Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Official PLS-50 Elite Q&A Thread

CAD-Aqua

My only concern with this skimmer is that the slightest amount of microbubbles still make it through into my return section. I can't tell if my water level should be higher or lower, but I've temporarily postponed the issue by keeping a large piece of filter floss between the skimmer and return pump.

On the other hand, the skimmate being produced is awesome.

ljlKJLh.jpg

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will post the Modifications that I have done to finally get this skimmer operating and producing as it should. I removed the skimmer for a while and ran the Aquaticlife 115 skimmer while I worked on the Necessary mods. I am now finally happy with this skimmer.

#1 Thread Tape / Plumbers Tape on the Threads of the Tia pump - a very thick layer.

#2 To eliminate the micro bubbles escaping from the skimmer base at the mounting bracket, install a very thin o ring gasket.

#3 Eliminate the Muffler, and attached an air valve. This has helped me be able to make small adjustments, without having to move the skimmer body.

6-7" of water depth from the bottom of the skimmer pump.

My only concern with this skimmer is that the slightest amount of microbubbles still make it through into my return section. I can't tell if my water level should be higher or lower, but I've temporarily postponed the issue by keeping a large piece of filter floss between the skimmer and return pump.

On the other hand, the skimmate being produced is awesome.

Im having the same issue with microbubbles maria although mine has only been running a week so i figured id give it another week or so until I was sure it was "broken in" but it seems this is a common issue.

I will post the Modifications that I have done to finally get this skimmer operating and producing as it should. I removed the skimmer for a while and ran the Aquaticlife 115 skimmer while I worked on the Necessary mods. I am now finally happy with this skimmer.

#1 Thread Tape / Plumbers Tape on the Threads of the Tia pump - a very thick layer.

#2 To eliminate the micro bubbles escaping from the skimmer base at the mounting bracket, install a very thin o ring gasket.

#3 Eliminate the Muffler, and attached an air valve. This has helped me be able to make small adjustments, without having to move the skimmer body.

Thanks alot for posting your mods s&j Im going to try them out myself Could you share the type/size of o ring gasket needed?

http://www.theoringstore.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=367_23_22&products_id=1113

We used something very similar to this. I am not sure of the exact dimensions, because we have a big box of misc o-rings. John watched the skimmer in action, and realized where the micro bubbles were being produced. They were coming from the bottom of the skimmer, where it sits and spins in the Mounting bracket. When the Red lock is tightened down firmly, the opposite side of the skimmer bottom lifts up, allowing the escape of the micro bubbles.

I am sure a person could also just use Teflon tape/ Plumbers tape to create the small seal needed as well. I believe this could have been avoided had the bottom of the skimmer been slightly longer, even by just 1/16 of an inch, and the recess in the mounting bracket been deeper, and just a slightly smaller diameter.

I had all but given up on this skimmer, frustrated with the micro bubbles. I issue the credit to John, for analyzing the issue, and then being creative and patient enough to find the solution.

Removing the Muffler, and adding the airline mod, allows for more detailed adjustments. All of the parts John used for the airline mod came with Cobalts Maxi Jet 1200. I use the Maxi Jet for mixing my water change water , so the additional parts included with the pump were available for our use.

These DIY mods have Finally produced an effective, No Micro-bubble skimmer. I hope this helps! Shane

#2 this is a great Idea . My work around for this problem was leaving the red nut very loose, an o ring is a better solution.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sizing a tank insert to make an all-in-one.  It should house a media basket, return pump, and possibly a skimmer.

Can someone tell me the minimum dimensions this skimmer would require to operate properly?  

i.e. minimum depth of water, minimum clearance from back glass on which it clips to the front, and minimum width side to side?  I've seen the specs that indicate it's very slim (3.25x3.25"), but those measurements can be deceiving as they usually don't take into account things like a power cord coming off to the side that can't bend, or the width of the mounting bracket, or an airline tube that would be pinched if it was squeezed into a space that matched its specs...  Would it actually fit and function in a space that was exactly 3.5"x3.5"

Thanks.

6 minutes ago, holy carp said:

I'm sizing a tank insert to make an all-in-one.  It should house a media basket, return pump, and possibly a skimmer.

Can someone tell me the minimum dimensions this skimmer would require to operate properly?  

i.e. minimum depth of water, minimum clearance from back glass on which it clips to the front, and minimum width side to side?  I've seen the specs that indicate it's very slim (3.25x3.25"), but those measurements can be deceiving as they usually don't take into account things like a power cord coming off to the side that can't bend, or the width of the mounting bracket, or an airline tube that would be pinched if it was squeezed into a space that matched its specs...  Would it actually fit and function in a space that was exactly 3.5"x3.5"

Thanks.

I'll try and get measurements of the one sitting in my closet (unmodded, though I did steal the airline tubing for the modded one)!

I know the power cord is very malleable, as thin as the cobalt neotherm's. I can't see it using up another inch of space, so maybe .25 to .5" if you'd rather it fit loosely. The airline tube fits within the bracket, and curves around the body of the skimmer so it doesn't stick out. The silencer it comes with also sits on the bracket, but sticks out about .5" from the corner because its intake hole is up against the edge of the bracket. Or maybe this is just my bracket after modding? I'll check.

And the minimum recommended height was 5.5" (I think that's what I read here?). I have it sitting in the second chamber of the Fusion 20 so it can't need too much height. :)

If I had it to do all over again, I would NOT build a custom tank's AIO skimmer section around this skimmer.

I would build 4-1/2" inside dimentions. This will allow the option to use many other skimmers that are available. I can't say how well they perform, because I am so limited in what I can try.  I have fought this skimmer for the last year. I thought with our mods we had it dialed completely,but it's still touch and go.

My 2 cents.

• 3 weeks later...

Are they still making this skimmer, it's sold out everywhere, even on their site. I've tried e-mailing them and got no replies, and no one answers at their phone. I get an answering machine every time I call.<_< 

Archived