Top Shelf Aquatics

Drama's 125 build progress (build progress)

Dramad1

Thank you^^^. After staring at it now for a few hours, I think I will just make a bub trap before the return and leave the fuge out. Keep it simple for now. I am also thinking I will ditch the sock holder and make a chamber for my drains and have the water flow up over the chamber/wall and into a sock. This will free up a few more inches in the sump

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

10 mins of sanding with the palm sander and fits like a glove. I have some measuring to do now as well as figuring how tall I want the water line. Acrylic cutter works awesome.

20140914_143659_zpsaaw8ydjw.jpg

I received my return pump today. I went with the jabeo 12000. I was also looking at the dc reef octopus 10500 but can not find it anywhere. It is also 300$. I will give the 12000 a whirl and see how it goes. I chose this pump so I can adjust the flow as needed as well as price. I originally was going to go with a 1262 or 1260 or possibly even a mag 18. I hope all works well with it and I have no issues with it.

20140921_104036_zps9dfunnuf.jpg

I started working on the sump last week, weekend went by to fast and I didn't have time to do much other than sand down the bubble trap baffles to fit snug. After taking a look online at pictures and videos of diy sumps and looking at my huge sock holder, I think I want to change up my design.

I think I'm going to ditch the sock holder and build something like this:

20140920_151649_zpsufxam2s0.jpg

Instead of the triple sock holder, I was thinking of making that area into a lil Filter floss section and ditch the socks all together. It would look similar to the pic above, the drain would go into the first compartment and then overflow into the floss and into the skimmer section. Can anyone chime in on this idea. I want to make more room in the skimmer section by eliminating the huge sock holder. Plus I also have 3 drain pipes and the sock holder I have only has room for 1. Im open to ideas

Socks are better.

You can wash them in washer.

They come in different filtering sizes, 50, 100, 200 micron for example.

Dont run drain into socks, make a drain chamber that flows into the sock. That way you dont have to fight a slippery slimey drain pipe to change sock.

Watch "DIY Awesome Sump Design" on YouTube

DIY Awesome Sump Design:

This is smaller than what you need but the concept is the same.

Side view

20140728_11301_edit_1406573513293.jpg

When sock is full, it flows over that little lip, makes sloshing sound letting you know sock needs changing.

Whats really great about a sock, siphon cleaning is a breeze no hassle deal. Just put end of siphon tubing in sock, and suction out everything til tank is clean. Take out tube, take out sock and throw in the washer, easy peazy

Maybe I will switch to a single 4" sock instead of 7". Do they make socks smaller than 4"? Maybe run 3x 3" socks or 2x 4" socks. I was thinking floss so I could just throw it out and replace with new, not having to wash anything.

Nice find.. I've been trying to find one locally(Instead of paying $$$ for shipping), eventually settled for a 30g drum.

Subscribed !

New store in town had a soft open today, so i went and checked it out. Came home with this.....

20140816_190621_zpsumqgcsfj.jpg

Thanks.

I picked this up at tractor supply. They just had a grand opening a few months ago and got it for 70$ I believe. I still need to build a lil stand for it, I want it about 2 feet off the ground so I can fill 5gal buckets when needed. Also have been debating on picking up another for a mixing station. I can then build a beefy stand to hold both of them.

http://s982.photobucket.com/user/dramad1/media/20140921_104036_zps9dfunnuf.jpg.html]20140921_104036_zps9dfunnuf.jpg[/url]

I got the DC6000 for my saltwater mixing station. I have only 2 complaints. First isn't really a complaint as its my fault. I tried to use it externally and it leaked from the housing. It's not designed for is. Second is a complaint. I have a 32 gallon brute can I use for mixing salt water. The temp in the can without the pump running was 74. After running the pump over night it jumped to 84. 10 degrees is a lot of heat for a pump. I wanted one to replace my mag7 return pump but I'm afraid it will raise my tank temp too much.

http://s982.photobucket.com/user/dramad1/media/20140921_104036_zps9dfunnuf.jpg.html]20140921_104036_zps9dfunnuf.jpg[/url]

I got the DC6000 for my saltwater mixing station. I have only 2 complaints. First isn't really a complaint as its my fault. I tried to use it externally and it leaked from the housing. It's not designed for is. Second is a complaint. I have a 32 gallon brute can I use for mixing salt water. The temp in the can without the pump running was 74. After running the pump over night it jumped to 84. 10 degrees is a lot of heat for a pump. I wanted one to replace my mag7 return pump but I'm afraid it will raise my tank temp too much.

Great, not what I wanted to hear about the temp. From my understanding this is a submersible pump only. Hmmmm. We will see how it goes, another thing to add to the always growing list "chiller".

Thanks for your review.

Thanks.

I picked this up at tractor supply. They just had a grand opening a few months ago and got it for 70$ I believe. I still need to build a lil stand for it, I want it about 2 feet off the ground so I can fill 5gal buckets when needed. Also have been debating on picking up another for a mixing station. I can then build a beefy stand to hold both of them.

