Coral Vue Hydros

Fluval Spec 3 Reef (WARRNING PICTURE HEAVY)

saltwatercoral

Top-offs would be fine for 2 days so long as it's not overly hot in your office. Most offices turn the heat down during the weekends however so you should be fine. (Ie. You evaporate more with hotter temps, I notice it go quicker after 78*F, or while running a cooling fan in the hot hot summer days.)

For light...Not sure which would be better - to leave it on the 2 days, or turn it off for the 2 days. Part of me thinks off, because most corals won't die without light for several days but they can "bleach" from having too much light. Just go buy a $5 timer and plug it in so it comes on during the day / off during the night :)

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What does everyone do for tanks at work? I have been thinking about my little pico tank am wondering how things are. I don't have a way to turn the lights on and off automatically yet. Also don't have a way to top it off with fresh RO water either. Should I need to worry about this or not worry about it for 2 days?

You could try a digital timer for getting the lights on/off during the day. And if you don't want to keep an ATO system at work (like the Smart ATO or something, and a tall, somewhat thin container to keep distilled water in), you can keep bottled distilled water and top it off when you get to work. Weekends will be interesting, though.

saltwatercoral

Top-offs would be fine for 2 days so long as it's not overly hot in your office. Most offices turn the heat down during the weekends however so you should be fine. (Ie. You evaporate more with hotter temps, I notice it go quicker after 78*F, or while running a cooling fan in the hot hot summer days.)

For light...Not sure which would be better - to leave it on the 2 days, or turn it off for the 2 days. Part of me thinks off, because most corals won't die without light for several days but they can "bleach" from having too much light. Just go buy a $5 timer and plug it in so it comes on during the day / off during the night :)

Thanks Kijho! Sounds like I may need to get a timers for now.... Until I can get the Aqua Illumination Hydra 26! Looks nice and with the controller I should be able to get the corret lighting as well! But that's going to be around $500 and just don't have that much right now. I already put several hundred into this little guy...

NorthGaHillbilly

Lights on for two days will cause you some serious problems, my man Kijho is right, a timer is defiantly the way to go.

For top I would get a glass cover for the tank when your gone, just make sure your getting enough O2 exchange.

saltwatercoral
Lights on for two days will cause you some serious problems, my man Kijho is right, a timer is defiantly the way to go.

For top I would get a glass cover for the tank when your gone, just make sure your getting enough O2 exchange.

Thanks NorthGaHillbilly! I'm going to get a timer this week for the lights! I hope everything goes good tomorow mornjng when I go in! I may go in early to see what's going on

saltwatercoral
A few? I hope they don't fight each other! :x
I only grabbed 4 but will grab a few empty shells for them as well!

Same lol, put in loads of spare shells to prevent that or them killing the snails
Don't have any snails just yet but will get a few this weekend... And a few extra shells!

I only grabbed 4 but will grab a few empty shells for them as well!

Don't have any snails just yet but will get a few this weekend... And a few extra shells!

Hopefully they're too busy being good CUC to fight. I put a blue-legged hermit in my Nuvo 16 and I'm afraid to put in any more of them. :x

saltwatercoral
Hopefully they're too busy being good CUC to fight. I put a blue-legged hermit in my Nuvo 16 and I'm afraid to put in any more of them. :x
Yikes! I'm going to keep an eye on these little guys! Thanks Mariaface!

The pic makes them look big though. They are a little bigger then the eraser on a pencil.

Yikes! I'm going to keep an eye on these little guys! Thanks Mariaface!

The pic makes them look big though. They are a little bigger then the eraser on a pencil.

They grow up so fast, though :wub:

And they'll be squishy and vulnerable just after a molt, watch out for that

I'm going to hold off on fish for this setup. I may get a few sexy shrimp and a CUC but that's about it. I did get a Pulsating Xenia and a Green Star Plop frag today. They are In the tank and going to monitor how they do! I'll post pics tomorow!

Beware the xenia in a nano of this size. I ended up having to take about 5 pounds of live rock out that was literally covered with xenia after about only 5 months. Xenia loves the lower flow of these tanks and will go nuts. Unless that is what your hoping for of course. :)

saltwatercoral

Sunday is when I get the rest of my corals to fill this little tank! Here are some of the pics I have have. Not the best quality but its better than nothing!

3F960C8A-A883-43F5-A97F-6FA02DE49EEB_zps

D4B4CDAC-5EB5-4515-B00A-39EDCADCF978_zps

18C6DD72-130C-4FA2-9523-DB79AB5132D8_zps

F7EB7AF0-79F9-4658-BB2F-B3E2A7BF5793_zps

3B7D8A13-31D2-47C0-B1B8-662399F25336_zps

I have my spec V at work and have gone away for five days so far and the tank was fine.

For evaporation, just cover the hole in the top with plexi and over-fill the tank as much as possible with extra distilled water before you go away for a long time.

