SaltCritters.com

New mantis checklist.

Dr.Brain Coral

API is fine for cycling. I use the ammonia one for my QT tank and it works.

If anything, just get a good Nitrate kit since thats the one you will continue to use. Then get an API ammonia, Nitrite.

When you have diatoms and GHA, the cycle is done. It's just a cycle, you don't need to get too serious about it.

RED SEA PRO Reef Foundation kit. 60$ and you get three, very accurate, easy to use test kits.

Pet mountain has it on sale for $35.

Awesome. About the Cuc should I wait to add nassarius till get a mantis shrimp?

Doesn't matter. It will probably eat nass snails :)

Pet mountain has it on sale for $35.

Overhead :(

that does piss me off though that our vendors sell to us wholesale, what online vendors can sell at retail.

• 3 weeks later...

I decided to check out your thread. Any new progress on the mantis tank? My son had a female mantis shrimp named Shakira when he was in high school. They are fascinating creatures.

Dr.Brain Coral

Complete planned coral and invert list

-Ricordea

-Zoas

-Rock flower nems

-Plate coral(only none Caribbean coral in tank)

-warty corallimorph

-curly que anemone

-Orange ball corallimorph

-Emerald or porcelian crab or snapping shrimp for the curly que

-Neogonodactylus wennerae

-various snails

-harlequin serpent star

I dont know what else I may end up doing something with less live stock

I just discovered a dark little guy (navy? purple? does it matter if he might molt and change color?), less than an inch long, hovering under the lip of my center rock. The last addition was live rock in April or so, so he managed to hide from me for this long in a Nuvo 16. I guess it wouldn't be too hard, considering how fast they are and how much more they can see, and that he'd be more likely to come out at night. Hopefully him coming out today means he's more comfortable with me as 'that thing that keeps peering into the tank all the time'. I have no idea what species he is; he only showed his body for about half a second before turning around and heading back into the rock (luckily for me, that likely means he's a burrower and smasher, not piercer and digger, because my sand is only an inch deep).

I'm going to be following this thread big time! I'm hoping he won't be a species that winds up outrageously large, so that I can keep him in there and he can be happy in the crevice-filled center rock. But he must've gotten his fill when I was feeding the clowns this morning, because no amount of krill could lure him out of his hiding spot the way it lured the remaining three nassarius snails (this explains where my snails have been going) and every bristleworm in the tank ever.

Good luck with this build! I think I'm going to post this in the mantis shrimp guide thread and see what people have to say. Hmm.

Archived