Coral Vue Hydros

Hvani's Nuvo 8-Clownfish Adventures!

HVani

Thanks! I adore this little tank. It actually makes me want to downsize my 65, but that is another story.

As for updates, I have been battling cyano in this tank and I'm finally getting the upper hand. Turns out clowns and NPS in an 8 gallon can cause problems lol. I've been doing 50% water changes weekly and I just beefed up my CUC.

Anyway I started feeding the sun coral in a separate container and it's coming back. It has started opening up in the evening when the blue light come on.

I will try and get some pictures soon. The tiny bubble tip lives in this tank right now and is doing awesome!

The sun coral I got at Reefwise is not opening either. I put it in a separate container with Larry's Reef Frenzy for an hour and still not opening. I will keep doing that every week I guess.

What did you get for your CUC? Does it help alot?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I ordered a CUC recharge for my 65 gallon then I took out some for this tank. I added 2 nass, a handful of dwarf ceriths, 2 ceriths and 2 small nerites. So far so good.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I trimmed some macros..

Are those Blue Ochtodes in the back? I tried getting some for my tank, but they ended up lost in transit for 6 days and arrived pretty much dead. I need to do a new FTS myself..

Are those Blue Ochtodes in the back? I tried getting some for my tank, but they ended up lost in transit for 6 days and arrived pretty much dead. I need to do a new FTS myself..

Yes they are :) It has grown really well in this tank. IN the spring I imagine I will need to sell some to thin it out. I got mine from keydiver.

That's where I got mine from (or at least we tried) He was really good about offering to replace them, but I need to wait for the weather to warm up before shipping anything else. I also got my RFA's from him this past summer. Those turned out to be a great buy. I just saw your 34 build thread. Going to follow that one too. Your setup is a lot like mine - A Nuvo 8 and a 30ish gallon too. I enjoy both of mine, but the 8 is my favorite since it's on my nightstand and it gets lots of 'look time'

I ordered the rest of my macros (blue scroll, flame and red grape) from got2envy. Sometimes she has blue ochtodes as well and she tends to ship over night.

I love these tanks and how different they are. The 8 gallon is on my computer desk and it's so much fun to watch the clowns do their thing. The 34 is in the same room but not much is in it yet. Should be more interested once it has more life.

Where is your 30 gallon? I haven't seen a link for that one.

It's a 28G that's in the living room. There's a link in my sig. I also have a 15g frag in my storage room. It's overflowing with frags and trades. I need to get some of that stuff sold.

My scroll came from Maria too. We went in together on the RFA group buy (we're pretty close to each other) and i got a chance to check her tanks. She's got some amazing stuff going on..

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice! I like the natural look with the macro algae and the mix of textures.

Thanks! This tank is so much fun and way different from anything else I have kept.

It's looking really good, I need to get some more pictures, I've just been so busy with work.

My sun coral is recovering but still not opening up on a regular basis, it's getting fed 3 times a week though and looks way better.

• 2 weeks later...

Came home from work the other day and only 1 clown was in the tank. The domino was happy to see me like normal but the misbar was no where to be seen. I have a screen top on this tank so it was just odd. I looked around the tank then looks in the return pump chamber. There she was wiggling like a puppy. The screen top is just a hair too small and there was a gap where she jumped and made it into the back section.

It was a nightmare trying to get her out! I have small hands but could not fit them in the back section. I had to use a tiny net and a spoon to corral her and get her back in the main section.

It was a nightmare trying to get her out! I have small hands but could not fit them in the back section. I had to use a tiny net and a spoon to corral her and get her back in the main section.

HA! That's what my clown did! Adventurous little tricksters!

.... where she jumped and made it into the back section.

I have a brittle star that loves climbing up into the overflow in my 8. At least once I week I find him back there..

It's really lucky she didn't end up on the floor...

Looks like the clowns had a scuffle last night. The misbar has some torn fins this morning. I always figured the misbar would end up being female, maybe they are still working it out.

Hmm so lighting...

The Micmol is working and my macros seem to really like it. I just feel I could get better color and better control ability from maybe a different light.

Might as well look at the options.

Not really looking to spend more than 250

I have a brittle star that loves climbing up into the overflow in my 8. At least once I week I find him back there..

It's really lucky she didn't end up on the floor...

Just wanted to thank you for this story - I couldn't find my red brittle starfish the other day and I remembered seeing this. Sure enough, he was in the back chamber :)

Wait, what is the big purpley thing right in the middle??

I think BF has that growing on one of his powerheads and we don't know what it is!

Archived