Yeah, $75 here. Using yours as a reservoir for freshwater and another for mixing saltwater would be cool. I may go the route of using a 20g rubbermaid brute for mixing saltwater and using an old Eheim 1048 for agitation and delivery.

:)

Good evening.

Well I thought I'd try making a different style sock holder than what I have. Plan is to make something like this:

20140920_151649_zpsufxam2s0.jpg

but instead of 3 socks, I would just use one rectangle sock. Hmmm. Well I cut the first piece today after I got home from work. I took a few measurements and got it cut out fairly quickly using a dremel and cut off wheel. Only tool I had up for the task. I still need to sand the edges as even as possible and then cut out the walls for either side.

thought I would share and see what everyone thinks about my "idea" lol

20141002_155809_zpsjo3gqaov.jpg

20141002_155722_zps9cocjwee.jpg

In other news, I plan to accelerate this build a lil in the next few weeks so I can finish mocking up my plumbing and get the tank water tested and in its spot in the house. Still the build will be a while before its wet. I also need to get the lighting figured out, what am I going to run?

I got my dual reactor in last week. I had put it on an email notification when md would have it back in stock. They sent me an email and I placed my order a lil to quickly. The nxt day after it shipped, I wished I would have picked up 2 individual reactors instead of the dual reactor. I would prefer better control over flow through both reactors individually rather than together. Oh well, going to make due with what I got for now. Hope it works well

20140929_181501_zpsd2uudind.jpg

all I got for now. Plan to focus on the sump some more this weekend and hopefully be satisfied with it and ready for.welding

So last night I traded in this

F0B9F509-6F0E-4ED1-B3C6-9701A919B45C_zps

for this

20141004_085128_zps9alfronc.jpg

it was time to part ways with my beloved truck.

Plan to keep it stock for now.

This holds up my lighting for this build. Thankfully I have pretty much everything else to get this build going besides lighting, imo the most important part.

Had to share. Enjoy

• 4 weeks later...

Update

After a few weeks of no progress on the build, I had to do something to move this build along.

Sump baffles are cut but I am still trying to decide on how I'm going to cut out the sock overflow baffle to accommodate 3 drains. Just some measurements to take and I may tackle the sump again tomorrow, final prep for weldon.

I went to the lfs today, talked a bit about lighting and I ended up picking up 2x Radions. I probably need 1 or even 2 more for this build, need to save up again. I also picked up a set of tir lenses. I Need to pick up one more set and try them out and possibly eliminate the need for a third Radion. I have a nanobox tide I can throw in the middle of the tank for now until I have the funds for 1 or 2 more.

20141101_135646_zpsarnz5tfy.jpg

20141101_135711_zps1iln54pp.jpg

I plan to attempt to move the cad34 gal about 10ft over and make room for my stand, start setting this tank up, plumbing and sump all figured out tomorrow if I have enough time.

Big thanks to Marc at AW for taking the time and hooking me up as well as the zeovit talk. Sweet to see other zeo users as well as lfs with zeo tanks.

Radion's, nice choice! I think those will do much better than the Razors.

Thanks. I have always wanted to try the Radions, after being unable to decide, I said why not and picked them up. After seeing the size of them over the tank, looks like I may need 2 or even 3 more. :(, pricey.

Curious how it would look if I put my 4x24" ati fixture in the middle of the tank and a radion on either side. Would that be ghetto? Color blend?

I also need to figure out hanging options, I kind of like the new hanging arm but like the hanging wire kit better. I would like to mount the lights on a rail as well. Have to do more research on hanging options.

After the morning wc change, some work on the sump was in order.

I need to order a few more pieces to make another baffle before the skimmer, like a lil bubble trap before the skimmer and another short baffle after the bubble trap on the other end before the return.

After a few football games and a wild nascar race, Im finished for the night, ordering a few more pieces and going to focus on cad34 tank move to make room for this tank

Pics

The sock holder

20141102_090732_zpsuyw893mw.jpg

20141102_090732_zpsuyw893mw.jpg

20141102_094914_zps5fzwqa9n.jpg

20141102_100912_zps6dfcidpq.jpg

20141102_141938_zpsm6xurg1x.jpg

20141102_153335_zps28nef3t6.jpg

20141102_160146_zps02ktr9dy.jpg

20141102_160335_zpspzhxgtq6.jpg

20141102_160410_zpsrbowhmbk.jpg

20141102_160548_zpssyf21xfc.jpg

:) another step closer :).

Tank is on the stand awaiting plumbing and sump. I plan to install bulkheads and the 3 down pipes this evening and possibly finish welding my sump up as well as figure the mounts out for my returns.

Im just about 50% there, stay tuned.

Cell pics:

20141109_142458_zpsmmuknjrw.jpg

20141109_142523_zpsqeqbe17y.jpg

20141109_142548_zpstgjcqttm.jpg

20141109_142612_zps9cttazgj.jpg

20141109_142704_zpsyoo4iffe.jpg

beamswork 400 will be used for lighting the sump and stand. The cad34 in the background will turn into a hospital/ quarantine tank for this tank.

Archived