ReeferBoo

Congrats boo it looks fantastic!

On 1/2/2015 at 11:45 PM, ReeferBoo said:

This tank is now a year old! omgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomg

And here's a New Year FTS :D

01-2015FTS640x470_zps5ddbd9df.jpg

Apologies for the reflections on the glass :rolleyes:

Beautiful! This has grown into one of my favorite tanks :wub:

Do you have things attached to the bottom glass, like the GSP? Or do they just go where they want to?

• Like 1

Your tank is looking absolutely stunning.

Also, could you share some of your rock-scaping expertise? I bought this cardiff a while back and want to do a vertical scape up the back wall. I've never scaped at all, so everything is new to me. Did you cement several pieces together to make your current scape, or did you just look around until you found the shapes you wanted? Do you have a favorite brand of glue? Also, if you could find time (I know I'm being a pain here), would you mind sharing some of your wisdom on your current coral placement? It seems like you have a really good layout, and judging by the coloration of the pieces, everybody in the tank is getting optimal light.

Thanks from your novice friend across the seas.

Beautiful! This has grown into one of my favorite tanks :wub:

Do you have things attached to the bottom glass, like the GSP? Or do they just go where they want to?

Thank you so much! :D

They're all resting on the sand, the GSP pretty much lays a mat and grows on the sand but it never attaches so I can easily move it around. That bare patch on the front is where the flow from the AC-110 bounces off the bottom of the tank so no matter how much sand I put on it, it's bare again the very next day :lol: The plate coral seems to love it though

Very pretty clam!!

Thank you! It's my latest addition and the current favorite critter :D

Your tank is looking absolutely stunning.

Also, could you share some of your rock-scaping expertise? I bought this cardiff a while back and want to do a vertical scape up the back wall. I've never scaped at all, so everything is new to me. Did you cement several pieces together to make your current scape, or did you just look around until you found the shapes you wanted? Do you have a favorite brand of glue? Also, if you could find time (I know I'm being a pain here), would you mind sharing some of your wisdom on your current coral placement? It seems like you have a really good layout, and judging by the coloration of the pieces, everybody in the tank is getting optimal light.

Thanks from your novice friend across the seas.

Thanks a lot Spenser! :)

I am no expert by any means but I'll try my best to help you out... ;) That looks like an awesome tank! Lots of potential for a tall scape! You could do a pillar of sorts with lots of staggered ledges jutting out around it and I'd suggest that you make it a free standing scape, not touching the back wall, to prevent dead spots and accumulation of detritus where the scape meets the back wall. The shape of your tank would facilitate a really good flow around the scape too, if you put it in the center.

I pretty much took a hammer to some pieces of rock and assembled them in a way that they were not only unique and natural looking but also stable and able to handle substantial weight and flow. I used a 2 part epoxy-based putty similar to commercial reef epoxy putty, it's called "selleys aqua knead it". You could also use large scallop shells as shelves by carving a notch on the rock and securing it in place with epoxy.

With regards to coral placement, they DIY LEDs that I use on the tank is quite powerful so initial coral placement was based purely on past experiences and research on the different corals' specific light intensity preferences. And even then, it was still mostly observing the corals on how they react to the light and positioning them in areas where their coloration or growth is best. For example, that pink birdsnest in the center started out as yellow but as I gradually moved from a slightly shaded area to it's current place, it shifted to pastel pink, some of the zoas also tend to have smaller more intense coloring but smaller polyps in high light but grow bigger and faster in the shaded areas (like the watermelon zoas under the pulsing xenias on the upper left). One mistake that I made though was to place the rainbow trachyphyllia front and center on the sand ( I mainly wanted it there to showcase its colors), this caused it to lose some of its color so I've now relocated it to a shaded zone on the sand (lower right, where the GSP is on the pic).

01-2015FTS640x470_zps5ddbd9df.jpg

Sorry for the veeerry long post, but I hope it helps! :lol:

• Like 2

No need to apologize! That was very helpful for me! I hadn't considered the freestanding scape, and it's something I definitely think I'll try now. Does that epoxy mixture you used cure underwater? I've been thinking about ordering some gulf rock, and this is a concern.

And thanks for elaborating on the coral placement. I am nervous/excited about it. I'm obviously a cycle and another soft-cycle away from even putting any coral in the tank, but hearing your experience gives me a better idea of what I'm getting into. A local reefer who is a chemist and works at a LED manufacturer told me a while back that when coral color up, what they're really doing is reflecting radiation that they don't need to photosynthesize and that will harm them if they absorb it. Your coloration vs. growth balance makes sense if what I understood my local reefer friend to be saying is true. Like I said, I'm pretty nervous about frying or starving a coral. I have a cheap light that has great color but isn't intensity-adjustable. I'll have to seek advice on it once I'm at the stocking phase.

