inTank Media Baskets

The *NEW* Tunze 9001 is Here!

inTank

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have the Tunze 9001 installed in chamber 2 in my Coralife Biocube 29

When I do a feeding and the return pump turns off, which also turns off the skimmer. The collection cup from the skimmer floats up and off the skimmer since the water level increases because the return pump is off.

Any suggestions to remedy this?

Thanks,

JCase

Add a little bit of weight to the lid? A few spare magnets, put something heavy inside the cup. Rubble piece, dead hookers parts etc.

When I do a feeding and the return pump turns off, which also turns off the skimmer. The collection cup from the skimmer floats up and off the skimmer since the water level increases because the return pump is off.

Where do you run your water level at in chamber two?

• 2 weeks later...
jamescstein

I have the Tunze 9001 installed in chamber 2 in my Coralife Biocube 29

Any suggestions to remedy this?

Thanks,

JCase

I've got 3 2" ceramic frag plugs sitting on top of mine. If I don't put them there and the cup is empty it will float when I turn the pump off.

Where do you run your water level at in chamber two?

3.25 inchs down from the top lip of the back rim of the coralife biocube 29

Which is also 3 inch below the divider between chamber 2 and 3

(Hope that makes sense, if not I'll take a picture of it)

In chamber 3 the ato float maintains the level at 3.25 inches below the divider between chamber 2 and 3

I find adjusting the height of the skimmer to the water level in chamber 2 to be a pita.

I have an idea that I'm going to work on next week if I have time to make it very adjustable.

I'll post pictures if it works out.

It seems I produce a lot more skuz overnight then I do during the day.

My cup is full most mornings, but running all day very little is produced.

Has anybody else observed this, or is it unique to my setup?

9001 in a IM 25 Lagoon

WP_20160326_018.jpg

split the plastic on the magnet.. this will give you just enough room to glue it to the side of the skimmer and set the skimmer in the middle chamber... this is much, much easier than it looks. a hacksaw blade in hand cuts nicely, the gap lets it "self guide"

WP_20160326_001.jpg

the Y in the back will need to be re-split to allow room... I opted for 2 new pumps to run the lines straight up. these are adjustable flow, and worked out perfect. cut the 1/2" ID tubing to 6.25" lengths

sand the plastic on the magnet smooth and glue it to the "long Side"

WP_20160326_003.jpg

done :)

WP_20160326_019.jpg

notice I added a little needle valve.. precise/easy adjusting

also, don't worry about trying to cram the pumps off to the side or monkeyed around... set them down in straight, everything will have plenty of room.. adjust the flow you want on the pumps first.. that part is a pain later.

note: I also did this to be able to put one of the pumps on a battery backup

this morning I got up and made an "L" bracket that sits upside down under the skimmer to keep it from drifting around.. you can be a little more forceful with it and it keeps it at the height I want.

anyone working with kydex? you can heat it with a micro torch and bend it to where you want it... it's what I make a lot of little mods.

the .060 thickness is best for tank applications.. find it on fleabay

• 11 months later...

In the manual it says Skimmer needs to be in a quiet low flow area? I want to put in my 17gallon cube in the display tank that has high flow and has an ATO. Will it not work properly since it's high flow?

Archived