I also use a cheap $5 timer from home depot to run the lights and I bought a power bar on Amazon that has individual on/off switches on each plug. That way I can turn off the main pump with one switch while feeding and leave the other switches on.

My biggest concern with leaving for a full 10 day Friday to Monday is the fish. I know fish can go a while without eating but 10 days seems like a long time, especially for hungry clowns and gobies.

Beware the xenia in a nano of this size. I ended up having to take about 5 pounds of live rock out that was literally covered with xenia after about only 5 months. Xenia loves the lower flow of these tanks and will go nuts. Unless that is what your hoping for of course. :)

Why have I never seen xenia at my LFS? I actually want some lol.

saltwatercoral

I have my spec V at work and have gone away for five days so far and the tank was fine.

For evaporation, just cover the hole in the top with plexi and over-fill the tank as much as possible with extra distilled water before you go away for a long time.

I also use a cheap $5 timer from home depot to run the lights and I bought a power bar on Amazon that has individual on/off switches on each plug. That way I can turn off the main pump with one switch while feeding and leave the other switches on.

My biggest concern with leaving for a full 10 day Friday to Monday is the fish. I know fish can go a while without eating but 10 days seems like a long time, especially for hungry clowns and gobies.

Thats a good idea for evaporation Lecroj! I may try this myself! Im not going to have any fish so I will not have the feeding problem myself!

Why have I never seen xenia at my LFS? I actually want some lol.

lol, Its nice to have in the tank for movment and looks! My LFS has tons of it and always seems to have different size frags as well.

LOL :D:lol: Mariaface

It's actually funny that I mentioned that; the next morning, my little guy had molted. I freaked out for a moment, because it was the first one I'd witnessed, but then I realized he was standing right next to it facing the opposite way and I could see his eyes poking out and moving.

Thats a good idea for evaporation Lecroj! I may try this myself! Im not going to have any fish so I will not have the feeding problem myself!

Not actually that good an idea if you're not super careful about it. You'll be bringing down salinity all at once when the weekend starts, messing with oxygen exchange levels, and then leaving for a while. I'd only do this if the initial addition didn't change salinity by more than 0.001 (and even then, I'd add the water throughout the work day), and if the time over the weekend wouldn't bring the salinity down from its normal point by more than 0.001 (and when I got back I'd again add the water to bring it up throughout the day and not all at once), and if I were certain that something could counteract CO2 buildup in the tank while it's covered. If the media side is uncovered, that should be fine. Or if there's a macro growing opposite the day cycle creating O2 for the tank, also good.

I'd say that's one of those situations where an ATO is absolutely necessary, especially in a tank that small. :wacko:

Adding extra fresh water should work fine before a long weekend (I do it every Friday). Think of it as a tidal pool and a heavy rainstorm. Its not like you are adding a gallon, just a few extra ounces.

Also, there is an opening over the media area so oxygen and CO2 still can exchange there. I always leave my main opening covered so my gobie won't jump out and it doesn't cause any issues. Many tanks have a lid.

Adding extra fresh water should work fine before a long weekend (I do it every Friday). Think of it as a tidal pool and a heavy rainstorm. Its not like you are adding a gallon, just a few extra ounces.

Also, there is an opening over the media area so oxygen and CO2 still can exchange there. I always leave my main opening covered so my gobie won't jump out and it doesn't cause any issues. Many tanks have a lid.

See, I didn't know whether or not the media portion was covered. I'm not saying definitely don't, I'm just saying that it's something you should be careful with. If the tank had started off Friday evening needing a top-off already, for example, and you added water until it was back to its regular level and then continued to make up for weekend loss, the sudden change would upset inhabitants. I am glad that it's working for you! And also kinda jealous of everyone with work tanks to begin with; I should look into that.

saltwatercoral

Alright, here is my score for the day... I was able to get 8 frags of zoa's and pallys! I was not able to get the 2 that I wanted due to them growing too much on the rock that he had and didn’t want to hurt the colony to rip them off. So he is going to frag a section when he has the time to do it right.

Everything is still issed off as I just put it in and I am not going to wait around for them to all open... Ill be back into work tomorrow

E09ED161-8EDA-4946-ADC9-72B7FF365EB6_zps

15F7E18A-0738-4CEA-B0BD-26667EFC758B_zps

BLUE KISS ZOA COLONY

984F0BB0-A8C1-4979-ADE0-424E288F77C7_zps

JASON FOX ZOA FRAG

B9E3BDEA-24CE-46D5-B4AC-CEE64DF068C7_zps

BRIGHT RED ZOA WHEN OPENED

C7F165D4-B7D9-4298-9D48-94AA7BD32F18_zps

RED LEGED HERMIT AND GREEN DEATH PALLY

5B1A21C4-B698-4776-9C13-9E3CDCFA5B70_zps

All the others are closed so not worth posting pics of them yet...

KING MIDAS

07BC8F76-195D-466F-BCB7-34219E9DA3C7_zps

Archived