Anywho, I'm living vicariously through your reef. Keep the photos and the info coming. It really is lovely. All the best.

• Like 1

Thank you so much! :D

They're all resting on the sand, the GSP pretty much lays a mat and grows on the sand but it never attaches so I can easily move it around. That bare patch on the front is where the flow from the AC-110 bounces off the bottom of the tank so no matter how much sand I put on it, it's bare again the very next day :lol: The plate coral seems to love it though

Thanks, Boo! That's what mine does too, but my cerith snails keep moving my GSP around and pushing it into other corals. I've never figured out a way to get it to stay put :angry:

• Like 1

No need to apologize! That was very helpful for me! I hadn't considered the freestanding scape, and it's something I definitely think I'll try now. Does that epoxy mixture you used cure underwater? I've been thinking about ordering some gulf rock, and this is a concern.

And thanks for elaborating on the coral placement. I am nervous/excited about it. I'm obviously a cycle and another soft-cycle away from even putting any coral in the tank, but hearing your experience gives me a better idea of what I'm getting into. A local reefer who is a chemist and works at a LED manufacturer told me a while back that when coral color up, what they're really doing is reflecting radiation that they don't need to photosynthesize and that will harm them if they absorb it. Your coloration vs. growth balance makes sense if what I understood my local reefer friend to be saying is true. Like I said, I'm pretty nervous about frying or starving a coral. I have a cheap light that has great color but isn't intensity-adjustable. I'll have to seek advice on it once I'm at the stocking phase.

Anywho, I'm living vicariously through your reef. Keep the photos and the info coming. It really is lovely. All the best.

Yup, I've tried different rock-scapes before and aside from the benefits I mentioned earlier, it's just easier to maintain a free standing scape, specially when you're at the early stages of the tank when algae is a pain and you have to resort to manual pruning of the stuff that fish wouldn't eat. Yup, it cures fairly quickly and can even be applied underwater, I've never tried it in a tank with an already established livestock though.

You're right! That actually makes sense! haha , I don't know what happened to my trachyphyllia though if that's the premise that we will base it on. I did some reading and there's a lot of people who've had theirs bleach in high light and recover colors in the shade. I guess Trachys are just weird that way. You can always set-up a rig to raise/lower your light even if it's not adjustable, at least you'll have some control over the intensity. Thanks!

Ask and you shall receive :lol:

Here's the hermit doing some housekeeping on the sps ledge

01-15hermitonmonti640x447_zps2d3d5c8a.jp

Thanks, Boo! That's what mine does too, but my cerith snails keep moving my GSP around and pushing it into other corals. I've never figured out a way to get it to stay put :angry:

You could position it next to a heavier rock and it'll soon attach to that, or leave a bare spot on the bottom of the tank where you want it and put it there. The GSP will stick to it eventually ;)

• Like 1

there's a lot of people who've had theirs bleach in high light and recover colors in the shade. I guess Trachys are just weird that way

My best guess is that if they're reflecting harmful radiation, white pigmentation would reflect all light wouldn't it, whereas black would be absorbing almost all light? Maybe a bleached trachy is trying to shield itself from a significant amount of light. My local friend also said that coral reflects light back at a slightly different wavelength than what is being directed at it, which is what makes certain corals appear to glow: like they're absorbing light we can't see but reflecting it back at a wavelength we can see.

Stunning blend of colors in that photo, btw.

• Like 1

Wow that clam is a beauty boo!

She's a stunner alright, Thank you Hype :D

My best guess is that if they're reflecting harmful radiation, white pigmentation would reflect all light wouldn't it, whereas black would be absorbing almost all light? Maybe a bleached trachy is trying to shield itself from a significant amount of light. My local friend also said that coral reflects light back at a slightly different wavelength than what is being directed at it, which is what makes certain corals appear to glow: like they're absorbing light we can't see but reflecting it back at a wavelength we can see.

Stunning blend of colors in that photo, btw.

That sounds really interesting..and makes a lot of sense. Hopefully what I did would help the trachy regain its colours. Thanks! Yeah, I was about to do a WC and noticed the nice contrast of the hermit's blue on the red monti, so I just had to take a pic :D

Nice aquascape and tank!

Cheers man!

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...