Pod Your Reef

Coral banded son of a b****

RonSwanson

What exactly is a "pain receptacle?" A harmful outlet?

Sorry I was drunk and I meant receptor

It's a shrimp.

To you and lawman

A.Yes I'm very mad

B.Im sorry in case you weren't aware I actually CARE for the animals we take out of the ocean and stick in glass boxes as some other people hae said,so because we do all these horrible things to the animals we can justify it by saying "oh it's just a dumb animal it doesn't feel anything"?Is that honestly your point of view

I think the shrimp would have died 1st in a crash. And I cry whenever I eat shrimp, but they are just so dang delicious. I alternate chew/sobbing.

emerald crab ate my chitton. then my snails, then my other crabs (basically everything that was eating the gha) and never touched the GHA he was bought to help exterminate. So I exterminated him. He had plenty of food, and chose the path of evil anyways.

Partially Submerged

I agree with the hippies in this thread. It's not the fact that a shrimp was killed. We kill plenty of things every time we squeeze out the filter pad. It's the "I don't care, it's just an XYZ" attitude. Just stupid. A trip to the LFS might have even gotten the OP some store credit. Large CBS sell for nice coin around here.

No reason to get so mad. This negative attitude breeds an atmosphere of fear to post unpopular topics or mistakes. Yeah, I agree the OP could have taken the shrimp to the LFS, but what if the LFS wouldn't take it? Or what if the LFS is garbage? The shrimp is just going to die a slow death then anyways. The OP did the right thing. He had an animal he could no longer care for and euthanized it in a completely acceptable manner. Its because of the people too afraid to kill an animal they bought that we have snakeheads in South Florida decimating the local fish population, anacharis clogging up rivers in the southeast US, pythons in the everglades, the list goes on. If you can't care for the animal and you can't take it somewhere else, euthanize it please and stop destroying our environments because you can't accept your responsibility.

The shrimp was clearly plotting to take everyone out as soon as you left town!!!

Reality though... everything probably died for other reasons and the shrimp didn't get a fair trial. Happens a lot. "oh god my zoa melted, PURGE!!!!!!" Just seems so unlikely it would kill everything the same few weeks you were out of town. While not probable... I suppose it is possible...

I am thankful I have a sump for time outs and jail sentences. I flushed some large bristleworms yesterday and felt really guilty (I know, I'm sick). :blink:

i kept a paradise gourami for 4 years with no other fish in tank with that mean sob because he would kill everything. I didn't have the heart to kill him but returning to lfs was not an option sooooo was stuck with him until luckily he found the 1 inch gap in my tank cover that I "neglected" to cover up.

On to coral banded murderers, I just don't see one taking out that many fish so quickly. Maybe I will have to try one out.

Partially Submerged

Seems to be an unpopular opinion, but again, its a shrimp.

Honestly, the hypocrisy about killing animals is nauseating.

Where do you see the hypocrisy? If you're going to say, "Most people eat meat around here," or, "No one cares about all the pods that get flushed out on maintenance day," that's true, but here is the difference (at least to me): If I put an animal into my tank, I make a commitment to taking care of it. The OP did what he had to do, and to me this is not about the one shrimp that got killed. I just don't like the indifference with which unwanted creatures are often discarded in our hobby. And that indifference is reflected in many of the posts here.

• 3 weeks later...

wasn't the shrimps fault, it was because the tank wasn't fed enough. have you ever been freezing cold? there's nothing humane about it. it's a slow and painful way to die. could have been avoided with an easy trip to the lfs. even a shitty lfs won't kill a CBS. they even survive at petco. just because you eat animals doesn't make it ok to kill your pets. that is just messed up. and yea, i don't like reading posts about unwanted crabs being killed. i love all crabs. especially when the posts are bragging about killing crabs. it's distasteful. i bought a xanthid crab from the lfs the other day and he is awesome. not long ago most people were killing mantis shrimp.

Archived