ReefCleaners.org

Official PLS-50 Elite Q&A Thread

CAD-Aqua

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I posted this in another thread, but figured it would be good to put this here too. Hope I don't step on any toes at CADLights for slightly modding the skimmer, but it is working well for me now that I have done so.

For anyone who is still having some issues with tuning this skimmer, I have some advise. I added a couple inches of air line tubing to the intake on the muffler. Then, I attached a air line valve to the end of the air line tubing. This allows for minute adjustments to the amount of air being pulled in by the pump.

Then, this is what has worked well for me so far:

1) Open the air valve all the way

2) Take the skimmer cup off and tune the skimmer so that the foam head is right at the top of the skimmer neck, but not over flowing

3) Lock the skimmer in place using the red flower knob and set screw, but not so much that your foam head falls

4) Put the skimmer cup on, then increase your foam head up into the skimmer cup neck by closing off the air line valve. This also helps to somewhat descrease the size of the air bubbles, making the skimmer work a little bit more efficiently.

I would suggest leaving the main skimmer adjustment the same while fine tuning it with the air line valve over the course of a week or so. Make small adjustments and then wait a day or 2 to see how the skimmer reacts.

This has by far helped me to dial the skimmer in better. I still am not getting a thick dry skimmate, but I am getting a much dirtier wet skim than I was before, which I can deal with for now.

Oh and when it is time to empty the skimmer cup, do what others have suggested and use a left to right motion(not twisting) to remove it from the skimmer body.

Hope that helps. I'll try to grab a picture of the skimmate I am getting in a couple days once it has somewhat filled up a bit.

Hi, I have the question with the pump. It operates quite loud on my PLS-50 elite skimmer. Is this normal? Should I wait for a bit before asking for pump replacement?

Hi, Uppree

Thank you for your message. in certain applications, many times the noise from the pump or skimmer comes from vibrations against the tank or surrounding area that is touching it. try to look for areas where the pump or the skimmer may be touching and try to adjust it where there is a little space in between. in excessive situations, you may also use a small piece of filter pad or something similar to insulate it.

• 3 weeks later...

I have one more "trick" for this skimmer. I rolled the red rubber seal to the top of the skimmer cup. Making it waaaaaaay easier to remove the cup, when cleaning. Since I did this, i have not readjusted my skimmer in months. I get dark skim mate and have to clean it every 3-4 days.

• 2 weeks later...

hey cadlights, my friend bought an elite skimmer but there seams to be a leak under the upper plate, i ran my finger nail accross the seam and theres a decent gap there, anything you can do?

Hi, Tetradon

No problem. please have your friend send us some pictures of the area and we will determine what the issue is and send you anything that is required. please send it to Customerservice@cadlights.com

also, please send in a proof of purchase as well.

Thanks so much

Scott

Great idea Eckozulu

if the collection cup comes out smoother giving the surrounding areas less disturbance, the skimmer will definitely run at a more constant setting.

you can also try to lubricate the gaskets a little using unscented Vaseline. we find it helps in making everything easier to adjust and smoother all around.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been running your skimmer for a month and a half and still have microbubbles. It seems like the bottom plate is slightly warped, keeping the skimmer body from sealing completely.

Reporting for my PLS 50 elite.

I run the skimmer for three month now. It works great.

At first, you might have some micro bubble problem from all the leaking chemical you introduce to the tank i.e. epoxy putty. My nitrate is very low and I figure out how to adjust the foam level by adding water to the tank.

One more thing for you Scott, I actually run my skimmer at 8.5" depth. Has been working very well, skim mate is pretty dark.

Thanks Eckozulu

8.5" is a pretty deep setting, but we have had a range of different optimal heights depending on the livestock load and water density.

That sounds great Eckozulu, im very happy to hear the PLS-50 Elite is performing great for you. thanks for letting us know your optimal water height.

Thanks so much

Scott

• 9 months later...

How long is it taking everyone to get any foam production? I'm at 36 hours and just a mix of small and big bubbles bubbling up from the chamber into the neck. Its an established tank and the 9001 that was in there was foaming and producing skimmate. The level is at 5 3/4 inches from the bottom of the suction cups on the pump.

-Steven

20160110_085106.jpg

How long is it taking everyone to get any foam production? I'm at 36 hours and just a mix of small and big bubbles bubbling up from the chamber into the neck. Its an established tank and the 9001 that was in there was foaming and producing skimmate. The level is at 5 3/4 inches from the bottom of the suction cups on the pump.

-Steven

20160110_085106.jpg

I would give it a couple of days. Takes a while to break in

I threw the 9001 back in and the pls-50 is in the same depth of dirty water from my water change. I ran it in a vinegar solution to clean it up and flushed it out before having it run the tank water. Ill be adding the skimmate from the 9001 in with it to help it get going.

Well i ran it in some other water and poured the skimmate into the bucket to get it broken in. So i threw it back in the tank this afternoon and ill see how long it takes to produce anything.

• 9 months later...
SouthFlorida_Tron

Its been a while and after a full skimmer cleaning I've had to completely re-calibrate it and forgot the recommended depth setting... at the moment i think i have it at 6.5"

is 5.5" better?

thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...

Its been a while and after a full skimmer cleaning I've had to completely re-calibrate it and forgot the recommended depth setting... at the moment i think i have it at 6.5"

is 5.5" better?

thoughts?

Hey Tron!

for the PLS-50, the 5.5" would be the better one.

Thanks

Archived