inTank Media Baskets

Sangheili/House of Sticks Triton Powered Display System & Fish Room

sangheili

• 2 weeks later...

What mode do you run on your Gyre 150? Been struggling a bit with new tank on getting right config for good PE. I get PE but not as much as I would like.

It varies based on the tank. The display runs alternate gyre mode usually. Problem can be sometimes the Gyres are finicky and will seize up. When they get touchy like that I tend to keep them in single-direction made. Don't worry so much about PE on corals, it has more to do with detecting food in the water and proper chemistry then anything else.

FTS please! :flower:

Soon... very soon :D

On an unrelated note, I have now lost two Jebao DCT pump power supplies. I think I may buy some bulletproof meanwell ones in time.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, very nice. What are the names of the first two? Where they taken under T5?

First two are UC Bali Shortcake and JF Fox Flame. All photos of this tank are under mixed T5/LED from the ATI Powermodule Hybrid.

I actually just posted a frag of the Fox Flame on our site ;)

• Like 1

Can't sleep so I decided to checkout the tank with a flashlight. My "Aurora Plana" acro colony seems to be dying from some form of bacterial infection. I think something got stuck in it and started some tissue necrosis. Very odd. Anyway that's not the only odd thing...

I have a flame scallop.

I have never bought, seen, or added one to the tank. I started this tank with dry rock and every coral I added was dipped with bayer so somehow this thing snuck in as a baby (probably as larva). Anyway it is alive and thriving and I'd estimate it must be at least 1.5" of shell (I can't see the shell where it has decided to call home). Kind of a cool accomplishment too considering everywhere I read these are "impossible to keep alive". #TritonPower

Here's a video...

• Like 4

The CC Alien Inferno ran outta space... gotta frag some and send em to me to make room! :lol:

Looks fantastic. The growth shots are pretty incredible, and that Strawberry Shortcake just cannot decide what color it wants to be!

• Like 1

Looks fantastic. The growth shots are pretty incredible, and that Strawberry Shortcake just cannot decide what color it wants to be!

Some of that is the color profiles in RawTherapee. For the last 4-6 months-ish I've been using pretty much the same profile. Kind of cool you can see the progression of not only the coral growth, but my photography and processing skills in those growth comparisons. I've used the same camera pretty much since Day 1. Also sometimes the lighting is a bit different, depending on what time of day I take the pictures. My T5s and LEDs dim separately so the color balance can shift. Thats why the latest FTS is a bit more "glowly" then previous ones, it was more LED than T5 since I took the shots later at night then normal.

I don't currently have a time in my lighting profile when its only LED and no T5, but I did when I was breaking in the new bulbs a few months ago and my god, when it's royal blues only this tank glows like you can't imagine. At some point I may turn only on the blues and try to take some pictures.

With royal blue only it looks something like this (edited photo, jacked the saturation and vibrance):

ckuB7U7.jpg

• Like 2

agreed although a complete change of methodology makes me nervous.

Hardest part with switching to Triton is if your tank doesn't have a fuge or if your fuge isn't growing well. If the fuge can't keep up then you can end up with more algae in your display, since the Triton Base Elementz has several elements in it to fuel macro algae growth. So when switching over there is sometimes a cycle of the tank growing more algae before the fuge takes off and soaks up all the macro food. I've noticed this cycle in starting Triton tanks. Also sometimes manifests itself in a cyano outbreak. But once the fuge kicks off the whole system hits an equilibrium thats quite fascinating to observe over time. The fuge and dosing allows quite a bit of flexibility in nutrient export. I've had several big fish die before and the tank doesn't even care, the fuge just grows a little faster. Ive also gone weeks at a time with the skimmer removing zero skimmate due to intake clogs, and I can't even tell. I have stopped testing Nitrate on this tank, because in the first 6 months I never had a test over zero.

The best part is honestly the low maintenance though. I think I've spoke about it before, but I do so little work on this tank considering the size of it and how difficult some of the corals are to keep. I spent more time maintaining my 24 gallon AIO then I do on this entire system.

Aside from fragging, this is more or less the entirety of my upkeep on this system:

• Every few days: Test alk and clean glass. Feed frozen food.
  • Once a week: Spend 2 minutes dosing a couple trace elements. Turn on RODI to fill top off container.
  • Once a month: Replace carbon if I feel like it. Refill Triton dosing element containers. Take 5 mins to send off a Triton test and once results come back, do a little adjustment dosing.
  • Once every other month: Empty the skimmate locker. Replace the GFO. Cut out some macro algae from the fuge.
  • Every 6 months: Clean skimmer cup and body. Clean powerheads.
  • Every year: Replace bulbs. Replace doser tubes inside roller heads.

No testing other then alk (since the regular Triton tests check everything else for me and stuff almost never gets out of whack). No water changes. No sand cleaning. No sump cleaning. No skimmer/cup cleaning (other then twice a year). etc etc.

Pictures are always amazing in this thread.

What's the SPS mounted to the overflow? Do you have any pics of that?! I love tabling acros, especially when they're mounted to walls/overflows.

Its an acropora plana wild colony from Australia, one of the first acros I put in the tank. There are lots of pictures throughout the thread of it B) Recently it has lost color and it has about a 2" dead-tissue spot in the center of it. The coralline on my back wall died off a couple months ago and started peeling off. Some flake of it landed in the center of the colony and caused some die off which seems to have gotten infected or something. I am hoping it pulls through and regrows over the lost tissue, but that colony is struggling right now.

• Like 3