SaltCritters.com

Coral banded son of a b****

RonSwanson

Guess I just want to commiserate: I knew coral banded "could" be aggressive but I've been keeping them for years and never saw anything like this.

Got a new one a few months ago and he doubled in size. On a two week trip I returned to find he had killed everything moving in my tank! Two clowns, a bi-color Blenny, a hawk fish, and a beautiful starfish.

He made a trip to a frozen plastic bag, death penalty for the convicted felon.

Anyone ever had one THAT aggressive though?!

my_sons_reef

In one of the first tanks I set up I had one because they looked very cool. I made an impulse buy as a noob. The next morning I found 2 dead clowns, a dead lawn mower blenny, and a damsel.

Snow_Phoenix

Are you sure he killed them and your tank didn't crash over the weekend and he was merely eating the remains? Sorry for sounding skeptical but I find it unusual that the shrimp went on a rampage.

Wasn't an impulse buy, tank didn't crash. I think the person looking after my tank didn't feed it much though.

Snow_Phoenix

Wasn't an impulse buy, tank didn't crash. I think the person looking after my tank didn't feed it much though.

I can't say much since I've learnt to steer away from this shrimp completely after reading other people's horrific experience with them. But did you anyway do a parameter check to make sure your system is still stable? All those deaths could trigger an ammonia spike, but I'm just guessing here.

Anyways, hope you get everything back on track soon - and get a friendlier shrimp next time! ;)

Thanks. I ran a check, phosphates went up a teeny bit above zero, calcium went down a tiny amount, no biggies. Think I'll just get some sexy shrimp or something next time.

Most hawkfish prey on shrimp. Your shrimp was the survivor of some type of spike most likely my guess is the starfish died and caused a spike that killed all your fish. I actually had to remove all my shrimp I had left in a tank to keep my hawkfish. I have had a coral banded but got rid of him because I never saw him.

He made a trip to a frozen plastic bag, death penalty for the convicted felon.

hmmmm. maybe the shrimp needed a better lawyer! No appeal? :unsure:

• 5 weeks later...

My question is are you sure it was your coral banded? I am thinking something died and caused a chain reaction. I don't know if you had someone house sitting or not, leaving fish 2 weeks could cause a problem like starvation and death. If you did have someone house sitting did they overfeed and cause a spike that worked itself out before you got home.

You could have saved the shrimps life by giving it away. I have given away animals rather than killing them and have also taken peoples problem animals so they didn't get killed.

My parting thought is these animals weren't ask to be taken out of the ocean and stuck in our tank then killed out of spite.

You should feed his frozen shrimp rear-end to the fish that you restock with! I would say the tank was not fed enough and the shrimp took feeding matters into his own claws when the fish began to weaken from lack of nutrition. If there was a crash the shrimp would have died before most fish..

• 1 month later...

Wow...just wow.How could you do something that horrible to another living thing.It did what it does and was eating,it's not its fault!It doesn't think," oh this is a 30$ fish...better not eat it!" It sees "I'm hungry and that fish is vulnerable" even though it doesn't have as large a brain,it still has(or should I say had because some ***hole decided to kill it for no good reason) pain recpeticals.How would you like to be frozen to death?Yeah I'm sure you would start crying thinking what did I do to deserve this.You're no better then the people who bet their dogs cuz they pee on the carpet after not being let out all day.

Wow...just wow.How could you do something that horrible to another living thing.It did what it does and was eating,it's not its fault!It doesn't think," oh this is a 30$ fish...better not eat it!" It sees "I'm hungry and that fish is vulnerable" even though it doesn't have as large a brain,it still has(or should I say had because some ***hole decided to kill it for no good reason) pain recpeticals.How would you like to be frozen to death?Yeah I'm sure you would start crying thinking what did I do to deserve this.You're no better then the people who bet their dogs cuz they pee on the carpet after not being let out all day.

It's a shrimp.

http://s915.photobucket.com/user/Lwnman/media/77596b5c-3bb4-42e3-808f-5e710b94bc39.jpg.html'>77596b5c-3bb4-42e3-808f-5e710b94bc39.jpg

I just reread all this again after someone bumped it up. Anyone see he was gone for 2 weeks and all the fish died? My thought still is there was a spike that killed everything and the shrimp managed to survive. Then he froze a living animal. I am sorry for the shrimp she didn't ask to be taken out of the ocean and stuck in a glass box to be left for 2 weeks to survive. Was there any tests at the times of the deaths? If you wanted a coral banded shrimp get a male.

This is the type of person that whines why is the government wanting to control the hobby.

I just reread all this again after someone bumped it up. Anyone see he was gone for 2 weeks and all the fish died? My thought still is there was a spike that killed everything and the shrimp managed to survive. Then he froze a living animal. I am sorry for the shrimp she didn't ask to be taken out of the ocean and stuck in a glass box to be left for 2 weeks to survive. Was there any tests at the times of the deaths? If you wanted a coral banded shrimp get a male.

This is the type of person that whines why is the government wanting to control the hobby.

What if the shrimp was captive breed?

What if the shrimp was captive breed?

So what if it was?

The tank was left alone for 2 weeks. The shrimp grew large because it was a female not because it was going to turn into a genocide maniac. Did the fish die or did the starfish die set off an ammonia spike that killed the fish. Maybe the hawkfish decided to kill the clown fish since they are usually more aggressive than the clowns in my experience. Maybe the heater stuck on and it the tank got overheated. Maybe the ATO went crazy and dumped freshwater in the tank. Corals and invertebrates survive heat better than fish in my experience.

Why kill something because you suspect it did something? I have lost 2 blennys to 2 different anemones guess what I still have my anemones I didn't rip them out of my tank and stick them in my freezer. The first blenny swam right into the anemone the second one the anemone moved to its favorite hole. I won't put another blenny in either tank. If I woke up tomorrow and decided my anemones were murderous monsters I would look and find them a good home. I would probably drive to the persons house with them to check out their tank to see if it was better than I was providing for them.

Archived