have proper life support systems such as efficient skimmers, reactors, and refugiums. I know this is a nano-centric forum and I loved my nano tank, but they certainly are more challenging.

Best budget alternative to Triton is honestly going to be good old 2 part dosing + regular water changes. I recommend a good salt like Red Sea Blue Bucket (not Coral Pro) or DDOcean Magnesium Plus.

i wouldnt even say that triton is that expensive. when you look at what a 2 part would cost to make 2 1/2 gallons of alkalinity, 2 1/2 gallons of calcium, 2 1/2 gallons magnesium/ trace elements, and a bucket of salt for regular water changes i think it would cost the same if not more to go 2 part. it really comes down to if you have the system that is able to house a refugium, doser, and skimmer that would limit if triton is the right route. price wise i would argue that once you have the tank balanced on triton its cheaper. the my personal opinion.

anyway im a regular on your page and must say that your corals are looking great! cant wait to see what they look like down the line

• Like 1

i wouldnt even say that triton is that expensive. when you look at what a 2 part would cost to make 2 1/2 gallons of alkalinity, 2 1/2 gallons of calcium, 2 1/2 gallons magnesium/ trace elements, and a bucket of salt for regular water changes i think it would cost the same if not more to go 2 part. it really comes down to if you have the system that is able to house a refugium, doser, and skimmer that would limit if triton is the right route. price wise i would argue that once you have the tank balanced on triton its cheaper. the my personal opinion.

anyway im a regular on your page and must say that your corals are looking great! cant wait to see what they look like down the line

While true, be aware the concentrations are not the same. You will likely dose less 2-part (depending on product) then Triton. Triton has to be a bit more "diluted" due to the additional elements that may precipitate if not.

I am dosing about 350ml/day on this Display system (about 2dkh a day consumption). Raceway 1 is getting about 600ml/day at the moment.

While true, be aware the concentrations are not the same. You will likely dose less 2-part (depending on product) then Triton. Triton has to be a bit more "diluted" due to the additional elements that may precipitate if not.

I am dosing about 350ml/day on this Display system (about 2dkh a day consumption). Raceway 1 is getting about 600ml/day at the moment.

psssshhhh when you put it like that you are burning through a lot of chemical! i am currently at about 50ml a day on a 50gal tank

• 2 weeks later...