~ReeVo's 15G-Cube Hybrid Reef Build~

ReeVo

So i'm sure most are wondering "what the hell is a hybrid reef"???

Wasn't really sure what else to call it but it made sense.

I really enjoy DIY projects and all these ideas all come from my sick twisted mind. What if I was to transform an Aquaclear 110 into a baffled sump "like" filter? That's the project I'm working on and I will guide you is to how I do it. As for now, I just rendered what it will look like so the final result will be a clean and functional filter.

The reason behind this is that I am a firm believer in surface and protein skimming. I am an SPS freak and I want to build low nutrient nano reef in my room that's quiet-ish. I know there are other ways of having a low nutrient nano reef but this is how I'm going to do it.

I also have a 50G reef ready tank and I don't feel like hearing sloshing water and gurgling in my room while I'm trying to sleep. That would just bug the crap out of me and make me want to throw it out the window. So a modified HOB filter is my best alternative.

I've used my overflow design on 2 different tanks and they are phenomenal. Skims the surface of the water, while at the same time, agitating it. I place filter floss on the platform with the holes in it. It does a great job capturing debris and polishing the water. The water fluctuates in the overflow chamber so an ATO switch is almost necessary. This same design is on my friends nano reef tank (that I also built) http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/340896-75-gallon-mr-aqua-tank/ and it does a great job cleaning and topping off.

Here's what it will look like. Hope you guys like it.

AC1.jpg

AC2.jpg

The big black box (no homo for you sick bastards lol) on the right side of the baffles is the skimmer. I will be using the new Tunze 9001 nano skimmer and it should fit in this position due to it's very small footprint. From there you can see the baffles, which is to get rid of as many bubbles as possible created by the skimmer. On the left side of the baffles is a pump that's attached to a bulkhead. This pump is going to run my carbon/gfo reactor that's going to be in my stand. The filtered water will be dumped straight back into the display tank. Above the pump is a piece of eggcrate being held up with acrylic. This will only be used if I decide to use any other kind of media like Purigen, ect...

AC3.jpg

AC4.jpg

I almost forgot to mention, there is a probe holder on the right side of the skimmer box. I'm going to monitor Temp, pH, and salinity with my Apex.

AC5.jpg

I hope you guys enjoy this build. It's going to take me a little while to build this but just follow along and enjoy :)

Archived