inTank Media Baskets

NEW Tunze 9001 Initial Review!

broodc2

I'm having the same issue with bubbles. I can mess around with it to get diminished bubbles but they wont go away completely. Going on day 4 now. I actually took it out of my tank after getting frustrated. I didn't try it with the air hose closed off, or slightly open, like others have but when I close it, it puts out crazy bubbles. I will give it a try tho. I was actually worried that I had put it together wrong but after consulting the manual it looks like I did it right....

Try pointing the intake of the motor towards the clear plastic piece, did that on mine and although I still have a few microbubbles for the most part they are all gone. The ones that are left just could be left over, will update in few days. My tank doesn't have much of a bioload since I just recently transfered to it from my 75g and only brought over live rock and 2 clowns so I'm not getting very dark skimmate but the neck was definetly dirty when i just pulled it out to clean it. Hope this helps.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've done some testing to try and figure this out. I pulled the skimmer out of the back of the tank and put it in the front so I could see better while trying some stuff. Put it in the tank at the water mark level on the case wide open and microbubbles just pouring out the bottom (removable clear plastic piece at the bottom) collection cup doesn't overflow but tons of bubbles are pouring out of the bottom. Raised the level of the skimmer higher and lower and no help. Put it back at the water mark level and closed the air valve and same thing. The only thing I can do to help is to rotate the pump so that the inlet faces the removable plastic piece which seems to suck all those bubbles back into the pump. Which orientation are you all using? Does it seem normal that with the "standard" configuration to get all of these bubbles? Looking over the manual it talks about bubbles coming out of that section that it could be caused from startup phase but I've had this thing for a few weeks already.

i could have wrote this post...i did all the same things! moved it to my display to see what was going on, raised/lowered it, messed with air intake valve... i also ended up switching the pump orientation. it has -reduced- the microbubbles, but not eliminated them entirely. i'd really love to have none like i did pre-skimmer.

Because of the last couple post I decided to pull mine out and turn the pump back around to the shipping setup and reinstall. Everything seems to be fine now.

Had bubble at first then realized I left the plastic cup part off. Put that on and everything is running fine, no bubbles.

I have had the same issues as most of the posts here either with micro bubbles or cup filling up too fast. I have contacted IM as well and have found a solution that works for me some hope this may help out some of you too. I now have the least amount of air bubbles since in have installed the unit & am great stinky skim that now looks more like gunk that just tainted water.

First, my config, is leaving the bubble diffuser on, intake pointing inward towards eliminator (factory setting).

Next was i raised my water level over an couple of inches so in the back chamber its above my skimmer & heater column baffles (IM says its okay to do so if you have an ATO???)

Then have the skimmer set @ water level marking on unit.

Last is to leave the air adjustment screw open at the beginning, start tightening up the screw a few turns every day till you get the right amount of foaming.

This is what worked for me on my set up but i do think each set up is different so i believe each will have to experiment to find a working solution. Quite frustrating over the first two weeks but I'm sure it will be worth it.

My set up below:

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/349993-dr-fus-innovative-marine-micro-30-build-questions/?p=4805475

post-82698-0-77266900-1411486113_thumb.jpg

Hey guys, appreciate all the input.

I set it back up last night, tried a bunch of stuff, and still the same thing.. so I got that wild hair I've been feeling for a while and decided SCREW IT! Im slapping a 10 gallon sump under my 17 gallon rimless tank. I'm getting sick of the clutter in the show tank and I really been wanting one for easier water changes and just to be cool. :) Anyways, I'm just going to drill out the back panel behind the surface skimmer box I already have installed and plumb it. Then I'm going to put the 9001 in the sump and let it go to hell! I'll just put a fine polishing sponge under my return pump intake to strain out the bubble and let it work its self out.

Besides the bubbles, it really is a nice product. starting day one it was pulling out almost a half full collection cup of brown water every day. So it must kick ass. And it is actually very quiet. And small.

Ill get it figured out.

so for the past few days my micorbubble problem was pretty minimal but then i realized it was because i'd raised the skimmer so high it wasn't collecting any more liquid :/

so i lowered it to a level where it could actually be productive again and my display is filled with bubbles.

i guess i've got to contact tunze because this just doesn't seem right. and this is with it installed in the back of an AIO tank with baffling. there's just SO MANY bubbles they find a way through to the pump chamber.

Sorry, guys, but i am Italian, are hard to understand the translation. Do I have trouble Micro I read, I seem to understand what are agreeing to a common solution, i understand that the solution is better than the factory with the grill of suction removable facing the transparent plastic, correct?

Thank you.

Sorry, guys, but i am Italian, are hard to understand the translation. Do I have trouble Micro I read, I seem to understand what are agreeing to a common solution, i understand that the solution is better than the factory with the grill of suction removable facing the transparent plastic, correct?

Thank you.

Hes, in my situation it is, yours could be different

Finally I was able to eliminate over 90% of the microbubbles produced by my Skimmer 9001 I followed one of the recommendations written by a user on these pages, turning the suction grille to the front (factory setting), the microbubbles that float behind the piece called outlet, are largely sucked into the pump. My tank is still saturated with oxygen, as soon as the level will drop, will eliminate most of the microbubbles remained. I do not know if this can be the solution for everyone, in my case the problem was due to the flow of the pump MP10 that directed towards the skimmer, remitted circulating microbubbles formed behind the 'outlet. I think the 9001 is one skimmer to be placed in a very quiet area, or in tanks with rear filter area. But it is still the 'only solution if you are looking for a nano skimmer.

post-84498-0-68282800-1411993747_thumb.jpg I think I see clearly how few are the microbubbles.

• 5 months later...

I have my 9001 running pretty good. I'm very happy with it so far .I have it in a 12 long utilizing the surface skimmer tube. The water mark is about a 1/4 above the waterline running wide open. It's been making a light to medium green tea colored waste. Only a few micro bubbles when I restart it. I'm still trying to fine tune it for a little darker and drier waste. I've only been running it for 2 weeks. Does the waste get darker with break in? Any suggestions on fine tuning?

• 3 months later...

Should I have the intake inside the plastic piece?

I noticed, if I turn it around so the intake is away from the plastic piece I get better foaming, but if I go to factory with the intake inside the plastic housing, it doesn't foam as easily or quickly even with the air wide open

• 2 months later...

Just got it, if I set all open air i will get the cup full in less then a minute

In video i hardly hear bubbling sound with cup on but i can clearly hear on mine

not sure if is for break in period

Just got it, if I set all open air i will get the cup full in less then a minute

In video i hardly hear bubbling sound with cup on but i can clearly hear on mine

not sure if is for break in period

It will take a little while to break in. They are not dead silent though. At least mine isn't. Sounds like to me you have it set too deep. My air line has been wide open and I have never adjusted it.

just notice that mine has a little difference from other 9001 in picture / video on internet at air silence box are connected 2 tube:

a long one that goes to skimmer and a really short one where air gets in

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
LJMitchell87

If I'm using this skimmer in my sump is there any reason not to use the surface skimmer attachment or does it change the whole system?

broodc I have the nuvo 20g and was wondering if you would be willing to post a couple pictures of everything you have arranged in your overflow/back of your tank. I am looking at getting a media reactor and 9001 skimmer. Would like to see how you got everything to fit.

Archived